The Student Room Group

Nursing 2010 applicants

Scroll to see replies

angrychemist
I applied on the 20th Nov and havnt heard anything other than acknowledgements, Am I looking at the new year before I hear anything about rejections/interviews?

AC

It depends on the University. For one university I got 6 days notice before my interview, but with another university I got a whole months notice. Others gave me between 2-3 weeks.
And if you were to get rejected before interview your personal statement must be very concerning.

What unis have you applied to? Good luck!
rachelb8906
:smile:
Good luck! You'll be fine :smile:
Make sure you have an up to date health issue to talk about...uni's seem to love that question!

xxxx

You quoted me the other day in that sensitive H & R thread but it was deleted...can you remember what you put (it's really bugging me ha)? :smile:
I have a place at Hull uni Sept 2010 Adult nursing!!!!
~curlywurly~

Thats brilliant! well done!

Thats whats im hoping for, can i ask when did you submit your application?

Well done again!

AC
Cannonball
You quoted me the other day in that sensitive H & R thread but it was deleted...can you remember what you put (it's really bugging me ha)? :smile:

I think it was something about how i was getting sick of all those types of posts...there was tons that day! dunno why it got deleted though, it wasnt bad.....
lol :smile:
~curlywurly~

Aww wow congrats! that great news!
xxx
ashley090
Hi!
My friend has just applied for that course and I decided to do a bit of research for her lol. If you don't mind me asking :-
What were your predicted grades?
When did you apply?
Did you have an interview?

Ash

Hi Ash,

I did my alevels a few years back..and didnt go into it straight from college, so I applied as a mature student over the age of 21.
But i think the grades you need are CCC

I applied january 2009, i intially applied for the september 2009 intake, but it got filled up.

And yea i did have an interview, below is some info about the interview that was given on the student nurse forum, which helped me.

------------ Cardiff Uni Interview Info ------------------

Hey all went to the interview day today and thought I would give you a bit of info as I was able to write some quick notes on a piece of paper after I completed my essay.

The day all in all went really quick, but it was extremely boring! Oh and if you have an interview on a Saturday the first thing I suggest you bring is a packed lunch! No food services unless you fancy a bourbon and a can of grapefruit juice for £1.

Applicants were split into 2 groups, one group had interviews first, exams in the afternoon. Second group was the other way around. There were people there from all branches except midwifery. Mostly adult nursing. I should mention that they have had well over 6,000 applications this year and very much so selective in who they were picking for the interview/selection day so I myself count myself very lucky to be able to have just attended and so should anyone else here! You've come this far!

In regards to the individual interview - Don't panic! I was grilled quite a bit but prior to the interview one of the interviewers calmed me down and made me feel at ease and then BAM pressure, haha. However, despite the questions being quite mind-crunching they gave you plenty of opportunity to answer yourself and have a general chat. One of the Interviewers was a a nurse @ the Heath and the other was a lecturer at the University. I think the second room where interviews were taking place was held by the Admissions tutor who is a guy and another nurse. They mostly interviewed non-adult branch applicants but did interview a few adult too. In regards to my interview, they asked me alot of questions relevant to my personal statement such as, what sort of attributes can I bring to nursing, what skills can I transfer from my work as a HCA, what is the difference between being a HCA and being a Student Nurse. I can't come here and say to you all, that everyone is going to get the same questions, people I knew after my interview had different questions that the interviewing panel made up based on your personal statement. So my best advice to ya'll is to revise your personal statement, and think of possible questions they may ask you. You should note that one question they will ask everyone is what do you think you will study as part of the programme and what it entails. So worth doing your revision for that! A tip in revising that question on the day is the read through your student info book they give you when you register in the morning, it has the structure of the placements etc so covers most of that question, but worth finding out and throwing in what subjects you think they teach such as ethics, clinical science, psychology and sociology etc.

