Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm an international student, and I wish to study biomedical sciences at university. I will be graduating in 2010 from high school.

In general, could you tell me how studying biomedical sciences is at university is, in terms of academic workload and difficulty?

I have chosen 5 universities:
    1. UCL
    2. Kings
    3. Edinburgh
    4. Warwick
    5. Manchester

They are in no order but if you are accepted into all the universities above, which would you put as firm and insurance? How are these universities as a whole and for their biomedical sciences course? Do you have any other universities that you could suggest to me, which have a good academic reputation as a whole, as well as for their biomedical sciences course?

I am studying IB and I think I will get around 34 - 36 points so, how are my chances in being accepted into these universities for their biomedical sciences course?

Also, any advices/neccessities/work experience/ideas you could incorprate while writing your biomedical sciences personal statement? How does a biomedical sciences p.s. differ from medical p.s.?

Finally, I am a rugby player so how are the rugby programmes in these universities?

Thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    its not that hard as long as you keep on top of your work, workload, in my first you spend a lot more time in lectures and labs, then other people who are studying history to say, but as long as you keep on top of the work its ok, at my uni my first year we had no essays at all :yy:, but lab reports and just like that to do

the unis are good, but you do want to do a accredited degree in biomed or not, if you do you may need to look into that

work experience i never really did any, not in a biomed area, any work experience is good, be it in a lab, or on a shop floor, it shows dealing with people, and also team work

your PS it differ from med as well your not trying to sell your self that you want to be a doctor,, you could write your PS and post it in the ps help forum, where a help will look over it

most uni have rugby team's, where you play in uni leagues and maybe a local league as well

i dunno about IB stuff :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'm in the exact position as you. I really want to get offers from UCL, KCL, and Manchester, and my predicted IB score is around 36 points.

Also curious as to how goods the uni's listed in the OP is for Biomedical Sciences.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.