Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm currently studying French at uni, but have never actually been to a French speaking country, so am hoping to spend about 2 weeks in early september-ish just to get a wee bit of practice in before term starts again. I was thinking perhaps a smallish town or village situation, but somewhere which is not too far from a major airport, or at least with fairly decent transport links just to get there in the first place, not too worried about being remote once there.. (i think the airports I can cheaply fly to are Poitiers, Carcassonne, Paris and Limoges)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I spent 4 months in Lyon. It's a lovely, small city near the Alps. There is also an airport right there and you can fly bmibaby and easyjet.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really recommend Carcassonne enough to be honest. It's truly beautiful, not too big, not absolutely overrun with tourists like Paris, and still should be fairly warm in September.

ReputationRep:
    I only ever been to Annecy, but it was truly magical :love: Its not fr from Switzerland, and views are just :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I was edging towards Carcassonne because my parents have been down there and have said how beautiful it is!

...Don't think I can fly to Lyon from Edinburgh, or not as cheaply as the others anyway (there was a reason)...and this is very much on a budget

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in France for many, many years myself (in fact I'm still not back in the UK till next week or so). Paris is really expensive, but if you have the money... go for it. Great experience. Stay sharp and avoid all the street scams though, and don't go into the suburbs alone. I'd avoid walking around alone at night too, if I were a woman.

On a tighter budget (or if you don't like big cities, even though Paris is quite a beautiful "big city"), maybe try Carcassonne and the surroundings. It's in the south, as you probably know, so you'll be more likely to experience hot, sunny weather. There are more rural areas around there too, and they're very pretty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    I've lived in France for many, many years myself (in fact I'm still not back in the UK till next week or so). Paris is really expensive, but if you have the money... go for it. Great experience. Stay sharp and avoid all the street scams though, and don't go into the suburbs alone. I'd avoid walking around alone at night too, if I were a woman.

On a tighter budget (or if you don't like big cities, even though Paris is quite a beautiful "big city"), maybe try Carcassonne and the surroundings. It's in the south, as you probably know, so you'll be more likely to experience hot, sunny weather. There are more rural areas around there too, and they're very pretty.
    Ok yeh thanks! I would love to go to Paris, but it's mainly cost putting me off atm! I'm doing a year abroad working as part of my degree next year, so am promising myself a trip to Paris then!

The area around Carcassone and the town itself does look truly beautiful! The main reason for wanting to go somewhere small is in the hope of actually vaguely getting to know some of the locals well enough to have conversations in French (ie going to the bakery etc regularly), you know, maybe in a small place it won't be so "anonymous" as in a big city if you get what I mean? I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly at all! But yeh, price is a big thing sadly

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know what you mean. In Paris you're just another face among the millions of others. In a smaller town, people know each other, are more courteous, more interested in new faces/tourists, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    Ok yeh thanks! I would love to go to Paris, but it's mainly cost putting me off atm! I'm doing a year abroad working as part of my degree next year, so am promising myself a trip to Paris then!

The area around Carcassone and the town itself does look truly beautiful! The main reason for wanting to go somewhere small is in the hope of actually vaguely getting to know some of the locals well enough to have conversations in French (ie going to the bakery etc regularly), you know, maybe in a small place it won't be so "anonymous" as in a big city if you get what I mean? I don't know if I'm explaining myself correctly at all! But yeh, price is a big thing sadly
    I have been France 3 times, Paris, The Ardeche river for an adventure holiday, and one more place, just on the otherside of the channel, for a day trip!

One thing I do know, my French teacher visits her husband who lives in France every weekend, and she takes the Ferry then the train, right down to the south of France, so you might want to look at flying to the northern-most airport you can, then take a cheap, high-speed train through france, if it would save you money! Good luck and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Besancon/ Lyon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    Hi!

I'm currently studying French at uni, but have never actually been to a French speaking country, so am hoping to spend about 2 weeks in early september-ish just to get a wee bit of practice in before term starts again. I was thinking perhaps a smallish town or village situation, but somewhere which is not too far from a major airport, or at least with fairly decent transport links just to get there in the first place, not too worried about being remote once there.. (i think the airports I can cheaply fly to are Poitiers, Carcassonne, Paris and Limoges)...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Just take a year out and travel ALL round France, seriously! I've been pretty much everywhere, nice places in the North are Le Touquet, Amiens, Lyon and in the south go to BIARRITZ. C'est trés pittoresque
    The south of France is obviously a lot more expensive but beautiful! If you can i'd recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    I have been France 3 times, Paris, The Ardeche river for an adventure holiday, and one more place, just on the otherside of the channel, for a day trip!

One thing I do know, my French teacher visits her husband who lives in France every weekend, and she takes the Ferry then the train, right down to the south of France, so you might want to look at flying to the northern-most airport you can, then take a cheap, high-speed train through france, if it would save you money! Good luck and have fun!
    Taking the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux costs me anywhere from 50 € to 100 € in 2nd class, with 80 € being the median price I pay. Multiply that by two for the return ticket. Just to give anyone interested an idea of how much that would cost. Personally, I still think it's quite expensive. It might be cheaper to just take one long flight to the south (if the extra cost, compared to just flying to Paris, would be lower than the 100 - 160 € you'd pay for the train).

ReputationRep:
    Riscle is gorgeous, a very very small town down the south, about 2 hours from Bordeoux (sp?)

I'd really recommend it, the locals are really friendly and because its so traditional, it'd be a great place to practise your French skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    Taking the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux costs me anywhere from 50 € to 100 € in 2nd class, with 80 € being the median price I pay. Multiply that by two for the return ticket. Just to give anyone interested an idea of how much that would cost. Personally, I still think it's quite expensive. It might be cheaper to just take one long flight to the south (if the extra cost, compared to just flying to Paris, would be lower than the 100 - 160 € you'd pay for the train).
    Yep...was just looking at the costs of flying Inverness to London as well, and that's gonne be about £80 average one way...which is more than some flights from Edin-south France, and then would need the ferry and train, and returns on top, so don't think that that will be an option I'm afraid!

Thanks for the info on the trains tho! Good to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachlala14)
    Just take a year out and travel ALL round France, seriously! I've been pretty much everywhere, nice places in the North are Le Touquet, Amiens, Lyon and in the south go to BIARRITZ. C'est trés pittoresque
    The south of France is obviously a lot more expensive but beautiful! If you can i'd recommend it.
    Nice idea, but my integrated year abroad is next year anyway! Don't think the uni would be too happy with me doing a year out between 1st and 2nd yr as well as between 2nd and 3rd year!

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

ReputationRep:
    Saint-Genis-Pouilly :love:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.