As for the exams, the maths exam was a bit up and down. There were really easy questions on the paper such as 40 x 2 or divided by 2. The multiplications and divisions got a little bit harder as it went on. Fractions all I can say is JESUS CHRIST. I had not prepared whatsoever and totally botched that section up. Worth revising top-heavy fractions and converting them into numbers and converting them into decimals and multiplying them, etc. Practice your division. Long division is essential! One question was 1000 ÷ 8 now I know that might be the easiest question for some people but it smacked me in the face like a 10-tonne lorry and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure it out! Haha! The last section of the paper is units. They wrote a key at the top of this section to the units, such as 1gram = 1000mg etc so not to worry and no need to revise them off by heart, so don't worry everyone should absolutely fly through that! Example questions would be, what would 2g be in mg etc. It would be beneficial though to revise converting decimal units into other units. I think on question was calculate 0.065litres into ml. And so on, so forth.

For the maths exam you get a resit if you get a good mark in your interview and essay, so as long as you nail your essay and do well in your interview which shouldent be too hard you may be invited back for a resit in the maths, it's up to the university. I should mention there is no definitive pass or fail in the essay. You just get marks for grammar, spelling, presentation, content etc. You can make notes. I made notes on the back of the paper and then scribbled them out and that was fine with them.

As for the essay in general. Easy peasy. The first group who did their exam first were give a question out of six. They had question 1 and we had question 4. I wrote about 2 pages. I wrote down the questions.

1. Discuss what has motivated you to become a nurse
2. Discuss the personal and professional qualities that in your opinion, are required to make a person a safe & competant Nurse
3. Discuss the skills you have that will be appropriate in a Nursing setting
4. Describe the role of a nursing student on a clinical placement at a hospital ward
5. Describe the structure & content of the Bachelor of Nursing programme for which you have applied.
6. Discuss the reasons for choosing the branch of Nursing to which you have applied.

I really hope this helps!
angrychemist
Thats brilliant! well done!

Thats whats im hoping for, can i ask when did you submit your application?

Well done again!

AC

Thank you.

Are you Hoping to get in at Hull? I submitted my UCAS form on the 7th September, heard back 2 weeks later and had my interview on 28th October. The interview was very relaxed and informal.
Reply 208
WelshLass09
Hi Ash,

I did my alevels a few years back..and didnt go into it straight from college, so I applied as a mature student over the age of 21.
But i think the grades you need are CCC

I applied january 2009, i intially applied for the september 2009 intake, but it got filled up.

And yea i did have an interview, below is some info about the interview that was given on the student nurse forum, which helped me.

------------ Cardiff Uni Interview Info ------------------

Hey all went to the interview day today and thought I would give you a bit of info as I was able to write some quick notes on a piece of paper after I completed my essay.

The day all in all went really quick, but it was extremely boring! Oh and if you have an interview on a Saturday the first thing I suggest you bring is a packed lunch! No food services unless you fancy a bourbon and a can of grapefruit juice for £1.

Applicants were split into 2 groups, one group had interviews first, exams in the afternoon. Second group was the other way around. There were people there from all branches except midwifery. Mostly adult nursing. I should mention that they have had well over 6,000 applications this year and very much so selective in who they were picking for the interview/selection day so I myself count myself very lucky to be able to have just attended and so should anyone else here! You've come this far!

In regards to the individual interview - Don't panic! I was grilled quite a bit but prior to the interview one of the interviewers calmed me down and made me feel at ease and then BAM pressure, haha. However, despite the questions being quite mind-crunching they gave you plenty of opportunity to answer yourself and have a general chat. One of the Interviewers was a a nurse @ the Heath and the other was a lecturer at the University. I think the second room where interviews were taking place was held by the Admissions tutor who is a guy and another nurse. They mostly interviewed non-adult branch applicants but did interview a few adult too. In regards to my interview, they asked me alot of questions relevant to my personal statement such as, what sort of attributes can I bring to nursing, what skills can I transfer from my work as a HCA, what is the difference between being a HCA and being a Student Nurse. I can't come here and say to you all, that everyone is going to get the same questions, people I knew after my interview had different questions that the interviewing panel made up based on your personal statement. So my best advice to ya'll is to revise your personal statement, and think of possible questions they may ask you. You should note that one question they will ask everyone is what do you think you will study as part of the programme and what it entails. So worth doing your revision for that! A tip in revising that question on the day is the read through your student info book they give you when you register in the morning, it has the structure of the placements etc so covers most of that question, but worth finding out and throwing in what subjects you think they teach such as ethics, clinical science, psychology and sociology etc.

