Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Not needed - just half-decent socks. One pair. Thick. Wear boots a little bit at a time.
    Everyone's different I suppose. a thin and a thick pair worked for me. Until i bought £120 walking boots, it's like walking on air :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seasons_wither)
    oh right thats kool well thanx every1 for the advice and help im now going for my 1st walk in the boots
    weeeeeeeeeeeee
    Me too Now to get the savlon and hockey tape out! One pair of socks or two---depends what works for you I think. The Flt Sgt who talked to us said to make sure that the socks you wear aren't nylon, that's all.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wore some Coolmax inner socks with the most expensive hiking socks I could find on the outside (or flying socks at a push), but agreed, you need to find what works for you. I seem to remember doing a lot of soaking with surgical spirit and going through reams of zinc oxide tape, though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If you feel the need to buy socks, I'll recommend Smartwool ones. Not cheap, but the very best I've ever used for work or leisure hiking and climbing. Longest lasting and most comfy by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I wore some Coolmax inner socks with the most expensive hiking socks I could find on the outside (or flying socks at a push), but agreed, you need to find what works for you.
    Yea, I'm not liking the issued socks so far, hopefully my walking socks will be much better. I'm undecided on inner socks. I'm fairly sure I used to wear two pairs with boots, but I've been wearing lighter walking shoes recently which are better with only one pair. There's a little bit too much room in these boots though so I think two might be the way to go.
    (Original post by Wzz)
    I seem to remember doing a lot of soaking with surgical spirit and going through reams of zinc oxide tape, though.
    Mmmmm, lovely. I have a fairly comprehensive blister kit from my rowing days and favour hockey tape myself, though surgical spirit made my hands crack and bleed (nice), so haven't decided whether to use it on my feet or not yet! I think I'll see how quickly they harden up without it first...

ReputationRep:
    Before you go to far polishing them I highly recommend you soften the up a bit. There are no end of views on how to do this but my trick is to soak them in water then go for a walk in them. Repeat if needed. Only use normal Kiwi polish but you can occasionally use a neutral coloured nik wax like substance to soften and partially water proof them. Im using G Wax from Millets to soften my new pair of squeaky hard boots and it seems to be soaking in nicely, but it is early days.

As already stated get your self some decent socks. You will need to trial what system (1 pair thick, 2 pairs thin, 1 pair med etc etc) suites your feet and may need to change for summer and winter etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seasons_wither)
    we only get issued with one pair of boots in the raf which is why we have them now to wear them in, and we get 2 paris of shoes number 1 and number 2 brush sounds best idea i shall have to buy some, i am going in the raf as a firefighter.
    how about you what do you do in the army???

I was in the TA and UOTC while at uni and continued in the TA after graduating and getting my commission. Pretty much the only time i've worn footwear other than the issued boots was on my passing out parade at Sandhurst. But i guess you guys don't spend as much time in DPM. Good luck with your training.

ReputationRep:
    imo use two dusters/cloths - one on one off
    and dont wear 2 pairs of socks - increases heat > increases friction > increases blisters
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by apotts)
    and dont wear 2 pairs of socks - increases heat > increases friction > increases blisters
    Rubbish; it depends on how the 2 layers interact. I found that wearing tight coolmax inners meant that any friction occurred by the socks rubbing against them, and not my feet. Brand new boots, and all the way through IOT (the older, hard one) without a single blister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    the older, hard one
    Boo Hiss! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    (the older, hard one)
    When I were a lad, we did IOT down t' mines. And all we ate was coal. And grateful for it. Youth of today. Bah. :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by anony_miss)
    When I were a lad, we did IOT down t' mines. And all we ate was coal. And grateful for it. Youth of today. Bah. :rolleyes:
    I am positively not from Yorkshire, thank you...

Other than that, yes.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wzz - I hope you are talking about Boots, High Leg and not those wussy Combat Assault Boots? Proper hard boots they were.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can't blame us for what we get issued, it's not as if it's by choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Wzz - I hope you are talking about Boots, High Leg and not those wussy Combat Assault Boots? Proper hard boots they were.
    Sissies!!!

Hobnail sandals - all the way from Rome to hadrians wall!

Socks???? Pah!!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Hannibal Smith)
    Sissies!!!

Hobnail sandals - all the way from Rome to hadrians wall!

Socks???? Pah!!!
    I bet you got yourself some of them Altberg Patrol Sandals - them comfy lightweight ones - you big jessy you!

ReputationRep:
    If you are trying to break them in I would recommend using a good dose of nikwax to impregnate the leather. Make sure the boots are very clean, with a normal polish with kiwi and brushes, then apply nikwax with your fingers. This will melt the wax-like polish and allow it to get deep into the leather. Really cover the boots, then let it sit on the surface on the leather for at least 24 hours before cleaning it off. Repeat a few times if you can.

This will soften up the leather, and will keep the boots more supple and waterproof when you are out in the field. Once this has been done, then you will be able to use ordinary polish and brushes as recommended elsewhere.

An alternative to Nikwax is to use Neatsfoot oil - which you can find at any saddlery. But this will make it much harder to get a shine on your boots when at basic, so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    Best way to do it is;
    Kiwi polish
    1x polishing brush
    1x cleaning (shining brush)

However i would recommend wearing them daily to break them in and when taking them off give them a good polish and leave them out to let the polish soak into the leather to soften the leather up, making it comfier for you, helps alot for when you get to RTS aswell, for example - Regiment phase you do quite a bit of running in your boots and one of the lads on my flight couldnt wear his boots for a good 3-4 weeks due to blisters from not breaking them in correctly, so feel free to be lazy and not wear them in

ReputationRep:
    I've always worn two pairs of socks with my boots. A pair of sport socks and a pair of walking socks. Has worked for 5+ years so far for me!
    As for breaking them in, theres no real shortcut. Just got to wear them as much as possible and try and soften them up by brush polishing them as has been described in previous posts.

ReputationRep:
    I've had to whack out a hairdryer to aid the smoothing of a particularly nasty heel cap. Other than that, mine are more or less fully broken in within about 3 days.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.