Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Humbug - Arctic Monkeys New Album Watch

ReputationRep:
    Great album.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeytk)
    I really like it :confused:
    I just thought that it was quite a boring, forgettable song by the arctic monkeys standards.

ReputationRep:
    Was disappointed in it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether these new haunting effects they're adding to their songs suit them that much. Their songs would sound better without it in my opinion.

Also has anyone noticed how the lyrics sound all sophisticated with metaphors in every other line but actually all the songs are about sex. :yep:

"Potion approaching, shield your eyes,
    Potion approaching, visualize,
    Holding a token, swollen in size,
    Potion approaching, shield your eyes"

utter filth.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ^Haha.

Also, liked Crying Lightning, Dance Little Liar + Pretty Visitors, on the first listen. Definitely seems like a grower album though, so I'll probs listen to it a few more times and see..

ReputationRep:
    I restarted music blogging a few days ago, and this was on my 'to review' list. I've never liked the Arctic Monkeys, and I went into it very sceptical about what I was going to get out of such an album.

In the end...it was my first ever 10/10 in nearly 4 years of writing pithy little reviews. What made it better was wiki'ing information on it and finding out that the Japanese import has a cover of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' Red Right Hand (obviously had to get a copy of that) which is utterly swoon-worthy...almost as good as the original, some might say.

I honestly see no faults in this album. The Monkeys have matured from being schoolboys with guitars who sang pointless hook-driven rock, to men who have a musical talent and who aren't afraid to use it. Obviously, the influences from James Ford (Last Shadow Puppets) and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), who produced the album, are showing through...but, I prefer this. It's a darker, more mature side of Alex Turner that the general public don't get to see a lot in popular music.

EDIT: I probably shouldn't have said I gave it 10/10, as I've just remembered I'm not publishing that review until Friday, after I've put up Datarock and The Dead Weather. Oops. :o:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.