Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi. Does anyone have any advice as to the best bank with which to open an account? Or, pros and cons of different banks and different types of accounts? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to have your bank account set up before you arrive, I suggest using Lloyds TSB's offshore international account system. It's really easy to set up and can be used both in the US and the UK without the bank freaking out. I opened a sterling account with them in order to get the checkbook, but initially set it up with a cashier's check in US dollars. I find it's easier to have your account balance in pounds instead of dollars, especially when that's how you have to budget. The account accepts direct deposit, so when the financial aid comes in from the states and KCL takes their share, the rest should be able to go automatically into your account, I think. Anyway, here's the link:
    http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/in...ional/account/

I'll keep that one in mind. I'm not a huge fan of maintenance fees and minimums, but it may be the best option.

The more I look at it, the better that account seems. You mentioned you opened an account in sterling and that it comes with a checkbook. I noticed that the other deonominations don't, but that you can open an account in one denomination and another one for free. Since the dollar maintenance fee is the cheapest (owing to exhange rates), I wonder if it's possible to open an account in dollars and a second "at no extra cost" in sterling and still get cheques. Do you have any idea?

ReputationRep:
    No idea, sorry! But their information line has been very helpful to me and runs 24/7, so I'd try that.

Alright, thanks. I'm torn between the Lloyds International Account and an HSBC Passport account. How long, from application to receipt of all expected materials, did the process take? I just want to kind of give myself a deadline to decide so I don't leave the U.S. while stuff is in transit from Lloyds via post.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man. Well, looking back at my e-mail records, they got my application on August 26, 2008 and when I arrived in London on September 10th, my debit card and checkbook were waiting for me in the mail. I believe the application asks for both your home address and your correspondence address so you can tell them where to send your card, if you want it waiting for you at the hall when you move in.

Ahh ok thanks. Sorry to make you look so far back, I had no idea you opened it a year ago - haha. Thanks for the info though.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, luckily G-mail's search engine is handy for things like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.