Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is the quote soooo expensive Watch

ReputationRep:
    So i've just started driving lessons, and wanted to know how much roughly will i be paying for insurance. I chose a car made in 1995, as i thought insurance should be cheap, it was a normal car, 1.4L, and not sport or anything like that, and the insurance came out to be over £3,500

ReputationRep:
    Insurance for males is higher anyway... and some older cars I can imagine insurance is higher on because they break more easily, perhaps?

I don't know, though... I passed my test 6 monhts ago but have never had a car.

ReputationRep:
    a) you're a guy
    b) it's a 1.4

As a new driver your insurance is sky high. Even my little 0.8 was expensive, maybe 1400 quid after i passed my test? But nothing that steep, try sorting a smaller engine.

ReputationRep:
    young, male, inexperienced = massive premium.

pretty much inevitable.
    best way to avoid it is a classic policy.

ReputationRep:
    how many places did you check? some insurance provides dont want to insure new drivers, so they put a sky high price on it. e.g. when i was getting isnurance for my first bike, i got some quotes like £7000 tpo, but ended up going for £260 tpo.

ReputationRep:
    It's most probably the engine size.

ReputationRep:
    it was confused.com, so it checked quite a few, 3500 was minimum, some went as high as 10000, i know im a guy, but i never thought it'd be that much. 1.4- i thought that'd be ok.

ReputationRep:
    tell me about it. i have to do pass pluss to get it cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Like most people have said, you're male which is the first kick in the balls.
    How old are you?
    Are you applying for the insurance in your own name with only a provisional license or a full license?

And also 1.4, my friend with a years driving experience and 1 years ncb can only just insure a 1.4 and hes 21.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, It's because you're a boy. Im insured on a 2008 Mini One with a 1.4 litre engine for around £1000, but that's based on me being a named driver on my mother's insurance, see if you can put a parent on as the policy holder, it might lower it a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Probably more to do with the area you live, your age and the car than anything else. Engine size and insurance group normally have little to do with the actual quote.

Also aimed at the poster above, don't encourage fronting as it can void your insurance should you or anyone else need to claim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special_K)
    a) you're a guy
    b) it's a 1.4

As a new driver your insurance is sky high. Even my little 0.8 was expensive, maybe 1400 quid after i passed my test? But nothing that steep, try sorting a smaller engine.
    :rofl:
    thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    like fosters88 said, it may be to do with the car; rather than the engine size and age.

try www.adrianflux.co.uk

they're a broker that don't advertise on comparison sites. My '97 P reg Clio 1.2 for TPFT was £960 (I'm 18 and the policyholder, have pass plus and got license back in november)

ReputationRep:
    Did you try moneysupermarket.com? They seem to come out cheap on that...
    You'll just have to go for a smaller engine. I have a 1.2 and it can be infuriatingly slow but meh, it gets be around.

ReputationRep:
    What insurance group does it wall into? My 1.1 is only group 1 and it cost me £1000 to insure when I first passed. But I'm female. It was much cheaper before I passed though (£400ish...).

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what people have said here - you're young, inexperienced, a learner, the engine size, and you're male.

ReputationRep:
    You might be right about the postal code thing, my area is pretty much the worst area in coventry, and loads of people smash other people's cars, and play insurance scams. Those f*ckers, i suffer the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    Where you live makes a huge difference.

My first car was a 57 plate Mazda 2, 1.4 litre. (Call me spoilt if you like, but I paid £7000 of it)
    I live in a pretty good area, a long way from any "dodgy" parts of Bristol and the car is locked in a secure garage at night.
    I paid £1300 for third party fire & theft first year.
    Now I am paying £1250 for fully comprehensive.

A mate of mine who lives in a pretty damn dodgy part of bristol, with a much higher crime rate than where I live, got a quote for the same car and the cheapest he found was £3400 for third party fire & theft.

So if you are a bloke, young, just passed your test and don't live in a very good are then you will be paying a huge amount for your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :rofl:
    thanks for that
    oh, it's a piece of crap, but it goes! It helps that I rev the **** out of it lol. But yeh, that's generally people's reactions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zafaru123)
    So i've just started driving lessons, and wanted to know how much roughly will i be paying for insurance. I chose a car made in 1995, as i thought insurance should be cheap, it was a normal car, 1.4L, and not sport or anything like that, and the insurance came out to be over £3,500
    Go to Direct Line to get a cheap quote, And I wouldn't advise putting yourself as the named driver, get one of your parents to put themselves as named driver, and you as a second driver .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.