Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    thanx for help every1, i am wearing them as much as i can walking into town etc to pick things up even though i look like a knob in 3 quarter shorts and fighting boots haha.
    just need to get polishing more!!!
    the squeak is driving me insane though i just want them to break in!

ReputationRep:
    Lol i wouldn't go to the extreme's of going in town with them :p: But walking around hills and such where the boots bend and get used to all types of terrain, if you don't keep polishing your find yourself with a few deep blisters come RTS regiment phase and believe me, the blisters aren't pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hammeh)
    Lol i wouldn't go to the extreme's of going in town with them :p: But walking around hills and such where the boots bend and get used to all types of terrain, if you don't keep polishing your find yourself with a few deep blisters come RTS regiment phase and believe me, the blisters aren't pretty

That's all well and good if you have hills nearby. But any form of breaking in is better than none.

ReputationRep:
    No one mentioned the long, hot soak? I do that with essentially any leather foot wear I get issued, did it with my new pair of steel cap safety boots recently, works far quicker than just walking around and polish in my experience, having tried both methods.

ReputationRep:
    MESSAGE FOR ALL THE NEWBIES:

This thread is a fine example of how a simple task can be turned into a science.:yes:

Now the big question.

What is the best way of sticking Fablon to a map?:woo::eek3: :woo: :eek3:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Hannibal Smith)
    Now the big question.

What is the best way of sticking Fablon to a map?
    I prefer the single person, central cut, two-part smooth technique, with a blade and iron on standby :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why would you want to fablon a map? You won't be writing on it - WILL YOU!?!

ReputationRep:
    In case it rains? Or someone spills bacon and beans on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannibal Smith)

What is the best way of sticking Fablon to a map?:woo::eek3: :woo: :eek3:
    One of life's great questions. In short, very carefully!

I guess the number of people involved in said Fablon-ing all depends on the size of your map, I could tell you my secret, but then I'd have to kill you. :lockstock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AC Bloggs)
    No one mentioned the long, hot soak? I do that with essentially any leather foot wear I get issued, did it with my new pair of steel cap safety boots recently, works far quicker than just walking around and polish in my experience, having tried both methods.
    Yeah, likewise. The Navy don't issue us with boots before we join so we have to wait 'til we pitch up and start training... the 1.5/3 mile run in them before they're broken in, with the starched-beyond-belief "fire retardent" clothing isn't very pleasant...

I prefer to soak them, once or twice - brush polish and leave on as long as possible before taking off (overnight) and they'll be nice and soft in no time!

:top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Yeah, likewise. The Navy don't issue us with boots before we join so we have to wait 'til we pitch up and start training... the 1.5/3 mile run in them before they're broken in, with the starched-beyond-belief "fire retardent" clothing isn't very pleasant...

I prefer to soak them, once or twice - brush polish and leave on as long as possible before taking off (overnight) and they'll be nice and soft in no time!

:top:
    My boyfriend has just finished his officer training at Dartmouth and he was issued his boots when he arrived but they were given a chance to break them in before they had to do any phys in them. They used trainers to begin with and then started wearing boots more and more.

It's in the interests of the instructors to give time to allow people to break boots in, the last thing they need is a whole platoon with blisters.

When I did my training with the Army i was in the TA so i was able to break my boots in quite a bit before i used them for training, plus my pre Sandhurst stuff was mostly spread out over a number of weekends so i had plenty of time inbetween to get them sorted properly.

ReputationRep:
    Normally, for the RAF you'd get your boots about 2 months in advance of starting, but owing to a few reasons I only got mine with 3 weeks to go.

Halfway through that period now but they're already broken in pretty well. Been on a couple of [short] runs in them as well as a few long walks.

Not an issue really if you know what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    i know its not about the boots, but does anyone knows how many press ups and sit ups i got to do in 1 minute (officer carrer). How often they recruit officers all the time or certain times in the year ?>?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wklubinski)
    i know its not about the boots, but does anyone knows how many press ups and sit ups i got to do in 1 minute (officer carrer). How often they recruit officers all the time or certain times in the year ?>?

There's no fitness test for Officers in the RAF that I've heard of that asks you for press ups and sit ups over 1 minute.

The RAFFT gives you 30seconds, the IOTFA gives you 2 mins.

[30s = 12 pressups, 35 situps. 2mins = 34 pressups, 40 situps though both of these alter depending on age]

Recruitment is an ongoing process, always happening. IOT intakes are [roughly] every 11 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    The fitness standards vary for ages, worth reading through the fitness thread, there is a lot of information including some useful links.

They recruit all year round, however certain branches can be closed at times of the year. A lot of ground branches at the moment are closed. You can easily check your options by ringing your nearest AFCO. A quick read through the forum will give you an idea of what's closed at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wklubinski)
    I spent a few mins on the internet trying to find the link to the RAF officer standards but couldn't find it. Here's the one for the Navy, they aren't the same but are similar.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operatio...fore-you-join/

Standards for the Army are higher because the role tends to be more physical.

ReputationRep:
    Here's the Army link

Army

ReputationRep:
    The RAF has no specific fitness test for officers, it is all the same for all ranks. One team, one fight etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy257)
    The RAF has no specific fitness test for officers, it is all the same for all ranks. One team, one fight etc.
    Usually the officers have harder targets to beat, lead from the front and all that. At least that's how things work in the Army.

ReputationRep:
    The RAF fitness standards are linked to in the Fitness thread on this forum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.