Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm American and I'm going to be studying abroad in England this fall. Over here I have a driver's license, but will I be able to use it in the UK?

I'm not sure because we drive on opposite sides of the road. However, it seems like you guys can drive to and from France freely, but you drive on the opposite side as them as well.

It's all very confuzzling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I'm American and I'm going to be studying abroad in England this fall. Over here I have a driver's license, but will I be able to use it in the UK?

I'm not sure because we drive on opposite sides of the road. However, it seems like you guys can drive to and from France freely, but you drive on the opposite side as them as well.

It's all very confuzzling!
    Yeah, you'll be able to drive for 12 months on your American licence. This page has more information.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ence/index.htm

That might help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    Yeah, you'll be able to drive for 12 months on your American licence. This page has more information.
    Damn your speed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not sure about the particular reglementation with the USA but you should be able to if you obtain an international driver's licence from the US anyway (might not be necessary, not sure...).

There's probably a time limit on how long you're allowed to use it in the UK before getting a british one. Also remember that if you learnt on an automatic in the UK then you aren't allowed to drive a manual.

(We can drive in France because EU driver"s licences are essentially interchangeable and exchangeable between EU states.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wes)
    I'm not sure about the particular reglementation with the USA but you should be able to if you obtain an international driver's licence from the US anyway (might not be necessary, not sure...).

There's probably a time limit on how long you're allowed to use it in the UK before getting a british one. Also remember that if you learnt on an automatic in the UK then you aren't allowed to drive a manual.

(We can drive in France because EU driver"s licences are essentially interchangeable and exchangeable between EU states.)
    Your points have already been clarified in the posts above. But with regards to the manual/automatic issue; there's is no designation in the US. There's no way for the UK to know whether you passed on in an auto or manual.

So since just about every single driving instructional establishment in the US is taught and tested with an automatic vehicle, would this mean Americans cannot drive in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    It's nothing to do with side of the road but everything to do with similar driving standards.

American licences would be exchangeable for GB ones if only your own laws didn't ban your states from entering into mutual agreements with foreign powers.

(Original post by SMed)
    Your points have already been clarified in the posts above. But with regards to the manual/automatic issue; there's is no designation in the US. There's no way for the UK to know whether you passed on in an auto or manual.

So since just about every single driving instructional establishment in the US is taught and tested with an automatic vehicle, would this mean Americans cannot drive in the UK?
    Presumably the OP would drive an auto in the UK as well.

ReputationRep:
    also presumably OP needs to be over 17 - americans can get their driving test at 16, whereas here you have to be 17 to drive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Presumably the OP would drive an auto in the UK as well.
    Why would we presume that? The OP may own a manual car in the US.

I'm and American, and on my driving course and test, I only drove an auto. My first car, however, was a manual. And when I came here I got a manual car too. At best, the UK could ask, "Can you drive a manual?" At which point (if the OP DOES know how), the OP can say, "Yes."

Otherwise Americans would not be allowed to drive in the UK, because they cannot officially prove on paper that they learnt in a manual and passed a manual test.

(Original post by SMed)
    Why would we presume that? The OP may own a manual car in the US.

I'm and American, and on my driving course and test, I only drove an auto. My first car, however, was a manual. And when I came here I got a manual car too. At best, the UK could ask, "Can you drive a manual?" At which point (if the OP DOES know how), the OP can say, "Yes."

Otherwise Americans would not be allowed to drive in the UK, because they cannot officially prove on paper that they learnt in a manual and passed a manual test.
    Oh right. According to the direct.gov site, it still isn't a concern though. It says "If you are the holder of an ordinary driving licence (car, moped, motorcycle entitlement) and provided your licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident." This implies that, as the US licence does not restrict the type of transmission on the licence, driving a manual in the UK would be fine for a US licence-holder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Oh right. According to the direct.gov site, it still isn't a concern though. It says "If you are the holder of an ordinary driving licence (car, moped, motorcycle entitlement) and provided your licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident." This implies that, as the US licence does not restrict the type of transmission on the licence, driving a manual in the UK would be fine for a US licence-holder.
    :top:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.