Turn on thread page Beta

Can anyone recommend me a program? watch

ReputationRep:
    This workout I've been doing the last 6 weeks or so is starting to go quite stale, doing splits but the range of exercises and what I'm doing is getting quite boring and I'm not noticing the gains as much anymore.

Lower body is still working quite well but that's with the cardio as well.

I've been regularly going the gym around 4 times a week for over 12 months now so although I'm no pro, I don't count myself as a rookie no more, and have learnt alot.

But if anyone has any programs to do which covers 4 or 5 days in the gym and have a link to it that they recommend I wouldn't mind starting something fresh on Monday for a good few weeks.

A while back I looked at crossfit maybe (cant remember), and rosstraining but I'd rather know what I'm doing for the entire week then the one I checked which just gave you an exercise on the day.

Cheers guys

Goals: Weight Loss/Muscle Gain

Currently Doing: Splits (Lower, Chest/Tris, Back/Bicep, Rest, Shoulders, Other stuff quick routine (forearms/wrist etc.), Rest
    Cardio: Do it outside of the gym (Football, Rugby, Squash, Golf(), and currently doing a running program

ReputationRep:
    Bodypart splits oh gawd
    The goal weight loss/muscle gain makes absolutely no sense, this is just simple physics.
    What is your bench, squat and deadlift? Something tells me you should probably be doing the simple effective training that works for everyone else, but for some reason are "targetting bodyparts"?

Whyyyyy are you targetting bodyparts? A shoulders day? Please. You play rubgy! You're not a pro BBer. Think logically here. Post your numbers s,b,d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Bodypart splits oh gawd
    The goal weight loss/muscle gain makes absolutely no sense, this is just simple physics.
    What is your bench, squat and deadlift? Something tells me you should probably be doing the simple effective training that works for everyone else, but for some reason are "targetting bodyparts"?

Whyyyyy are you targetting bodyparts? A shoulders day? Please. You play rubgy! You're not a pro BBer. Think logically here. Post your numbers s,b,d
    They're nothing great, whatsoever. I've been going for higher reps then strength because of playing football more next season, playing centre mid I need to get fitter than be a unit in the middle.

The reason I'm doing them splits is for one reason; I enjoy going the gym, and although evidentally not the most effective, it allows me to go 4-5 times a week, whereas I couldn't do that if I was doing a full body workout. So if there are alternatives that allow me to go to the gym 4-5 times a week I'd be happy to change routine.

Squats - 140kg
    Deadlift - 80kg
    Chest Press - 70kg ( thats got worse than better lately)

As I say I've been training for a good while now and it's working. I used to go the gym last year and do full body workouts a few times a week but I think I overtrained, not giving them enough rest so thats why I just decided to go to splits - so many people seem to do them.

I really do appreciate the constructive criticism and pointers though

ReputationRep:
    I find it very hard to believe that you squat 140kg to parallel or lower when you only deadlift 80kg, or is there some other reason as to why there's such a big difference between those two lifts for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowrofl)
    I find it very hard to believe that you squat 140kg to parallel or lower when you only deadlift 80kg, or is there some other reason as to why there's such a big difference between those two lifts for you?
    I haven't been doing deadlift very long and I'm concentrating on form, whereas I've been doing squats for a good couple of years. I ruined my back and was out for while from rugby in 2006 so whenever starting new exercises I take it slow just because I know if I try add to much too my DL and my form jolts I could get injured again pretty easily.

I'm not making them up, I mean alot on here do much more than that, because afterall If I was cheating I'd definitley raise my chest press because that isn't great whatsoever, I see alot more smaller guys doing alot more than that :P

ReputationRep:
    Post form vids of squat and DL. Either your deadlift is seriously lagging because of form like you said, or you're squatting too high. If someone can do good clean reps with 140, I'd wager they can also pick up an object off the floor that's heavier than 80k.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd like to know just how deep you're going.

Are you the left or right image? Or neither?

ReputationRep:
    And you'd rather place "going to the gym" as a more significant factor than "results from the gym"? That's very odd, especially considering you're supposed to be training for sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    And you'd rather place "going to the gym" as a more significant factor than "results from the gym"? That's very odd, especially considering you're supposed to be training for sport.
    Well when I don't go as often, I don't eat as well and I get out of routine easily. So If I'm going regularly, stupid as it may sound, I have a good routine in all aspects.

So I'd rather go 4-5 times a week and get average results because I know going 3 times a week I won't do aswell outside the gym. I knew there was a reason why I've stopped starting topics in this forum.

I know how to squat, I don't go below parallel but I go parallel and I've had to build to get to that, deadlifts I've only just started doing really and I'm doing it the same way I built up my squat, I'm also getting used to what grip I prefer.

Although my program is gash in bodybuilding terms and everything, I did get the contradicting results in weight loss and muscle gain. I have plenty more muscle now and have lost 4 stone. But now as I try to get down to my perfect weight I've seen slow progress and hence wanting to adjust to a different program that I was hoping you guys would suggest. Don't get me wrong I'm sure pictures comparing with other people who do weights on here would be terrible, but my before and present progress is something that is really good considering I was 18 stone with a BMI nearing 40.

Whatever is gash about my old program it'd be nice to see what is a good program. Because as I say I am fairly knew to this, never studied anything to do with it, but I just found stuff that worked for me that doesn't anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I thought your deadlift was meant to be much bigger than your squat. Deadlifts cover so many muscles You definately need to improve on that!

