Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    £550, 20 year old female as named driver with dad on the policy on a 53 plated megane 1.6, with 2 years ncb... that may go up soon though, if they can't get any money out of the uninsured driver who wrote my car off in may.
    aww i found out today that someone has bought my written off car to do it up. i thought someone might. it had only done 12k, 05 plate. although now it will always be a tainted cat c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    you need to select a few cars with varied engine sizes and models.
    you need to select cars that have an equivalent power to weight ratio to the above
    you need a group of people with varied ages and ncb's and locations across the UK and get them to run these quotes through for the above.
    Additonal - have a generic excess, no named drivers and see what the quotes are

Mean I've just ran through a quote on a new Focus RS (300bhp) with 5 years ncb, made my age 27(i'm not stating my correct age!), north east UK and cost = £650

Edit:
    I paid £148 (as I remember) for KA 1.3 57reg, 5 years ncb, approx age 27
    My KA is year and half years old, so looking to get rid of it in the next 14 months. But what to get, theres still rumours of the KA ST(to replace sportka, rumoured 0-60 to be 7secs), new Fiesta ST (to rival the Clio cup 200).... also Ford is rumoured to be bring back the Puma and they are re-designing the Focus!
    I'll have your KA lol.

ReputationRep:
    Age- 21
    Years driving- 3 and a half
    NCB- 1
    Car insured on- 56 plate 1.4 VW Fox

Price - £430 (fully comp)

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone getting such low quotes? The lowest i've had is £1,400 TPFT.
    I've had my full UK license since May, but as of yet I have no car or insurance due to lack of money atm.

Btw i'm 18 and female... Why is it so high? I only want my car to get to uni and work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    No way. 17 year old male 1.2 16vale 04 plate corsa. £1167. Own name fully comp.

If you're paying over £1200, you fail at searching for prices.
    You must be awfully lucky and live in well, heaven? Nobody I know has quotes anywhere near that, most are lucky to get that TPFT as a male. Mine is much less but due to previously stated reasons (classic etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjybh)
    As of two weeks time...

Years Driving: 0
    NCB: 0
    Car: 1976 MG Midget 1500
    Price: £580
    Can I ask who you're insured with?
    I ask because we have the same car broken down in our garage. My parents were going to fix it up and have it as a fun car for us all to use but haven't done because of the cost to insure it for me and my brother. They were expecting thousands..

EDIT: I forgot to answer the thread.
    Years of driving: 1.5
    Car: 1.1 Fiat Panda
    Cost: £600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellokte)
    How is everyone getting such low quotes? The lowest i've had is £1,400 TPFT.
    I've had my full UK license since May, but as of yet I have no car or insurance due to lack of money atm.

Btw i'm 18 and female... Why is it so high? I only want my car to get to uni and work.
    Area also counts along with crime rate etc. Best thing to do is try different companies. Diamond for one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    You must be awfully lucky and live in well, heaven? Nobody I know has quotes anywhere near that, most are lucky to get that TPFT as a male. Mine is much less but due to previously stated reasons (classic etc)
    Just shopped absolutely everywhere, added old people as named drivers. About it. Yeah my post code isnt too bad, but unless you're in a massive city (manc/london) shouldnt increase it too much.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've just done quite well in renewing my car insurance.

Went from (last year)

Years driving: Few months
    Car: '98 Fiesta Ghia
    Cost: £1500 TPFT

TO (now);

NCB: 1 year
    Years driving: 1 year
    Car: Same
    Cost: £720 fully comp.

Not bad eh?

ReputationRep:
    At time of taking insurance out-

Years driving: Less than one.
    NCB: None
    Car insured on: Y reg renault clio (sport edition)
    Price: £2200 Fully Comp

ReputationRep:

Years driving: 14 (8 legally)

NCB: 5 years ncb

Car insured: Currently a Passat 1.8 20V Turbo, remapped Audi TT ECU, FMIC, K04-15 turbo unit, forged pistons etc... Approx 260bhp since latest remap and FMIC fitted... Enough for fwd car...

Cost: £449.31 fc in good area...

Cars i've just sold below and more about my "old mans" Passat at the bottom....

