Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My occupational health has been cleared :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nursing4eva)
    It was on the 2nd of December and I heard on the 15th so quite soon (I applied on the 26th October btw).

x
    I also got a place at kings. I was at the same interview as you too. Is this your first choice and what branch did you apply to do? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rach189)
    I also got a place at kings. I was at the same interview as you too. Is this your first choice and what branch did you apply to do? xx
    congratulations all these possible new kings nurseys, i like

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool! I applied for the adult Bsc and have already accepted it my top choice!! How about you??

Also has anyone here got any ideas on the best accommodation for nurses at King's because the pack came through this morning and I should probably get thinking
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charleebobs)
    I would have thought that you would get them done by Occupational Health once you've started. Thats what happened with me.

we had our hep b jabs during the course

ReputationRep:
    got offers from Salford for the diploma and degree courses, sooooooooo pleased its made my christmas!!!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY

ReputationRep:
    It was on the 2nd of December and I heard on the 15th so quite soon (I applied on the 26th October btw). I'm sure you'll hear soon, when was your interview?

x
    Hey, sorry didn't realise you wrote back! I got into Kings and it's my first choice so wwwooo!!! Is Kings your firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannonball)
    My occupational health has been cleared :woo:

Wahey!

I'm a bit worried about it really. Did you have to go for an appointment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Wahey!

I'm a bit worried about it really. Did you have to go for an appointment?
    Yes, I had to go to two altogether (2 diff unis).

feel free to ignore, what is it that you're worried about? I may be able to ease your mind
    There's very little that would cause you not to be cleared - and most of those in that section are severe psychiatric problems.

ReputationRep:

feel free to ignore, what is it that you're worried about? I may be able to ease your mind
    There's very little that would cause you not to be cleared - and most of those in that section are severe psychiatric problems.
    Hi
    Ive got an offer at a Uni to study adult branch
    I used to self harm, the last episode being 7 years ago
    will this be a problem? i dont do it anymore now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixxxy09)
    Hi
    Ive got an offer at a Uni to study adult branch
    I used to self harm, the last episode being 7 years ago
    will this be a problem? i dont do it anymore now.
    Should be fine, (bear in mind I don't work at occupational health) the things I was thinking of were things like Bi Polar etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool! I applied for the adult Bsc and have already accepted it my top choice!! How about you??

Also has anyone here got any ideas on the best accommodation for nurses at King's because the pack came through this morning and I should probably get thinking
    xx
    Hi ive applied for the same as you and its my first choice aswell.

For the accomodation I think ill choose great dover street cause when we were getting that tour on the selection day, thats the accomodation our guide told us to pick. He did also say though that stamford street were good ones to have but there mainly for nurses and midwifes and you may get a bit fed up of only living with people you work with. At least with great dover street you'll get to meet other students. xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Hope u are doing fine.. And good to know that you are joining here soon. Good luck..

I write this mail to you to know if you could help me.Have you applied for accomodation?? Would you be interested to live in the Raleigh park?
    http://www.derwentstudents.com/stude...y=Raleigh_Park

If so please do tell me. I have certain health issues and I would like to move out of this place. But I cant do so witout a replacement. If so youcould help me by quoting my name as reference while you move in. thats d only help i need!!

ReputationRep:

well i've got an appointment with the uni on the 13th Jan...

What i'm worried about is; I've got a tumour in the muscle of my wrist, recently had a operation on it ( they did a 2nd biopsy but took quite a few samples this time )
    I've had an appointment through from the hospital on the 13th Jan aswel! I think they will tell me my results! but i'm gonna have to change it which will probably be after the OH appoint. so I can't really tell them much about it! I just hope it doesn't affect my place!

ReputationRep:
    Hi ive applied for the same as you and its my first choice aswell.