As for the exams, the maths exam was a bit up and down. There were really easy questions on the paper such as 40 x 2 or divided by 2. The multiplications and divisions got a little bit harder as it went on. Fractions all I can say is JESUS CHRIST. I had not prepared whatsoever and totally botched that section up. Worth revising top-heavy fractions and converting them into numbers and converting them into decimals and multiplying them, etc. Practice your division. Long division is essential! One question was 1000 ÷ 8 now I know that might be the easiest question for some people but it smacked me in the face like a 10-tonne lorry and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure it out! Haha! The last section of the paper is units. They wrote a key at the top of this section to the units, such as 1gram = 1000mg etc so not to worry and no need to revise them off by heart, so don't worry everyone should absolutely fly through that! Example questions would be, what would 2g be in mg etc. It would be beneficial though to revise converting decimal units into other units. I think on question was calculate 0.065litres into ml. And so on, so forth.

For the maths exam you get a resit if you get a good mark in your interview and essay, so as long as you nail your essay and do well in your interview which shouldent be too hard you may be invited back for a resit in the maths, it's up to the university. I should mention there is no definitive pass or fail in the essay. You just get marks for grammar, spelling, presentation, content etc. You can make notes. I made notes on the back of the paper and then scribbled them out and that was fine with them.

As for the essay in general. Easy peasy. The first group who did their exam first were give a question out of six. They had question 1 and we had question 4. I wrote about 2 pages. I wrote down the questions.

1. Discuss what has motivated you to become a nurse
2. Discuss the personal and professional qualities that in your opinion, are required to make a person a safe & competant Nurse
3. Discuss the skills you have that will be appropriate in a Nursing setting
4. Describe the role of a nursing student on a clinical placement at a hospital ward
5. Describe the structure & content of the Bachelor of Nursing programme for which you have applied.
6. Discuss the reasons for choosing the branch of Nursing to which you have applied.

I really hope this helps!

Thankyou EVER so much!! That was incredibly helpful. I tried to rep (good rep) you but then realised that I'd already given one out today. I will try to remember to do it though. :yes: Thanks again
~curlywurly~
Thank you.

Are you Hoping to get in at Hull? I submitted my UCAS form on the 7th September, heard back 2 weeks later and had my interview on 28th October. The interview was very relaxed and informal.

Yes Hull is definetly my first choice, sent my form off on 20th Nov so will be three weeks on friday, would really like my interview before christmass. Can I ask if your currently working in care?. Im starting as a HCA in the new year, currently working in ward catering in a hospital.

And what was the english test like, im really quite worried about it.

Thank you for your help and congrats again!

AC
Reply 210
Hey everyone, I'm applying for Children's nursing diploma at Salford, Huddersfield, Bradford, York and Sheffield Hallam.
I am so nervous, I've got acknowledgment emails from Bradford, York and Hudds.
Good luck everyone.
Reply 211
TinyTeeps
Hi all,

How scary is all this UCAS stuff???

Im hoping to become a 'mature' student doing a degree adult nursing at one of the following:

UCLAN - 2nd choice
Edge Hill - 1st choice
Manchester Met
Salford
Liverpool John Moores

I have 2 A-levels at D & E, a Business HND and an Advanced Certificate (level 5) in Market and Social Research.

I am 26 and have been working full time since i left college (doing my other qualifications part-time). ALthough i have no experience in nursing what do you think my chances are??? I dont have a clue and hate waiting!!!!

xx

Hi, I'll be a 'mature' student too, I'll be 23 in my first year. I've been assured that universities look favourably on mature students, they have more life and work experience which will benefit both the individual and others. I'm sure you'll be fine!
I have no nursing experience either, I've done mostly retail and administration work since leaving school. But it is a life-long ambition to do nursing, I hope that came through on my PS...

