The Student Room Group

Retail jobs with no experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Boreism
Well I work at Primark now. I didn't even have any retail experience. I handed my CV in and got interview 2 months later and within 2 days after the interview, they offered me the job.

Just hand your CV into your local store.

What kinds of experience did you put on your CV then with no experience? Need some help :smile:
Original post by lustina
What kinds of experience did you put on your CV then with no experience? Need some help :smile:

Well I did work experience at school (year 19) and college. :smile:
I know this is a bit wierd xD
But I volunteered for a few months and now work at Primark (have done for a year and a few months) - that was my experience.

Primark is beginning to look for Christmas temps now - some of which MAY get kept on after Christmas, however, it depends on the store and the staffing situation at that store.

Try looking on the Primark website (
www.primark.co.uk) for vacancies available near you (select the Retail Operative position at the bottom of the Recruitment section) - however, please be aware that not all stores advertise on there, so it may still be worthwhilst taking a CV into the store!
Reply 23
i dont know how some people get these jobs, i dont have any retail experience but i have customer experience but i never seem to get to the interview stage. Today i was rejected by ASDA, boots and whsmith after applying. if your town has a shpping centre under the Mall name then check their website for local vacancies, i did this but no one ever replies.
Reply 24
I have tried Primark,Boots, Next, Tesco, Pret a Manger, but have not been successful so far, do not have any retail experience, only done volunteer roles, charity work, Admin roles etc, but have no retail or paid experience. I am finding it extremely difficult!!!
:frown:
Volunteer in a charity shop if having no experience is holding you back. It's retail work, you just don't get paid for it.
Reply 26
Original post by mb10
I have tried Primark,Boots, Next, Tesco, Pret a Manger, but have not been successful so far, do not have any retail experience, only done volunteer roles, charity work, Admin roles etc, but have no retail or paid experience. I am finding it extremely difficult!!!
:frown:

Even for primark??? they take 15 year olds you just need to demostrate your a team player.
primark hires people without retail experience, i got a job there last month and it is my first ever job.
primark are doing very well at the moment, as it is cheap and everyone can afford it... everyone goes there!
Reply 28
It amazes me that there's so much emphasis on 'experience' when trying to get a job in retail. You don't need experience to know how to turn up on time, make clothes rails look tidy, and answer basis customer queries such as 'do you have any more of these?', seeing as more complex questions/situations are expected to be directed towards the manager anyway. For example- Customer going ott mental, get the manager. Till experience is irrelevant, because from what i've seen most shops have their own unique till type, so training is going to be given to the new employee whether they've worked in a shop previously or not. The entire thing is a farce.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending