Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone go here?
    Whats it like?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    I've got some job offers and I'm thinking of accepting this one but I'm not sure yet.

ReputationRep:
    Usually very busy, highly popular with your stereotypical Bristolian students (read 'privileged'), overly aggressive bouncers, standard music. I'd say it's loved and hated in equal measure, I personally hated it. Can't tell you much more about it I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheer up)
    Usually very busy, highly popular with your stereotypical Bristolian students (read 'privileged'), overly aggressive bouncers, standard music. I'd say it's loved and hated in equal measure, I personally hated it. Can't tell you much more about it I'm afraid.
    Thank you
    It isn't the kind of place I'd pick for a night out by the sound of it, but I don't think that matters. The last bar I worked at wasn't somewhere I would ever have gone to either but it was still ok. Overly aggressive bouncers are actually not that badder thing from the point of view of staff, if it means they will intervene if you are getting abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    Thank you
    It isn't the kind of place I'd pick for a night out by the sound of it, but I don't think that matters. The last bar I worked at wasn't somewhere I would ever have gone to either but it was still ok. Overly aggressive bouncers are actually not that badder thing from the point of view of staff, if it means they will intervene if you are getting abused.
    No worries. You're probably right about the doorman thing, but just thought I'd mention it as it's probably one of the worst places for it. They came very close to having their affiliation with the university removed last year after a succession of incidents, and there was a rather nasty case a few years ago where a student had his eyeball ruptured (bouncer got sent to prison). But still, a job is a job, and there's not many about at the moment so go for it.

ReputationRep:
    No worries. You're probably right about the doorman thing, but just thought I'd mention it as it's probably one of the worst places for it. They came very close to having their affiliation with the university removed last year after a succession of incidents, and there was a rather nasty case a few years ago where a student had his eyeball ruptured (bouncer got sent to prison). But still, a job is a job, and there's not many about at the moment so go for it.
    Oh god, that is pretty bad! Hopefully the bouncers will be on their best behaviour if one got locked up. How exactly does the affiliation with the uni work? He mentioned something about "sponsorship" to me but I didn't really get it.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they sponsor some of the university sports teams and as such get business from various nights out e.g. socials, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they sponsor some of the university sports teams and as such get business from various nights out e.g. socials, etc.
    Ah right.
    I think I am going to take it because the manager has me down to start the day I move, where as the other ones have said "ring up when you move for shifts" or "we will ring you when you have moved" which is less certain.

Ta

ReputationRep:
    I personally like the Lizard Lounge. Me and my friends have only been once so far though, just coz we generally stick to the centre so we don't have to get taxis. We all really liked it though apart from it being so packed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahdaisy)
    I personally like the Lizard Lounge. Me and my friends have only been once so far though, just coz we generally stick to the centre so we don't have to get taxis. We all really liked it though apart from it being so packed!

Come and say hi to me next time you go in

ReputationRep:
    Come and say hi to me next time you go in
    I will do if we ever bother to venture out of the centre again lol. Think we will this year though coz it's our final one, probably try and go out to more places. We're usually just being lazy and cheap, going somewhere that we don't need a taxi!

ReputationRep:
    I've not actually been there yet, but I've heard good things from friends. I'm working at Syndicate at the mo

ReputationRep:
    Usually go there every couple of weeks for a change, always enjoy it

Word of warning though, it can get obscenely hot in there sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverstandstill)
    I've not actually been there yet, but I've heard good things from friends. I'm working at Syndicate at the mo
    Ah cool. I've been told to ring up when I move for shifts there, but I would prefer to work at the Lizard Lounge because they can give me a lot more hours, even though Syndicate is like 5 mins walk from my flat. I will probably come in as a customer at some point tho

(Original post by EGjeff)
    Usually go there every couple of weeks for a change, always enjoy it

Word of warning though, it can get obscenely hot in there sometimes!
    Say hi if you come in when I am working

Thanks for the tip, I will bear that in mind when I get dressed for my first shift.

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool. I've been told to ring up when I move for shifts there, but I would prefer to work at the Lizard Lounge because they can give me a lot more hours, even though Syndicate is like 5 mins walk from my flat. I will probably come in as a customer at some point tho

Say hi if you come in when I am working

Thanks for the tip, I will bear that in mind when I get dressed for my first shift.
    You in UNITE halls then? I'm at Phoenix Court for the summer but going private in September. Waaay to much money..

ReputationRep:
    You in UNITE halls then? I'm at Phoenix Court for the summer but going private in September. Waaay to much money..
    Nah, I'm not going into halls. Got a flat at Buchanan's Wharf with my boyfriend. How come you are in halls for the summer?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm not going into halls. Got a flat at Buchanan's Wharf with my boyfriend. How come you are in halls for the summer?
    Ah good plan! I'm just in halls because I got an awesome deal, 2 months rent for the price of 2 weeks. Think they were just trying to fill up.

ReputationRep:
    Ah good plan! I'm just in halls because I got an awesome deal, 2 months rent for the price of 2 weeks. Think they were just trying to fill up.
    Oh cool, thats pretty damn cheap. Are you going to be a fresher?

ReputationRep:
    Unite do that every summer which is really good. Helps them to keep some business while everyone's on summer break I guess!

ReputationRep:
    On principle it's the worst place on earth.

Not a very nice club aesthically, really dingy, small, music is cheesey...

HOWEVER pretty much everyone will go, as some have said, very typical nights out. Drinks are cheap as and everyone seems to have a good time there. And it's in a pretty good location. It is one of those places that you have to be smashed for and tend to have great nights because of it. It's pretty much constantly busy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.