Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possible to play old CSI game with Vista? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Soo I'm bored and since there's not much to do at this time in the night I decided to install an old computer game onto my laptop. Anyways, I just tried to play it and on the first case the audio is fine there's just a blank white square where Grissom should be and it's just not working. On the options menu there are like 3 options for 3d renderer and when I try to change them it says not supported by current video card or something like that. Any ideas if it's possible to play this game (CSI: Crime scene investigation) on my laptop?

ReputationRep:
    I assume that your graphics card is powerful enough to play it(Considering you have got a new laptop), so maybe it has something to do with the DirectX version in which you may have to play it on a previous version.

What version of DirectX are you playing with.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem. :confused: :mad:

Vista didn't seem to be an issue when i installed. I tried partial and full install, I first tried with my own directX, then I added the ones the game offers, then, when it still didn't work, I installed the latest directX available. Doesn't change a thing.

Any idea? I'm starting to fear that something is fundamentally differnet between vista and Xp and that i'm going to have to throw out a game I just bought.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. Sometimes I've found it helps to do the following:

Run the game in XP compatibility mode. Simply right click the application icon and open up its properties. Click on the compatibility tab and click the box which says 'Run this program in compatibility mode for'. Make sure Windows XP is selected.

Running the game in a lower resolution: Right click the icon. Click on the compatibility tab. Go down to Settings and click on run in 640 x 480 screen resolution.

DOSBox: This is a very useful program if you have really old games. It emulates a DOS environment, letting you run old PC games. Click here to download (Its free, btw)

Simply open your game with dosbox and it should run

ReputationRep:
    Tried running it as admin? That fixes a lot of games i've had problems with.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you doing playing a CSI game? I can already tell you it will be GODDAMN TERRIBLE.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.