Hows your bench press got worse? You said your doing more reps... Maybe you need to take a step back or go for a bigger weight one week then reset again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    I thought your deadlift was meant to be much bigger than your squat. Deadlifts cover so many muscles You definitely need to improve on that!

Hows your bench press got worse? You said your doing more reps... Maybe you need to take a step back or go for a bigger weight one week then reset again
    It's just I'm fairly new with the DL and with past back injury through sport I'm just getting form right etc while I've done squats for a couple of years.

I'm not sure, the bench press has only got worse past 2 sessions I've just tired easy, I'm thinking I might be doing too many chest exercises perhaps or need to start doing it more than once a week.

Just hoping theres some good programs out there for a gym workout around 4 or 5 times a week to start doing from this monday. As don't like googling without seeing people critiques on them.

ReputationRep:
    why dont you do bench press every other session

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    It's just I'm fairly new with the DL and with past back injury through sport I'm just getting form right etc while I've done squats for a couple of years.

I'm not sure, the bench press has only got worse past 2 sessions I've just tired easy, I'm thinking I might be doing too many chest exercises perhaps or need to start doing it more than once a week.

Just hoping theres some good programs out there for a gym workout around 4 or 5 times a week to start doing from this monday. As don't like googling without seeing people critiques on them.
    Westside for Skinny *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    Bodypart splits oh gawd

I thought logically in the sense I posted here to get some advice from people who know better on where to change my routine or what to do instead. I didn't want criticise with my current plan because that is getting thrown out the window come Monday anyway...

So seen as splits are only for professional bodybuilders, I'm assuming I should go down the full boy routine 3-4 times a week. Do you know any places or examples of good programs or routines to follow for this. I don't want to create my own because obviously I'm no real scholar of this area and don't want to be blazed next time I want to change.

Starting Strength by Rippetoe has been done.

ReputationRep:
    I thought logically in the sense I posted here to get some advice from people who know better on where to change my routine or what to do instead. I didn't want criticise with my current plan because that is getting thrown out the window come Monday anyway...

So seen as splits are only for professional bodybuilders, I'm assuming I should go down the full boy routine 3-4 times a week. Do you know any places or examples of good programs or routines to follow for this. I don't want to create my own because obviously I'm no real scholar of this area and don't want to be blazed next time I want to change.

Starting Strength by Rippetoe has been done.
    You don't have to do a full-body workout - there's a fair bit of middle ground between full body and bodypart splits which give teh bicepts their own day etc.

Think upper/lower splits, push/pull splits, a westside variant etc. I'd be tempted by either Madcow's 5x5 or W4SB. Though whatever you do, you need to get that deadlift up!

EDIT: You've done SS you say, but with an 80kg pull you could certainly get plenty more gains out of it, unless you weigh something ridiculous like 45kg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    You don't have to do a full-body workout - there's a fair bit of middle ground between full body and bodypart splits which give teh bicepts their own day etc.

Think upper/lower splits, push/pull splits, a westside variant etc. I'd be tempted by either Madcow's 5x5 or W4SB. Though whatever you do, you need to get that deadlift up!

EDIT: You've done SS you say, but with an 80kg pull you could certainly get plenty more gains out of it, unless you weigh something ridiculous like 45kg.
    Thanks mate, that's what I was looking for! I'll have a look at some of them programs now, I'd imagine a quick google will take me to the actual programs? Goin to just check

upper/lower split programs
    push/pull split programs
    westside variant
    madcows 5x5
    w4sb

see which one interests me more and which i think i'd get more out of. I always see people saying not to make your own programs until you know exactly what you're doing, and split routines (there are loads on the web) so I just did them kind of. But if I'm getting rid of pure splits it'd be nice to be able to follow something like these.

Ta man, i'll reply later probably of my choice, but any other points or advice is welcome on which I should do or, what'd be best or any other types of programs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yes, I'd like to know just how deep you're going.

Are you the left or right image? Or neither?

Both high squats

ReputationRep:
    I know how to squat, I don't go below parallel but I go parallel
    Put it into practice then, its not a squat if it doesn't break parallel

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate, that's what I was looking for! I'll have a look at some of them programs now, I'd imagine a quick google will take me to the actual programs? Goin to just check

upper/lower split programs
    push/pull split programs
    westside variant
    madcows 5x5
    w4sb

see which one interests me more and which i think i'd get more out of. I always see people saying not to make your own programs until you know exactly what you're doing, and split routines (there are loads on the web) so I just did them kind of. But if I'm getting rid of pure splits it'd be nice to be able to follow something like these.

Ta man, i'll reply later probably of my choice, but any other points or advice is welcome on which I should do or, what'd be best or any other types of programs
    With some you'll have to be more specific. Pretty sure Smack knows some half decent push/pulls and upper/lower ones. I'm no real expert.

Madcow's:
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

WS4SB:

I know Brotherhood's had some decent gains out of WS4SB and it's designed for athletes and so should help you with your rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    With some you'll have to be more specific. Pretty sure Smack knows some half decent push/pulls and upper/lower ones. I'm no real expert.

Madcow's:

WS4SB:

I know Brotherhood's had some decent gains out of WS4SB and it's designed for athletes and so should help you with your rugby.
    Cheers mate, I might PM brotherhood about that, as I think he's into cycling etc. too, as well as maybe getting in touch with smack, about time I add some variation!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.