Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I used to work in Spar we would give away free pasties from the pasty oven at the end of the night's shift (so 11pm during the week, 1am at weekends) and we used to take away anything we wanted from the shelves that was going to go past its use by date the following day. Meaning lots of free bread, yoghurt etc that had absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    So yeah - pop into these convenience stores a few minutes before closure and chances are you'll get something for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geeksandtherest)
    If you work in retail or know someone who does what are the background secrets of its success or just the industry's dirty deeds.
    people have basic needs which can only be met through buying in retail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floofy)
    Ah yes, those people that go through bins as a lifestyle could salvage them. Or other people colud just pick them up and re-sell them.
    Read the post. I said USE them, this is inclusive of wearing and selling on, :p:

ReputationRep:
    When supermarkets made all the promises that "If you que, we will open up another till", when we didn't have enough staff to open all the tills, the supervisor would sign the all tills on and enter that 0 people were queing in order to meet their head office targets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Why do that? :eek:
    We do something similar except we literally shred the clothes in anyway possible if they are returned for being faulty. It has been known that people will go down our bins, get out the faulty clothes and then try to return them for a refund even though they didn't buy them in the first place. If we wreck them, they can't do that anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    That's why my mum doesn't like buying groceries from Tesco Online - the staff will just pick the stuff from the front.

Never believe someone in a perfume counter when they tell you a perfume is nice....they say they're all nice!
    They're not actually meant to do that. They should get all your shopping from the store rooms apparently! You can ask the driver for a refund on any items which are too close to the use by date.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't say, I might lose my job!

All I can say is that if someone asks me 'do you think this shoe looks nice?' I always say yes, but thats kind of obvious. I don't know why they would ask, I'm not going to say 'no that shoe is disgusting' am I?

ReputationRep:
    At my shop (will shall remain anonymous) the sales assistants sometimes butter up to the customers especially in the changing room and say stuff like "Ooh that looks good on you."

ReputationRep:
    i once worked in an art gallery shoppp and a couple of the people i worked with liked some of the art work on display, and when a person came in and showed interest in it they'd bump the price up so the public tended not to buy it.... this meant that when we were told to start reducing things for a sale it was still there for them to reduce and purchase themselves :/

ReputationRep:
    just before the sales in clothes shop the assistants will write what looks like a code on the tag eg 015001, 0125001, but what it really means is what the reduced price is going to be in a couple of days, (eg £15 or £12.50) they used to do it in a shop i worked in in my y10 work experience, but ive noticed they also do it in topshop, miss selferage etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieee91)
    They're not actually meant to do that. They should get all your shopping from the store rooms apparently! You can ask the driver for a refund on any items which are too close to the use by date.
    Ah, that makes sense!

La Esmerelda: I've had that a lot! If they're tot enthausiastic, it makes me think that it looks horrible on me and that they're trying to persuade me otherwise. :p:

I used to work in a chemist and at Christmas we'd try and sell the horrible perfume sets to unknowing, desperate men - this worked particularly well on Christmas Eve!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    That's why my mum doesn't like buying groceries from Tesco Online - the staff will just pick the stuff from the front.
    Actually, we look for the best date possible - certain products (fresh fruit and veg mainly) get flagged up on the PDA (which is on the trolley we use to shop with), which means we have to check the dates; and for the most part it's good practice that every does anyway.

I don't know which shop you're talking about, but with Tesco DotCom, we shop from the store itself - but with the rules I talked about above If an item is only in date within the next day or so, we're meant to sell it as an exception, or find an alternative similar product with a better sell-by date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    I don't know which shop you're talking about, but with Tesco DotCom, we shop from the store itself - but with the rules I talked about above If an item is only in date within the next day or so, we're meant to sell it as an exception, or find an alternative similar product with a better sell-by date.
    Ooohh I was on about Tesco too. The guy that used to deliver our shopping always told us to give him back the stuff too close to the sell-by date that we wouldn't be able to use in time, in exchange for a refund. Maybe he was just being veeery friendly!

ReputationRep:
    Ooohh I was on about Tesco too. The guy that used to deliver our shopping always told us to give him back the stuff too close to the sell-by date that we wouldn't be able to use in time, in exchange for a refund. Maybe he was just being veeery friendly!
    Yeah, it sort of is policy, but the majority of drivers won't prompt you, as far as I'm aware (although I've never done the driving [not allowed yet], we've had shopping delivered) - they'll wait for you to say that you'd like it refunded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yekim_8)
    Read the post. I said USE them, this is inclusive of wearing and selling on, :p:
    Yeah...

I wasn't contradicting you in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floofy)
    Yeah...

I wasn't contradicting you in the first place.
    Aw well thought you were, sorry for jumpin to conclusions haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalev)
    just before the sales in clothes shop the assistants will write what looks like a code on the tag eg 015001, 0125001, but what it really means is what the reduced price is going to be in a couple of days, (eg £15 or £12.50) they used to do it in a shop i worked in in my y10 work experience, but ive noticed they also do it in topshop, miss selferage etc.
    I think every single clothes retailer does this. I've noticed it in most high street stores anyway! I never buy anything at the end of june/ july now cos I know most of it will be in the sale.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.