Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The goverment should crack down on Jevohas witnesses Watch

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriends family are Jevohas witnesses but they arnt bad, they never talk about religon to me unless i ask. I didnt know untill the other day that they do kncking on peoples door as well, but i dont think they are bad though as they are luvly people and they would stop coming if you asked them to.
    Just tell them you would like them to stop coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)

Your an Afrikaner that can't speak Afrikaans? I know some people who would just die at my work place if that happened to their kids.
    No, I'm British. I was born in SA to British parents and they never applied for SA citizenship for me as they knew that they were moving back a few months after I was born. I only lived there until the age of 5 so I never learnt the language and I have no need to so I never have.

ReputationRep:
    Some came calling a couple of weeks ago and i told them if they ever came back i would be in Reading so they wouldn't see me ever again
    They said they have connections and might find me :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]Some came calling a couple of weeks ago and i told them if they ever came back i would be in Reading so they wouldn't see me ever again
    They said they have connections and might find me :shock:
    LOL! yeah they would assume they were being helpful being just simply contacting those in reading and passing on an address,

in future just say NO if you're not interested,
    but trust me it is a very interesting place to learn with them,
    some point i want to go back an carry on, probably during or after university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    LOL! yeah they would assume they were being helpful being just simply contacting those in reading and passing on an address,

in future just say NO if you're not interested,
    but trust me it is a very interesting place to learn with them,
    some point i want to go back an carry on, probably during or after university
    Oh i had explained that I wasn't interested and they carried on.
    Damn their persistence :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my[s)
    favorite[/s]things...]Oh i had explained that I wasn't interested and they carried on.
    Damn their persistence :sad:
    grrrrr damn them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    The logical approach is to put a sign on the front door saying no cold callers, no salesmen, and no religious types.

Simple really.
    Tried that, it seriously doesn't work. I had a woman call on Valentines day asking if I wanted to buy any washing machines. Oh, if looks could kill...

Jehovah's witnesses really annoy me, as do any people who try to shove religion down other people's throats. It can be quite funny when they preach in the middle of Newcastle though, and they get cheeky little chavs telling them to **** off. What do these people expect if they're yelling that everyone is going to hell?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand Jeohavah's witnesses?

If there's only a limited number of spaces in heaven or whatever they believe in, why are they trying to convert people to their faith?!

Surely they would want to keep these spaces for themselves, and surely the spaces are all filled up by now?

I wish they'd knock on my door so I could argue with them. They knocked once when I was little and my dad said.. who do you support?? And they were like, ermmm Birmingham City.. and he was like, well I don't come round your house telling you to support Aston Villa now get lost!

...funnily enough they never came back...

ReputationRep:
    It's not that hard to just politely tell them "Sorry, I'm really not interested", is it? I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's not like they come round every 5 minutes or in the middle of the night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    Ask one of them to step inside, then smack the mother ****** in his face, with a bat preferably.

If they call the police, say that you insisted they ****** off, he got aggresive and took a step inside so you defended yourself and your property as he was invading your space.

They deserve nothing less than this. No one should be allowed to knock on a persons door to preach. It should be illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    These guys keep coming to my house. In the early morning and evening when I'm trying to relax. They know I don't want to be converted. Crazy people.

The government should send the police to crack their heads. I respect religions even that one that believes in 300 million different Gods that represent one God. But I don't want to be preached about it. Leave me alone!

is the problem really about jevohas witnesses or is it the fact that you're a student and uve never had your hole??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    Tried that, it seriously doesn't work. I had a woman call on Valentines day asking if I wanted to buy any washing machines. Oh, if looks could kill...

Jehovah's witnesses really annoy me, as do any people who try to shove religion down other people's throats. It can be quite funny when they preach in the middle of Newcastle though, and they get cheeky little chavs telling them to **** off. What do these people expect if they're yelling that everyone is going to hell?
    I don't particularly like them all that much either, however they wouldn't go door to door if it didn't get them results. If only 1 in 10,000 convert after a visit that's still a small victory for them so they'll continue to do it. It's no worse than political groups going door to door trying to get you to switch parties. Best thing to do is to just humour them.

ReputationRep:
    I actually like them, they seem so committed and calm.

ReputationRep:
    I told them I was a scientologist and tried to engage with them about Xenu.

They never came back :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Try to sell them things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew_)
    They deserve nothing less than this.
    Well, aren't you a treat.

(Original post by Drew_)
    No one should be allowed to knock on a persons door to preach. It should be illegal.
    What about politicians and pollsters? What about the boyfriend who comes to your door begging forgiveness for having sex with that woman from the library?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baleful)

What about politicians and pollsters? What about the boyfriend who comes to your door begging forgiveness for having sex with that woman from the library?
    Even though those aren't exactly the same things, I wouldnt go as far as to make it illegal.

But on the other hand, if someone doesn't get off your property within a reasonable time after you request him in clear terms to do so - you should be allowed to dish out any punishment you deem suitable. They should become your property temporarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I don't really understand Jeohavah's witnesses?

If there's only a limited number of spaces in heaven or whatever they believe in, why are they trying to convert people to their faith?!

Surely they would want to keep these spaces for themselves, and surely the spaces are all filled up by now?

I wish they'd knock on my door so I could argue with them. They knocked once when I was little and my dad said.. who do you support?? And they were like, ermmm Birmingham City.. and he was like, well I don't come round your house telling you to support Aston Villa now get lost!

...funnily enough they never came back...
    Oh man...I wish I could have seen their faces! That was brillient!

Having had them knock on my door 5 times in as many days, I told the last one that if any more of their people called I'd report them for harrassment (I had tried asking them nicely not to call)...that put an end to the visits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baleful)

Dont be an idiot. I clearly meant religious preachers, salesmen etc. I would also include politicians and pollsters in that group, but not someone i know personally. If i want to get involved, i will do so of my own accord. I do not need people harrassing me at my own door.

ReputationRep:
    The JWs called at mine once. I invited them in to chat, but not before they gave me a Watchtower leaflet whilst on my doorstep.

They asked me whether I thought the Bible was more relevant today due to the fact that we live in an age of iniquity and the economic crisis which is effecting us all.

He obviously hadn't realised that the economic crisis benefits some but not others, and that although the Bible might give consolation and hope, it does not make the historicis of that book true, nor is the wise words within it grand truths.

I then let them in and they sat down to a visual feast of mountains of books on Egyptology and Sumerology all piled up on the table. They must have seen the NRSV bible underneath the table.

Let's just say they never came back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.