Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have internet memes (troll, fail, and so on) become too mainstream? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, Daniel Hannan used 'troll' on one of his newspaper blogs, the other day.

Have internet memes lost their effect due to overuse and use by non-4chan-esque circles?

ReputationRep:
    "Troll" isn't a meme; it's a word with a new definition that has evolved through the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I hate those words.

ReputationRep:
    thread FAIL.

ReputationRep:

Lawl WUT?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry there are new meme's being cultivated in the darkest reaches of the interwebs to take the place of those that have become overused :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I only really see them on the internet. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    I HATE when people talk like this, even on forums. How about you just use usual English. Right, I get it, you're part of the 'internet culture', you don't have to make sure I know it through your witty posts. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    4chan is full of childish **** anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Don't worry there are new meme's being cultivated in the darkest reaches of the interwebs to take the place of those that have become overused :p:
    Like Milhouse?

ReputationRep:
    yeah:sigh:

Lolwut

ReputationRep:
    I bloody hate "fail". It's a verb, not a ******* noun or an adjective. You can fail. You can be a failure. But you can't be fail.

ReputationRep:
    why would becoming mainstream be a bad thing to call it becoming "too mainstream"?
    this way if you say "fail" in real life, if it is indeed mainstream, people won't look at you as being a moron for saying it since they'll understand what you mean...
    is this the same complaint people have against indie bands that gain recognition and become "too mainstream" (the one's where the music doesn't change, they just get a much larger audience)?

ReputationRep:
    yes.

ReputationRep:
    Some memes have become overpopularised - fail, lolcats etc. - but there are still OVER NINE THOUSAND which are specific enough to geekier areas of the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I bloody hate "fail". It's a verb, not a ******* noun or an adjective. You can fail. You can be a failure. But you can't be fail.
    Yes, you can...if your name was 'fail'.

Fail.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    lol ´´ ooooo look at me i went on 4chan for a day and i know some stuff lets use it all and look cool! WOOOO´´

Oh god, I mean seriously is there any kind of worse person in the world than the ones who complain about 4chan becoming too mainstream?

ReputationRep:
    damn. i should have seen this coming before i invented "fail" back in 04.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.