Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I turned 17 in February and started learning the day after my 17th birthday. The first lesson was awful but what can you expect. But by the 2nd (3rd/4th hour) I was on the roads and felt pretty confident driving. After I'd been learning for about a month and a half I bought my own car and went out in it occasionally, although at that point I still wasn't a really good driver and was so nervouse about driving without dual controls. I carried on getting lessons and eventually had 23 hours but from abotu 16 hours onwards I really wanted to quite with my instructor. In the end I did and went out in my own car 3/4 times and with passengers in and felt really confident. Now though, I haven't had a driving lessons for 2 months and haven't been out in my own car for about 3 weeks. The last time I went out in it I had an awkward bit where I just kept stalling at this junction and after that I just didn't want to drive. My theory is in 2 weeks and hopefully I'll pass and then get a new instructor after that but I just feel so nervous about getting in a car again. Once I'm in it I'm usually fine, and I love driving and can't wait to pass but it's just getting myself to get back into a car. Has anybody got any tips or anything?!

ReputationRep:
    once you get back in the car with an instructor your confidence will build up again. I wouldnt suggest getting back into your own car until you have had a few lessons with your new instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, you're just going to have to 'bite the bullet' (so to speak) and do it! Talk to your new instructor and they should be able to advise you/help you...it's what they're there for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    I turned 17 in February and started learning the day after my 17th birthday. The first lesson was awful but what can you expect. But by the 2nd (3rd/4th hour) I was on the roads and felt pretty confident driving. After I'd been learning for about a month and a half I bought my own car and went out in it occasionally, although at that point I still wasn't a really good driver and was so nervouse about driving without dual controls. I carried on getting lessons and eventually had 23 hours but from abotu 16 hours onwards I really wanted to quite with my instructor. In the end I did and went out in my own car 3/4 times and with passengers in and felt really confident. Now though, I haven't had a driving lessons for 2 months and haven't been out in my own car for about 3 weeks. The last time I went out in it I had an awkward bit where I just kept stalling at this junction and after that I just didn't want to drive. My theory is in 2 weeks and hopefully I'll pass and then get a new instructor after that but I just feel so nervous about getting in a car again. Once I'm in it I'm usually fine, and I love driving and can't wait to pass but it's just getting myself to get back into a car. Has anybody got any tips or anything?!
    I sort of know what you are going through. I had to stop my driving lessons for a few weeks as I was in the middle of moving house. I've had about 35 hours of lessons and was confident I was going to put in for my test before I go to university. But when I got back into a car for the first time I lost all my confidence in driving. I think it's nerves which affected me. I found I could do all driving in my head (if you know what I mean) but when I came down to going for my driving lesson's I seemed to forget what to do as the nerves stepped in. I've had a few lessons now and seem to be getting the hang of it again. When I go for a driving lesson now, I don't think about it as it will make me nervous. When you begin to feel nervous try deep breathing and try to keep a calm clear mind.
    Don't worry about it, you will get back into driving.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PunkyFish-x)
    I sort of know what you are going through. I had to stop my driving lessons for a few weeks as I was in the middle of moving house. I've had about 35 hours of lessons and was confident I was going to put in for my test before I go to university. But when I got back into a car for the first time I lost all my confidence in driving. I think it's nerves which affected me. I found I could do all driving in my head (if you know what I mean) but when I came down to going for my driving lesson's I seemed to forget what to do as the nerves stepped in. I've had a few lessons now and seem to be getting the hang of it again. When I go for a driving lesson now, I don't think about it as it will make me nervous. When you begin to feel nervous try deep breathing and try to keep a calm clear mind.
    Don't worry about it, you will get back into driving.
    Hope this helps
    Thankyou
    You're going to Bangor Uni?
    I live near there. Lol

ReputationRep:
    Just get some more lessons and build up your confidence. It is really hard after you've had a long break especially so early on.

I don't really understand why you quit your instructor but if you just didn't like them then get a new one. Some instructors teach in different ways. I had a dreadful time with my first instructor who really shot my confidence by criticising everything i did and after several instructors I found one that suited me as he was very encouraging with positive criticism but not overally scary.

Just get back into it and soon it will become second nature to me. I passed two years ago and even now if I haven't driven for a month or so I feel a little nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    Just get some more lessons and build up your confidence. It is really hard after you've had a long break especially so early on.

I don't really understand why you quit your instructor but if you just didn't like them then get a new one. Some instructors teach in different ways. I had a dreadful time with my first instructor who really shot my confidence by criticising everything i did and after several instructors I found one that suited me as he was very encouraging with positive criticism but not overally scary.

