Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What's the smoky fog stuff made from in nightclubs? And could it make me loose my voice? I've randomly lost mine, and have no idea how, and that's the only thing that remotely could have caused it!

ReputationRep:
    did you shout a lot last night in the club

drinking and shouting don't help

ReputationRep:
    screaming maybe, i wouldnt think a dry ice machine would make you lose your voice

ReputationRep:
    It's basically made from glycerine which is why it smells sugary. It's not dry ice - they'd never use dry ice effects in a club because it's carbon dioxide which can make you suffocate.

Lots of info (including health effects) here.

ReputationRep:
    wasn't shouting much, or no more than usual! and it was fine when I got in. This is the second day of voicelessness and it's very annoying!

ReputationRep:
    i hate it! and i'm usually stupid enough to stand right next to where there squirt the stuff out from!

ReputationRep:
    It's a highly complex interaction that has nothing to do with the club owners. Basically it's the interactions between body heat, co2 from people breathing and people farting. It's the same in a cattle shed. Weird but true

ReputationRep:
    It's horrible.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get that aswell, a dry feeling in my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    it dissipates quite quickly, & it shouldnt affect your breathing

though its not a good idea to stand right in front of the machine
    same as you shouldnt stare into a laser or any of the other lighting

ReputationRep:
    "The Entertainment Services and Technology Association (ESTA) has compiled a standard for theatrical fogs or artificial mists compositions for use in entertainment venues that "are not likely to be harmful to otherwise healthy performers, technicians, or audience members of normal working age, which is 18 to 64 years of age, inclusive."[6] This standard was based primarily (though not exclusively), upon the findings of a report commissioned for ESTA by the Cohen Group[7] and applies only those fog fluid compositions that consist of a mixture of water and glycol (so called "water based" fog fluid).

Short term exposure to glycol fog can be associated with headaches, dizziness, drowsiness and tiredness. Long term exposure to smoke and fog can be related to upper airway and voice symptoms. Extended (multi-year) exposure to smoke and fog has been associated with both short-term and long-term respiratory health problems. Efforts should be made to reduce exposure to theatrical smoke to as low a level as possible. The use of digital effects in post production on film and television sets can be considered a safer practise than using theatrical smoke and fog during filming[8], although this is not always practical."

In all honesty though, it was probably the drink and the lack of sleep.

ReputationRep:
    It's the smell of desperation and despair :emo:

But yeah, what everyone else has said. Glycerine and all that.

ReputationRep:
    never been clubbing ...can;t help, sorry x

ReputationRep:
    I was out on Monday night and I still can't talk above a whisper!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.