Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I heard from someone that Imperial might be introducing entrance exam(s) for 2010 applicants. These could be thinking skills tests or subject specific tests. Has this ever been done before, and is it certain that these tests will be implemented for students wishing to enter in the fall of 2010?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you have any source other than a friend?

ReputationRep:
    and there's me thinking their entry requirements were hardcore as it is:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I remember this being all over BBC and ITV news this time last year. Not heard anything more about it since...

ReputationRep:
    I remember my Imperial MSc alumnus friend telling me about it when it broke out in the news. I think the idea has been put on the back burner for now since the A* will act as an additional selector.

ReputationRep:
    Woo, thank God if that's true. I've already got US SAT exams to worry about, as well as a million other things for college applications.

I was searching around and you're right, it seems that this topic became quite heated about a year ago, when apparently Imperial adcoms said quite confidently that an admissions test would be administered. It was published all over Times, BBC and so on. However, the topic seems to have died off now, and according to Wikipedia (yes, I know it's not a reliable source), they have not yet decided when an entrance exam will be used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    Hi,

I heard from someone that Imperial might be introducing entrance exam(s) for 2010 applicants. These could be thinking skills tests or subject specific tests. Has this ever been done before, and is it certain that these tests will be implemented for students wishing to enter in the fall of 2010?

Thanks
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7434463.stm
    is the most recent article
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    At this moment in time, for some departments, they are thinking about an entrance exam. They are testing out papers on volunteer freshers to see what kind of level is required for it to be not too discrimintating against different syllabi.

So no, nothing is certain.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares, Imperial is poopty anyhoo.

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone telling me about this when I was applying but haven't heard anything new since.

I think its a good idea, might stop idiots like me getting an offer. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    I remember someone telling me about this when I was applying but haven't heard anything new since.

I think its a good idea, might stop idiots like me getting an offer. :facepalm:
    True but then we wouldn't get the random, not that smart but actually fun to speak to, people. They're the ones that make my days go by

ReputationRep:
    They tried out the Cambridge TSA on us, to use as a comparative indicator to see how our TSA performance correlated with our exam results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    They tried out the Cambridge TSA on us, to use as a comparative indicator to see how our TSA performance correlated with our exam results.
    Do you know what the results were?

ReputationRep:
    OMG...hoping this isn't ture...i already have soooo many things to worry about...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emc2)
    Do you know what the results were?
    We could get our TSA results from our personal tutor but I didn't bother. The overall results haven't been published university-wide.

ReputationRep:
    Someone got annoyed at me saying Imperial is poopty =P

I've studied there, it's awful, save yourself the trouble and just don't go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llynus)
    Someone got annoyed at me saying Imperial is poopty =P

I've studied there, it's awful, save yourself the trouble and just don't go.
    Not everyone will agree with you and just 'not go'. Imperial's what you make of it. True, the Union is absolute bs compared to other unis' and some of the conversation you get into is extremely geeky but apart from that it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunspoon)
    We could get our TSA results from our personal tutor but I didn't bother. The overall results haven't been published university-wide.
    I was in the top 20% of people who did the test college-wide... I then went on to fail one of my written exams. So maybe the "correlation" between the results of that test and the exam results won't be very helpful...

ReputationRep:
    There wont be one for entry this year - straight from the mouth of an Imperial Chemistry Admissions Tutor. There may well be one for 2011, but thats not certain at all.

From what I heard, they made a load of students sit the test anyway (possibly for last years entry) to use as a test, and they found there was hardly any correlation between entrance test score and final degree grade. So they haven't got much basis for introducing it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I hope they don't introduce it!
    But I think wit hthe introduction of A* grades, the chances of that happening now are smaller. It may happen in the future, as A levels get easier and easier.

If they do, I hope its only AFTER 2011 :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.