The whole thing is terrifying, my heart does a flip every time I log in to Track! :woo:
angrychemist
Yes Hull is definetly my first choice, sent my form off on 20th Nov so will be three weeks on friday, would really like my interview before christmass. Can I ask if your currently working in care?. Im starting as a HCA in the new year, currently working in ward catering in a hospital.

And what was the english test like, im really quite worried about it.

Thank you for your help and congrats again!

AC

Yes i currently work in a residential home for people with LD. It shouldn't be too long until you hear now.

There is no english test, well we didn't have one and there were both degree and diploma applicants there.

This is what happened a the interview- I had to be there at 9. We a started off with the admin ladies who check all our proof of identity and qualifications, we then had our individual interviews, and then we had a tour of the clinical building and a talk on the course. It was the other way round for people who had to be there at 11.

If you need any more info feel free to ask :yes:
Hey guys I have decided that Nottingham will be my firm!!!
i'm sooo excited!!
Cannonball
Hey guys I have decided that Nottingham will be my firm!!!
i'm sooo excited!!

Congrats! Thats great news that youve decided!
xxx
rachelb8906
Congrats! Thats great news that youve decided!
xxx

Thanks
Northumbria will be my insurance xxx
Reply 216
sarahfarmer12
oh different day to me then :frown:
let me know how it goes please :smile:
good luck! x

Hey, Arrived at 10:40 and walked forward and turned right into the reception waiting area. There was already about 15 people in there waiting. We were all taken upstairs at 11, and seated in a room infront on a screen. We watched a power point which last about 40 minutes that went through accomodation, child care, NHS burseries ect. Then a man came in and asked if anyone had any mental or physical disabilities and if so to declare them so they can get extra support. Then a sheet was sent round and we had to write our names on so they could check who was here. After that we had to fill out a questionairre which had 5 questions but I can not remember them atall. This was just so they could get to know you as a person better. Then we could leave after this, so overall it lasted around an hour and a half. They didn't ask to see and qualiications, or ID so don't worry about that lol. My interview was on Monday, And I should find out by Friday whether I have a place through ucas.

Hope this helps but I can't remember if you had yours today or not, Sorry. If so how did it go? It was the easiest thing ever, nothing like any other interviews you will go to! I'm so nervous, Just hoping my personal statement is good now! xx
I got in!

He said I scored the highest out of thirty on the spoken questions that he's ever given! 28/30!
nicole.17
Hey, Arrived at 10:40 and walked forward and turned right into the reception waiting area. There was already about 15 people in there waiting. We were all taken upstairs at 11, and seated in a room infront on a screen. We watched a power point which last about 40 minutes that went through accomodation, child care, NHS burseries ect. Then a man came in and asked if anyone had any mental or physical disabilities and if so to declare them so they can get extra support. Then a sheet was sent round and we had to write our names on so they could check who was here. After that we had to fill out a questionairre which had 5 questions but I can not remember them atall. This was just so they could get to know you as a person better. Then we could leave after this, so overall it lasted around an hour and a half. They didn't ask to see and qualiications, or ID so don't worry about that lol. My interview was on Monday, And I should find out by Friday whether I have a place through ucas.

Hope this helps but I can't remember if you had yours today or not, Sorry. If so how did it go? It was the easiest thing ever, nothing like any other interviews you will go to! I'm so nervous, Just hoping my personal statement is good now! xx

mine was almost the same, but instead of a questionnaire, we had a group discussion. goodluck, we don't find out until the end of next week :frown: i really like it there though so hope its good enough aswell. let me know if you get a place xxxx
MadgeMania
I got in!

He said I scored the highest out of thirty on the spoken questions that he's ever given! 28/30!

OMG congrats! thats great news!

You must be so excited! I still am and Ive had my offer over a week now!
xxx

Quick Reply

Latest