Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    last week i went to my prtc at halton and was given my boots for basic to get used to them, while there we were advised to clean them everyday.
    what is the best method to clean them?? using a cloth like with polishing shoes or with a brush and scrub them??

thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    You need some good polish, two brushes to polish with and a cloth. If you want them to be mega shiny which they'll need to be for parade then you could put beeswax on them but once this cracks it takes a while to get it right again, best to save this for your good pair of boots that you'll use for drill. I'm assuming that they gave you two pairs?

Just spend hours polishing them, use one brush to apply the polish and the other to take it off (don't mix them up, you can get packs of two brushes from any supermarket, they usually have one black and one just the plain wood colour in the box). Also use a cloth, i use a duster because it's good for buffing. Apply a small amount of polish to the cloth and use little circular motions on the toe of the boot, sometimes you need a a little bit of moisture too, hours and hours and hours and hours of doing this will make them super shiny. Prepare to lose a huge proportion of your waking days to polishing your boots over the next few weeks. I used to just sit in front of the tv and do it, some people find it quite therapeutic.

To get used to wearing them use them for running every day, wear a good pair of socks with them otherwise you'll cut your feet to shreads!

ReputationRep:
    no there not the parade shoes i have bee given its the boots that u wear during rifle training. Apparently they dont have to be mega shiny but a brush and then cloth sounds best idea to me.

ReputationRep:
    Use 2 brushes. Brush on.. Brush off (using polish... )

ReputationRep:
    The boots you wear for drill (parade), rifle training and any other training are all the same, at least they are in the Army (with the exception of the trainers you'll also be issued with for PT - the infamous silver shadows). Standard issue black boots, unless you're lucky enough to get some better ones or buy you're own, although you'll probably be told you can only use issued kit in training. You'll probably get issued with another pair when you arrive which will be your 'good' pair. Best not to mix them up otherwise you'll spend ages cleaning boots you've been on exercise with for drill training. In basic training you'll probably get a lesson in how to polish boots properly, and how to iron, etc etc. My experience comes from the Army but i can't imagine there being too many differences. What are you planning on doing in the RAF?

ReputationRep:
    we only get issued with one pair of boots in the raf which is why we have them now to wear them in, and we get 2 paris of shoes number 1 and number 2 brush sounds best idea i shall have to buy some, i am going in the raf as a firefighter.
    how about you what do you do in the army???

ReputationRep:
    Wash them with water if they get dirty, then black polish. Even though they're not No1's, The RAF are very proud of their uniforms so keep them nice and black. (cover up the scuffs)

ReputationRep:
    ok so wash the boots with water to remove dirt and apply polish to keep the boots looking there best.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, Remember not to make them shiney. only no1s need to be shiney...

EDIT: Cleaning everything wont seem to take as long if you're proud of your kit.

ReputationRep:
    yeah they said number 1's u proper bul them all over number 2 just the toes and your boots just keep them looking there best and they dont expect them to shine like the shoes. thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome :grin:

Hope you have a great time in the RAF! (I come from an RAF family)

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much so what do u do in the air force??
    im dreading swimming part on basic i never swim im trying to get some in before basic in september im pretty usless at it haha.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Kiwi black polish - nothing else - not Cherry Blossom. Small brush to put polish on (take laces out and get it into seams and onto the tongue area). Use larger brush to remove, then a quick buff with a cloth. You don't want a parade shine. Make sure you wear them lots and work the polish into all creases. If they get soaked, fill with crumpled up newspaper and leave to dry, but not on a radiator.

ReputationRep:
    brilliant thanks everyone this has helped now i can get wearing them ready for basic, while im here any info on the final 308 interview i got to do where i sign my papers????

ReputationRep:
    those boots are soo uncomfortable, i feel sorry for you.
    at cadets everyone got rid of them and used magnum elites instead. but well, that may not be an option for you
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    those boots are soo uncomfortable, i feel sorry for you.
    at cadets everyone got rid of them and used magnum elites instead. but well, that may not be an option for you
    You mean 'all the kids who wear trainers all the time found proper leather boots too hard so bought the boot version of training shoes'? Nothing wrong with those boots for at least 90% of the military.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    You mean 'all the kids who wear trainers all the time found proper leather boots too hard so bought the boot version of training shoes'? Nothing wrong with those boots for at least 90% of the military.
    I loved my boots, i was gutted to get rid of them!

I'm not in the RAF myself but members of my family are

ReputationRep:
    oh right thats kool well thanx every1 for the advice and help im now going for my 1st walk in the boots
    weeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    1st time?.... Ouch. don't forget 2 pairs of socks then! you don't want blisters!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    1st time?.... Ouch. don't forget 2 pairs of socks then! you don't want blisters!
    Not needed - just half-decent socks. One pair. Thick. Wear boots a little bit at a time.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.