Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Just been acepted into second year at Glasgow uni to do Computing Science and i had a few questions i was hoping might get answerd here.

From what I gather you do java in second year What IDE does the department use for teaching the language. I'm only used to Visual Studio(C#) and I wanna get a head start on picking up java but I would like to get used to the IDE(netbeans, eclipse, etc) that i'll be using when I start in september and not have to switch.

Has anyone heard anything about this new faster route course thats starting? I was told I could do it if I wanted to but i'm unsure if I should.

And is anyone here starting second year in sept?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i24mm5731n)
    Hey!

Just been acepted into second year at Glasgow uni to do Computing Science and i had a few questions i was hoping might get answerd here.

From what I gather you do java in second year What IDE does the department use for teaching the language. I'm only used to Visual Studio(C#) and I wanna get a head start on picking up java but I would like to get used to the IDE(netbeans, eclipse, etc) that i'll be using when I start in september and not have to switch.

Has anyone heard anything about this new faster route course thats starting? I was told I could do it if I wanted to but i'm unsure if I should.

And is anyone here starting second year in sept?

Thanks!
    I don't really know anything about the CS second year course, as I passed first year and switched degree in 2005, when Ada was still the programming language of choice. I'm sure if you sent the same question to the level two course co-ordinator they'd be happy to answer.

As for the faster route, I was under the impression that that was just first and second year rolled into one and streamlined (no non-CS electives), then third and fourth as normal. If you've already been accepted to second year then I don't know if the faster route will actually be of any benefit to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I Will contact one of the course co-ordinator later on!

As for the faster route course i was given the choice of that or just plain second year and it will get decided when i speak to the student/course advisor.

Thanks for the info!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.