Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just starting to look for accomodation in glasgow plannin of rentin a flat or apt coz commin down with friends so wont be staying in student halls would really appreciate if anyone who lives there could give advice about dodgy areas we wanna stay in west end found lovely flat but heard that maryhill is very dodgy area so can anyone tell me names of areas that are close to uni and nice and the ones that we should try to avoid ?
    hows like:
    Hyndland ?
    Kelvinbridge?
    Dyce lane ?
    Annesland?
    Maryhill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neringutia)
    Just starting to look for accomodation in glasgow plannin of rentin a flat or apt coz commin down with friends so wont be staying in student halls would really appreciate if anyone who lives there could give advice about dodgy areas we wanna stay in west end found lovely flat but heard that maryhill is very dodgy area so can anyone tell me names of areas that are close to uni and nice and the ones that we should try to avoid ?
    Around Kelvingrove is quite nice, maryhill i wouldnt advise or the gorballs. Suchiehall streeT? If thats how you spell it is good, well its where a lot of the nightlife is so its always busy which is good in a sense. Byres roads quite nice too

ReputationRep:
    Maryhill's not that dodgy really, its been redveloped a bit and I felt fine the few times I've been there.

and I'm in Murano street next year so I'll be living in Maryhill so yeah!

I think most dodgy places are south of the river anyway, Gorbals, Govan etc.

More to the point - Music? Glasgow? see you there my friend, should you get in

ReputationRep:
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the majority of Maryhill is still not a nice place.

Nice places in the West End are basically Woodlands, Hillhead, Hyndland, Park, Kelvinhall, Kelvinbridge. Partick's not bad either mind, although it's still a bit rougher than the rest of the West End. Anniesland is a good bit further away down Great Western Road, I wouldn't really say it's part of the West End proper. Be careful with landlords claiming their flat is "West End" - I've seen a lot where that just seems to mean anywhere West of the city centre, regardless of how far away that might be! Always check the postcode...

City centre's an interesting one... You can get some nice flats, but frankly, the idea of living on Sauchiehall Street doesn't appeal to me - the street is a bit of a ********, and the amount of *******s that frequent the place (especially at the weekend) would do my head in.

ReputationRep:
    having lived in maryhi i can tell you not to go there

ReputationRep:
    hmm west end id stick too. Good culture about there to.

the new gorbals has lovely flats. stil alot neds living there though

Basically doesnt matter where you live.... after 9/10 pm dont walk alone anywhere!! Taxi is safest

Too many people getting attacted everyso often atm.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this question sounds silly...but how would you describe dodgy exactly? The appearance of the locale? Aggressive, violent, or drunk residents?

I am not from the area and dont quite know what to expect once I arrive.

Also...I have only recently become familiar with term "Ned". Seems like we have them here in Toronto as well, but are they really as troublesome as people say?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammytheman)
    Sorry if this question sounds silly...but how would you describe dodgy exactly? The appearance of the locale? Aggressive, violent, or drunk residents?

I am not from the area and dont quite know what to expect once I arrive.

Also...I have only recently become familiar with term "Ned". Seems like we have them here in Toronto as well, but are they really as troublesome as people say?

Thanks!
    "Dodgy" probably means "places you're most likely to get stabbed." They're usually the poorest areas, which comes with things like alcoholism, gang and neds. Neds are easily avoided as they tend to travel in groups. Just don't look them in the eye and they won't give you trouble! The closest I've come is when a 14ish year old boy asked me, very politely, if I'd buy him cigarattes - I said no and he then swore at me and threw a bit of paper. :rolleyes:

As for Maryhill, I was always told that between Murano and Tesco is fine but avoid the big housing estate after that!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, OK.

That clears things up a bit? Are there alot of these "dodgy" areas scattered around the city? I will be staying in Kelvinhaugh, and from what I've been told its a rather safe area.

I only worry because I enjoy getting out and going places/exploring the different parts of the city, so it would be nice to get an idea of the places to avoid like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'll be living in Kelvinhaugh Street too. I think you're the only other person I've ever seen mention they're living there.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, OK.

That clears things up a bit? Are there alot of these "dodgy" areas scattered around the city? I will be staying in Kelvinhaugh, and from what I've been told its a rather safe area.

I only worry because I enjoy getting out and going places/exploring the different parts of the city, so it would be nice to get an idea of the places to avoid like the plague.
    During the day, most places will be fine. Just make sure you're not wearing any football shirts. :p:

The city centre and the west end are fine. The "dodgy" areas are more residential and aren't very interesting anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Ibrox.

ReputationRep:
    I must say I stay in Maryhill and have done for 15 years (I'm 18 :P and it's actually not bad
    I've never had any near stabbings or anything of the sort
    And I've walked home alone from town to Maryhill at 4am without so much as a word from any neds. (I wouldn't recommend that though!)
    If you stick with a few friends when your out late at night and don't look like your causing any bother you'll most probably be fine
    Just avoid alley ways and the like :P:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks for the advice.

FYI, the only jerseys anyone will see me sporting are hockey teams (ice hockey). I dont really think apparel of this variety will stir up too much commotion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiscuitFuelled)
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the majority of Maryhill is still not a nice place.
    I've seen dodgy bits with neds offering to "watch your car" but otherwise its seemed fine.

Murano Street itself seemed fine, also been to Firhill numerous times without any trouble - and I'm a Clyde fan!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, thanks for the advice.

FYI, the only jerseys anyone will see me sporting are hockey teams (ice hockey). I dont really think apparel of this variety will stir up too much commotion!
    Depends on whether or not it's a Leafs jersey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyK67)
    Depends on whether or not it's a Leafs jersey.
    Actually it is... Don't worry though, I have many more to choose from!

Are you not much of a Leafs fan?

ReputationRep:
    WHat bout patrick ? yoker ? scoutstoun? seem cheaper than most of west end is it good or not really? or harbour ? buildings look new flats seem nice as well ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neringutia)
    WHat bout patrick ? yoker ? scoutstoun? seem cheaper than most of west end is it good or not really? or harbour ? buildings look new flats seem nice as well ?
    I stay in Hyndland/Partick (Partick, not Patrick, had me fooled too!) and it's absolutely lovely. The area around the uni (Hyndland, Gilmorehill, Partick, Byres rd, Dowanhill and along Woodlands rd) are all safe to walk around at night alone. I've never had trouble. Maryhill is ok as long as you know the parts not to go!
    I'd recommend somewhere around uni. If you have any specific questions PM me.

ReputationRep:
    I would say BE CAREFUL even in places deemed as safe, I was walking back from a friends flat with a couple others last night-and we ran it to this insane man who started walking next to us and started pushing the guys around! I was terrified that he had a knife. Anyway this was in Woodlands!

Not trying to scare you from renting a flat in these areas, just be careful as any place can have the crazies.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.