Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want a part time job in retail! :p:
    So, two questions:

1) Are there any retail outlets that are doing well at the moment despite the economic situation and are therefore more likely to be hiring?

2) Are there any retail outlets that don't mind hiring people with no retail experience? I know that Boots do, for one.

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I will keep watching this, as I'd like to know too

ReputationRep:
    Um I believe Poundland is excelling in the current climate.
    Have you tried TK Maxx?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkostar)
    Um I believe Poundland is excelling in the current climate.
    Have you tried TK Maxx?
    Nope, good idea :p:

Hm my friends works in Poundland and she has some horror stories about working there...the state people leave the shop in, the way the customers are, etc. Poundland and Poundworld I'm generally not considering, how ever much of a snob that makes me sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    Nope, good idea

Hm my friends works in Poundland and she has some horror stories about working there...the state people leave the shop in, the way the customers are, etc. Poundland and Poundworld I'm generally not considering, how ever much of a snob that makes me sound.
    there are lots of offers going on at gumtree, where experience is not needed. An extremely good friend of mine applied for a job today and has an interview tomorrow at 9pm. Take a look at gumtree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    there are lots of offers going on at gumtree, where experience is not needed. An extremely good friend of mine applied for a job today and has an interview tomorrow at 9pm. Take a look at gumtree.
    9am, I should hope!!
    And thanks

ReputationRep:
    Marks and Spencers? I applied there last week, interview yesterday and was offered the job there and then. I have got my induction date and a weeks worth of shifts. I do have retail experience but they didn't even ask about it.

My first retail job was at Argos and I had absolutely no experience. Have you tried there? I worked at Boots last Christmas and they were great you just have to kepe checking their website. Sainsburys? They take people with no experience.

But in this present day you know that people are scrambling over any type of job so I think maybe that they may go for people with experience over someone with none. But you got to try anyway.

Have you applied at Primark? Business is booming there!
    Personally I would not work in poundland or any other pound shop either, I'd never live it down.

ReputationRep:
    Try all the larger supermarkets they offer there own training so don't look for people with experiance, but I wouldn't get a job in somewhere like poindland unless you get desperate as no other place will want to hire you afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Ive only just started my first job in retail last month.( I work in Barretts shoes) I , like you had NO experience however got full training. Its very easy to pick up so dont fret
    I recommend the job centre plus website. This is where i looked and found my job.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone so far :grouphugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really want a part time job in retail! :p:
    So, two questions:

1) Are there any retail outlets that are doing well at the moment despite the economic situation and are therefore more likely to be hiring?

2) Are there any retail outlets that don't mind hiring people with no retail experience? I know that Boots do, for one.

Thanks x
    Well I work at Primark now. I didn't even have any retail experience. I handed my CV in and got interview 2 months later and within 2 days after the interview, they offered me the job.

Just hand your CV into your local store.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Supermarkets tend to need staff quite regularly.

ReputationRep:
    The ones that are always busy at Christmas.

Those retailers should be quite keen in the next couple of weeks I guess.

ReputationRep:
    9am, I should hope!!
    And thanks
    lol no seriously, 9 pm=] shes done it already now

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Little_yellow_fish]Ive only just started my first job in retail last month.( I work in Barretts shoes) I , like you had NO experience QUOTE]

I thought Barratts went bust? all the stores near me have closed...

ReputationRep:
    No barrats are still open,
    The best time to apply is september for jobs at the Monet when everyone gies back to university, unless you hve one of the big unis nearby you will find it easier then,
    most places are willing to give you training my first job is in waitrose and I had no experiance what so ever so unless your trying to get a job in the small inderpendent shop you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Aaah cool, obv Barratts don't like being in the North West then lol. Sorry, forgot to give my advice before, try Sports Direct, its minimum wage pay, but the shifts are short (4 hours for me), you actually do nothing at all if you're on the sales floor (not for me, I'm restless and a hard worker, don't do standing around for 4 hours for not much money...), they're quite flexible (even if my store keeps ignoring when I say I can and can't work...dimwits), and you basically just need to apply online, go to an induction, and Bob's your uncle =D

ReputationRep:
    I think it will totally depend on the store, because as people go, they will need to fill that place. So try everywhere, I would imagine that supermarkets, as stated above, would look for places, but it would be a hit and miss everywhere. Plus, I don't blame you for the snobbery - wouldn't work at poundland either :p:

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd apply anywhere including pound shops regardless of how bad it sounds, it is experience at the end of the day. Just work there until something better comes along, you can't be picky at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    lol no seriously, 9 pm=] shes done it already now

Yeah, I've got an interview at 8:30pm on Friday. It's a second interview for Waitrose - I've come to the conclusion, evening interviews are necessary if they want to show you around the shop floor, as it's probably more accessible and relaxed than 6:30am...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.