Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you think that many people decide to do medicine because of the tv show House? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I love House. It's defintley not the reason I want to go into medicine, but I am obsessed with the programme in a way far beyond what would be considered normal

ReputationRep:
    Yea clearly... because everyone wants to be addicted to vicodin and disabled. Or they want to be his *****.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what the record is for the amount of times House has brought someone back from the dead in one episode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enchanté)
    That's like asking whether people want to go into police force because of the bill
    I actually know someone who is now a police officer because of just that!

I wouldn't have thought House would be a major motivation for doing medicine - I had never even heard of it when I applied.

ReputationRep:
    I like to watch house - if for no other reason than to pick out all the medical mistakes! Its great. But no, it wasnt house that made me want to go into medicine - it was ER!!!

ReputationRep:
    House is the most over rated Doc TV show ever just ask HippySnake about it. I mean his intelligence is just beyond belief and he conjures up ideas in the unlikely places.
    Sanders, who provides the writers with the fact-based story ideas they crave and gives her expert opinion on the medicine in scripts, is pragmatic about her role with the show.'Sometimes if it's a choice between drama or comedy and complete accuracy, accuracy loses. I understand that. But I'm there to be the voice promoting accuracy, so I point it out and they either take it or not," she seemed to shrug. "It's hard to criticize their sense of drama and character."

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be too surprised.

I know someone who wants to be a forensic pathologist because she watches CSI.

ultimate facepalm
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    House is the best show on tv imo. Actually made me regret not considering doing medicine (but not because i want to be like him). However, i doubt people choose to apply for medicine based on a tv program. I don't think they'd get very far in the application's process if they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerSaysNo)
    I wouldn't be too surprised.

I know someone who wants to be a forensic pathologist because she watches CSI.

ultimate facepalm
    Why would you want to be a forensic pathologist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste-ve)
    House, no.
    Grey's Anatomy, yes :p:

No not really, I'm just quite cheery today, becuase I got my exam results. :yes:
    I love Grey's, but its silly to expect real-life work to be same as that in soaps/shows.
    Not directed at you, obviously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schoolstudent)
    And if so, are they being stupid?
    It is FAR from what the TV shows show..

If they put that in their application form.

They'll just be rejected.

If you want to study medicine I suggest thorough research for anyone.

ReputationRep:
    hopefully none of those that got in did

ReputationRep:
    House is awesome, but I've wanted to medicine long before I started watching it. Scrubs was good too, until Season 7, although that had absolutely no influence on my decision to apply for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of people who do law because of Phoenix Wright:love:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do history because of Niall Ferguson, but that's kind of related... Medicine just isn't like House.

ReputationRep:
    well the thing is....yes i did actually

i even picked next year course so that it would as much like house does

i did really well in medical skl so far so dont let people tell u its a bad way to choose oh and i got in four places, i just lied on my PS and said I was interested in helping people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marsha2112)
    Reminds me of people who do law because of Phoenix Wright:love:
    I'm only doing it because of Legally Blonde... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to want to be a doctor when I was little because I watched ER! Gave up that dream though

ReputationRep:
    I am a member of the Scrubs/Holby/House is why i did medicine cult
    yeah

ReputationRep:
    I was going to shadow a few doctors, but I just bought a House boxset instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.