Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am not a British, or EU or EEA national. My dad is on a work permit working here in London, and I have a student's permit. By the time I reach uni I will have lived here for more than 3 years. My dad does not work for another government and pays taxes.

Do i qualify as a home student?

I'm asking because I read somewhere that if you are not an EEA national, you may have to have INDEFINITE leave to remain, which I do not (its a student permit but not indefinite)

ReputationRep:
    anyone? please help me, I am starting to worry

ReputationRep:
    I believe that if you're here for the purpose of obtaining an education (i.e., if you're a student), then being here for the three years doesn't count. But I'd suggest talking to your intended university for advice; they've probably got some experience in this sort of thing, or at least can point you to someone who'll know more.

ReputationRep:
    no, no, no; I am not here solely to get an education. My dad works here and I go where he goes. It's really ****** up if I have to pay international fees despite the fact that my dad pays outrageous taxes.

ReputationRep:
    My friend qualified as a home student despite her parents being resident in Nigeria, simply because she'd been at boarding school in England for the required three years. So I'd guess you probably count.

ReputationRep:
    The UCAS application page says 'at least 3 years in Britain', without any further purposes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys. however, some sites (e.g. http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/gspr...ng/status.html) say that you require settled status. seeing as I am not an EU or UK passport holder and do not have permanent residence/indefinite leave, where does that leave me?

ReputationRep:
    anyone? I am going to contact UKCISA and the admissions departments of the unis i want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it does appear like you'll need to have settled status ...

This is clearly an urgent matter for you, and you're worried, are you going to hang around and rely on randomers' responses on here?

Call them :

UKCISA Students' Advice Line

Tel: 020 7107 9922
    13.00-16.00 hours UK time Mon-Fri

Or contact your university and they will send you a fee assessment form, which you'll fill out and send back, then they'll determine your fee status.

Good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    I called them and they repeated the same things. I have heard multiple stories that say otherwise, however. just out of curiosity what sorts of details are there to be put on UCAS application forms that decide whether one is home or overseas? do they explicitly ask you or do they look at home address etc and make a judgement?

ReputationRep:
    also, does the fee assessment form come after or before you have been accepted?

ReputationRep:
    out of curiosity, what would happen if I accidentally put down "settled status" on the ucas application??

ReputationRep:
    I was not in your situation but can offer some answers. I am a British national but had lived abroad for 9 years so I had to fill out the same forms as you will. Be cause I knew I would be classified as a home student I put that as my status on the UCAS application. Regardless the unis I applied to assumed from other aspects of my application that I was by default an overseas student and to get home status I needed to fill uni fee status forms. Each uni used their own form with some asking more detailed questions than others but all asked nationality, Uk residency status and country where you are 'normally resident'.

You really do need to contact the individual unis, they are who make the decision, UCAS is irrelevant IME.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony2DaMax)
    also, does the fee assessment form come after or before you have been accepted?

Forgot to answer this. It came after the offer for 4 of my choices and before for the other one. I'd ask for a answer before putting any uni as one of your choices if I were you though. I knew I would be ok, if I hadn't I would not have wanted to waste a choice on a place where i wouldn't get home status. I have a friend who was home for her firm choice and international for her insurance even though unis are supposed to judge using exactly the same guidelines. As you have already found these are open to interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys know what the policy on changing status during the course is? Are they obliged to change if your status has changed?

ReputationRep:
    If I get indefinite leave during my course, can I change? what about when I get a UK passport?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.