Toy number one being my Midnight Purple R33 GTR V-Spec 442.6BHP @ the wheels, 0-60 in 4.1 secs and standing 1/4 mile in 10.806 secs @ Santa Pod... Top speed (air strip tested) 179.1mph due to gearing... Insurance - £3027.11 fully comp 5 years ncb in good area.

Toy number two being 200sx S14A Do-Luck ex demo car. Simular spec.... Over 400 ponies at the arse end, 0-60 around 4.5 secs with LSD, Standing 1/4 mile in 11.931 secs @ JAE.... Top speed (air strip tested) 181.3mph - faster than Skyline i know but Nismo 6 speed box and long ratio 6th fitted....
    Insurance £1017.53 fully comp, same ncb etc...

My new and much slower car **crys**...

VW Passat 1.8 20V Turbo Sport with uprated ECU - chipped (From Audi TT - 225bhp), HKS induction kit custom engineered fitting kit (professional), FMIC, Bailey dump valve (NOT set on air to atmosphere because it would sound f-ing stupid on a passat!), forged pistons fitted by me (came with car) and a K04-15 Turbo upgrade - direct fit... Probably around 260bhp now at a guess... Top speed 155mph roughly - not limited anymore though! (i'll test it properly soon)...
    Insurance £449.31 fully comp, 5 yrs ncb etc....

I'm going to change much of the engine back to standard when i move down for uni anyway because my insurance want an extra £480 as it is!!!!! F-ing hideous!!! Just keep a few little mods to help it out a bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatone)
    Can I ask who you're insured with?
    I ask because we have the same car broken down in our garage. My parents were going to fix it up and have it as a fun car for us all to use but haven't done because of the cost to insure it for me and my brother. They were expecting thousands..

EDIT: I forgot to answer the thread.
    Years of driving: 1.5
    Car: 1.1 Fiat Panda
    Cost: £600
    Hi,

I (will be, in a month or so!) insured with Peter D James - Link

The quote was for my own policy TPFT, and when I asked for a quote on a Triumph Spitfire they came up with the same price of £580. Just mention down the phone that you will be a member of the MG Owners Club - it only costs £30ish a year and you get some magazines (yay!) but a hefty discount off the quote.

Hope this helps and good luck! If your parents don't want it anymore...get in touch, I'm currently on the lookout for a cheap-ish one for myself!

ReputationRep:
    Car: 2001 VW Golf 1.4
    Years Driving: 9 months
    Price: £2800
    No NCB as yet

priced up a renewal quote so new details (new car):
    1 years NCB
    1 years driving experience
    Car: VW Golf 1.6 modified
    Price: £1950!!

ReputationRep:
    Car: VW Beetle
    Last insurance renewal: £234 TPFT, with me as the only driver.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how much I should expect to pay as a 17 year old male named driver on a 02 Ford Ka 1.3?

I tried confused.com but it was still throwing up quotes of £1400 even though i'm the 3rd driver and my Mum and Dad have 20 years no claims each

My postcode rating is E* so basicly the same as London

ReputationRep:
    17 male
    silver nissan micra k11 01
    nbc 0
    licence 0 months
    900 pounds upfront then 81pounds a month
    No upfront payment and 56 a month with passplus
    Morethan insurance

ReputationRep:
    £88.20 PA, policy holder, fully comp, no restriction on mileage and European recovery. Yup.

2 years
    1934 Austin 7

Also on various others as a named driver, but this is the only one on which I currently have a policy in my own name.

ReputationRep:
    Newer =/= better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    No way insurance on a 2001 car at 17 wouldnt be over £1200 even for a guy. (Depending on engine ofc)
    My boyfriends insurance is over 2k on a 1999 car and hes been driving for a year now (maybe area has something to do with it?) In fact the cheapest insurance of any of my friends is £1500 and hes got a tracker and stuff on his car and agreements to not drive after a certain time to get it that cheap. Cant really understand why our insurnace is so high in comparson? Any ideas?? The insurance quote was as a named driver and not on my parents policy if that makes a difference?

ReputationRep:
    Age 20
    Driving 3 years
    1 year NCD

My renewal quote is £1674, TPFT

Cheapest I have seen is £1100

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 26, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.