Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Specifically the fountainhead and atlas shrugged. my brother is attempting to almost physically throw these books at me because they 'changed his life.' i want to trust his taste in books and writing, but he's one of the most dramatic people i know so i inquire upon you all: are they worth it or not?

i've heard good and bad about ayn rand and her writing, any of your thoughts would be really helpful as i'm building a list (one too long for me to ever finish, but still doing it) of books to read and am wondering whether these should be thrown on, and if so, how high up they should be... thanks uber.

ReputationRep:
    They're indubitably seminal works of literature, however celebrated or derided. You might as well.

(Original post by Anick14)
    are they worth it or not?
    Not really, no. I suspect your brother will get over it in a few weeks. They certainly aren't "life changing".

ReputationRep:
    I got really into them about two years ago for a few months; I have since then done a full 180 and now believe that she was utterly insane. Both books follow the exact same plot:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Misanthropic genius with a talent that no one else has is disgusted by society. Roughly 1/4 of the way in a heroine gets raped, this is then repeated because rape is fun. Anyone who cares the slightest bit about anyone else for reasons such as love or pity and/or believes in anything religious/spiritual is a blood-sucking communist and is as contemptible as an insect. The only way to live morally is to commit no acts of altruism and to care only about money. Poor people suck because they are poor and thus are communists. All evil and good characters are heavily oversimplified and dramatically exaggerated stereotypes of both communism and laissez-faire capitalism. Aforementioned misanthrope commits actions that society looks down upon for some bizarre reason (Fountainhead: blows buildings up, Atlas: destroys society). In the end the misanthrope creates a new society and gets to rape the heroine some more. As simplistic as it sounds, this is basically the plot of both Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

In short: if you do read them, do not get sucked into Objectivism, because it is some really messed up stuff. Furthermore, Rand was a homophobe and racist; once I figured this out, as well as the implications that living solely for greed contained, I disavowed myself from her philosophy entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    They're indubitably seminal works of literature, however celebrated or derided. You might as well.
    Was that intentional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    Was that intentional?
    Was what intentional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Was what intentional?
    Obviously not. Seminal means both influential and pertaining to semen. I thought it was a hidden mention of that scene in The Fountainhead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    Obviously not. Seminal means both influential and pertaining to semen. I thought it was a hidden mention of that scene in The Fountainhead.
    Rather shamefully, I haven't read it. Although that's perhaps a case-in-point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.