Just get back into it and soon it will become second nature to me. I passed two years ago and even now if I haven't driven for a month or so I feel a little nervous
    After my holiday I'm gonna get a new instructor straight away. My friend reccomended hers to me and I've met him once so might go with him.
    I just felt like after so many lessons he was still doing everything for me which was really annoying cause I knew what I needed to do. He didn't let me deal with incidents myself when I could have.
    Also I'd only done 2 manouveres, left reverse and 3 point turns.
    In a 2 hour lesson I would maybe do two manouvers and waste time driving around which really annoyed me! And also the fact that he insisted on two hours once a week, it was ages between when I was driving so I was really nervous every lesson as I hadn't driven for a week, maybe a week and a half!
    All my friends are passing their tests now, so I really want to get back into it. And I'm neglecting my poor little car too

ReputationRep:
    You need to get back in it

I've had like 100 lessons, probably more.. I was trying to learn whilst at uni, and at home, I had like 4 different instructors.. and each time I got to test standard I had to go back to uni or home etc.

Anyway.. I took my test about 18 months ago.. probably more? I failed, because I was ridiculously nervous and I've never stepped foot in a car again to drive.

I wish I'd have just tried again, but if I fail at something I just give up.. so don't be like me!!

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test in Feb (3rd time) and haven't been in the car much since. I've lost my nerve. I reckon it's because it's really my mum's car and I'm scared of crashing (kinda crashed it once already, but when i was learning).

ReputationRep:
    After my holiday I'm gonna get a new instructor straight away. My friend reccomended hers to me and I've met him once so might go with him.
    I just felt like after so many lessons he was still doing everything for me which was really annoying cause I knew what I needed to do. He didn't let me deal with incidents myself when I could have.
    Also I'd only done 2 manouveres, left reverse and 3 point turns.
    In a 2 hour lesson I would maybe do two manouvers and waste time driving around which really annoyed me! And also the fact that he insisted on two hours once a week, it was ages between when I was driving so I was really nervous every lesson as I hadn't driven for a week, maybe a week and a half!
    All my friends are passing their tests now, so I really want to get back into it. And I'm neglecting my poor little car too
    Yep, sounds similar to mine. Cept mine was worse. I had confidence to begin with but he kept having a go at me and grabbing the wheel from me every time i did the slightest bit wrong. plus i didn't get on with him personally.

I never drove in my own car before I passed (my parents decided extra lessons were cheaper than insurance) but maybe thats why he said only one lesson a week cos he thought u'd drive in between.

But if u had only done two maumouvers after a few months then I would change but I wouldn't criticise them for "making you drive around", that is the point in lessons as you get as much experience as possible being observant and dealing with problems which is far more important than maunouvers. to be honest all I've done since I passed was a three point turn and the occasional bay park (which was never taught to me properly as the later instructors were in Manchester where the exam centre doesn't do bay park). Getting lots of experience of the road is far more important

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou
    You're going to Bangor Uni?
    I live near there. Lol
    Yes I am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellsbells3032)
    Yep, sounds similar to mine. Cept mine was worse. I had confidence to begin with but he kept having a go at me and grabbing the wheel from me every time i did the slightest bit wrong. plus i didn't get on with him personally.

I never drove in my own car before I passed (my parents decided extra lessons were cheaper than insurance) but maybe thats why he said only one lesson a week cos he thought u'd drive in between.
    Mine used to grab the steering wheel from me aswel. It was soooo annoying! Even when I wasn't doing that much wrong and could have easily corrected it myself. He didn't give me the chance to deal with incidents properly.

Apparently the average is 40 with an instructor and 22 hours private practise!

After I get back from holiday though Im gonna hammer it! Loads of lessons!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    You need to get back in it

I've had like 100 lessons, probably more.. I was trying to learn whilst at uni, and at home, I had like 4 different instructors.. and each time I got to test standard I had to go back to uni or home etc.

Anyway.. I took my test about 18 months ago.. probably more? I failed, because I was ridiculously nervous and I've never stepped foot in a car again to drive.

I wish I'd have just tried again, but if I fail at something I just give up.. so don't be like me!!
    Are you gonna try driving again? You might as well try it because you know how to and it will be worth it once you pass.

ReputationRep:
    You worrying about it will make it worse. Bite the bullet and go to a quiet road and just try the basics again. It will be remarkable how quickly you get confident again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.