Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused as to which year you would do Further Maths. Is it in Yr 13, or do you have to start in Yr 12? If I'm doing maths AS in yr 12, can I still go on to do full Further Maths A Level?

ReputationRep:
    i am starting in year 13 well this september coming going to do full year hopefully
    but its best to start in year 12

ReputationRep:
    I think it has been changed from last September! I chose Maths and Further Maths (Edexcel) and I've done AS Maths and AS Further Maths for the first year of A'levels so they've changed it from before doing the whole of Maths A'level in the first year and the whole of Further Maths in the second year.

Plus they've revised the Further maths modules and made them a lot easier and accessible for AS Maths students (like FP1 which used to be so hard, IMO is easier than C2 now so its a lot better). However the second year will be a bit tricky with the other FP units and C4 which I've heard is quite hard aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:excel4100%:.)
    I think it has been changed from last September! I chose Maths and Further Maths (Edexcel) and I've done AS Maths and AS Further Maths for the first year of A'levels so they've changed it from before doing the whole of Maths A'level in the first year and the whole of Further Maths in the second year.

Plus they've revised the Further maths modules and made them a lot easier and accessible for AS Maths students (like FP1 which used to be so hard, IMO is easier than C2 now so its a lot better). However the second year will be a bit tricky with the other FP units and C4 which I've heard is quite hard aswell
    I'm looking to take Maths and Further Maths, do you think FP1 relies heavily on C3 and C4 or is it now more easier while taking AS Maths in C1 and C2 if you understand what I mean lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    I'm looking to take Maths and Further Maths, do you think FP1 relies heavily on C3 and C4 or is it now more easier while taking AS Maths in C1 and C2 if you understand what I mean lol
    They've changed the syllabus so that FP1 doesn't rely on anything else but C1 and C2 knowldge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapha)
    They've changed the syllabus so that FP1 doesn't rely on anything else but C1 and C2 knowldge.
    Oh ok thanks, hopefully I'll be able to handle A levels maths work.

ReputationRep:
    We started in year 12.

ReputationRep:
    like any other exam...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the college. I had to do a 1 yr Maths intensive in L6 and a 1 yr Further Maths intensive in U6. Other people do AS of both in the L6 and A2 of both in U6. As your staff. Although i think the second is more common

ReputationRep:
    depends- at my school we do it at the same time as everything else- ie AS in y12 and A2 in y13, but apparently lots of people do AS and A2 maths in y12, and then AS and A2 further maths in y13... which seems to make a lot more sense than our system, but then again there's only 5 of us taking fm in our year, so rejigging the entire maths timetable just for us seems a bit much...

ReputationRep:
    Did it very unusually over three years in year 11 , lower sixth and upper sixth as I'd done the GCSE in year 10.Completed most the AS Maths units in year 11 (C1,C2,S1) , in lower sixth I did A2 units and some towards the A2 in FM (C3,C4,D1,M1,M2) , completing it in upper sixth(FP1,FP2,FP3,M3).

The people who did the AS in FM also completed the A-level Maths in lower sixth (they also did S1 in year 11) then did modules towards the AS FM in upper sixth.

ReputationRep:
    We're starting in Year 13 but its only an AS

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the school. Some schools, including my own, opt to study Further Maths along with Maths throughout Year 12. That is, studying FP1 and the two other modules (which sometimes the students can choose, depending on the number of people doing it and resources available) along with C1, C2 and the other option module. This helped me when I studied because some FP1 knowledge, for example Comparing Co-efficients, aided with C2 work. Therefore, 3 modules each are completed in Year 12 for Maths and Further Maths.

Other schools choose to do 6 maths modules in Year 12 (C1-4, 2 other modules) and 6 Further Maths modules (FP1-2, 4 other modules) in Year 13.

It's all up to the school really.

ReputationRep:
    We do AS maths and further in year 13, then A2 maths in Jan and A2 further in May time

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, it's not true that further maths has been revised so that it only needs AS knowledge.

Some boards have changed, not all.

And it depends on how your college teaches it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Just so you know, it's not true that further maths has been revised so that it only needs AS knowledge.
    I think it is just WJEC which is a FP1-as-A2 specification, making AS Further Maths dependent on A2 Maths. CIE also falls into this category, though it has no units.

Edexcel changed their FP1-as-A2, dependent on C4 to FP1-as-AS, dependent on C2, in 2008. The new version takes over from after Jan 2010, continuing until 2012 / whenever the next reform is.

AQA, OCR, OCR MEI, CCEA, all had their FP1-as-AS, dependent on C2, from the beginning of the C/FP system, in 2004/5, which will continue until 2012 / whenever the next reform is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaelyus)
    I think it is just WJEC which is a FP1-as-A2 specification, making AS Further Maths dependent on A2 Maths. CIE also falls into this category, though it has no units.

Edexcel changed their FP1-as-A2, dependent on C4 to FP1-as-AS, dependent on C2, in 2008. The new version takes over from after Jan 2010, continuing until 2012 / whenever the next reform is.

AQA, OCR, OCR MEI, CCEA, all had their FP1-as-AS, dependent on C2, from the beginning of the C/FP system, in 2004/5, which will continue until 2012 / whenever the next reform is.
    Good to know, I think the board I should be on is OCR.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops- old thread.. my bad :p:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.