For the accomodation I think ill choose great dover street cause when we were getting that tour on the selection day, thats the accomodation our guide told us to pick. He did also say though that stamford street were good ones to have but there mainly for nurses and midwifes and you may get a bit fed up of only living with people you work with. At least with great dover street you'll get to meet other students. xxxxxx
    great dover street apartments, a lot of the nurses still end up being put together. all of the nurses that i know who live there are in flats with other nurses anyway.

its actually good, to start with before i went i wanted to be with people off other courses, then when i got there i live in a flat of 9 (stamford street) and 8 of us are nurses and it works so much better. it meant we already knew people when we started going to lectures, but it doesn't stop us making new friends because in our smaller group classes we're not all together, we all get on amazingly well, mainly due to the fact i think that we have something so big in common and we can talk about that.

we still have met and made friends with other people in neighbouring apartments, both nurses and other courses but i know a lot of people who either got accommodation in the 2nd round or something and so didn't get put with other nurses and they don't really get on with many of their flatmates whereas right from the start our flat has been like a little family or a big family i guess since theres a lot of us haha!!

and yeah gdsa are good, stamford street are basically exactly the same, except at waterloo instead of guys, tbh i think its pretty much the same travelling wise for whichever one of those two you live in, because we mainly have lectures at waterloo campus which obviously means ssa are over the road, gdsa are about a 20 min walk or a 5 min bus ride, but then when we have skills session and the odd other lecture at guys campus, then obviously thats reversed. we do also have the odd lecture at st thomas's lecture theatre which means a 15 min walk for ssa people and about a 40 min one for gdsa people or getting on a tube or bus and then walking a bit too so i think either one is good

ReputationRep:

xx
    heyyy, in the above post i put the pros and cons of gdsa and ssa as best i can, i live in ssa and have plenty of friends in gdsa so any other questions feel free to ask just thought i'd quote you so that you definitely saw it

ReputationRep:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been worried about the health screening too.
    Is there a physical examination too, as in weight, height, BP, etc.?
    I'm in the recovery stages of an eating disorder, my BMI is on the low-side of normal, I'm scared they're going to turn me away because I'm not 'healthy' enough
    I'm sure I could get my GP to vouch for me that all is getting better, but it's still a worry - I understand they have to be really careful, but it would devastate me if I lost a place at uni because of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer241)
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been worried about the health screening too.
    I'm in the recovery stages of an eating disorder, my BMI is on the low-side of normal, I'm scared they're going to turn me away because I'm not 'healthy' enough
    I'm sure I could get my GP to vouch for me that all is getting better, but it's still a worry - I understand they have to be really careful, but it would devastate me if I lost a place at uni because of it!
    at my uni they did ask for height and weight and worked out our bmi's to check them, mainly it is checking your vaccination records, however, i do have to warn you that i know someone on a nursing course who is pretty much certainly going to have to leave in the new year. they are also in the recovery stages of an eating disorder and have had a lot of stress from a frankly quite unhelpful and unsympathetic occupational health dept (i can only hope that your uni's is better than theirs) who refused to allow them onto placement as they felt they could not be sure that they had the coping strategies to deal with the stress of the course. the main thing that has stressed them lately, is this refusal! nothing else! anyway, they made them call their psychiatrist and ask for a report on whether they think they can cope and their psychiatrist who has never been particularly helpful has decided to not support their application. this means that this person is probably going to have to defer for a year to sort it out, or drop out altogether. either way not good. so just a word of warning, speak to whatever health professionals have been helping you through this and be sure that if it comes to it, they will be willing to support your application, otherwise you could have problems.

i hope everything is ok though maybe give the uni a ring and ask to speak privately with someone to do with OH and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer241)
    No I don't mind

They asked for my height and weight but they didn't take my BP or anything - I believe those are the kind of things they do at the start of the course.

It's perfectly understandable that you're concerned
    As long as you are better you'll be fine -
    the only reason OH is much stricter now - especially with psychiatric disorders - is because of that Nurse (can't remember her name) who went around overdosing her patients on purpose. But I believe she was BiPolar.

Because of your condition they may do the phsyical checks at the app. but again, as long as your doctor can say that you are mentally fit you will be fine

You may have to see OH more than normal throughout the course, but is just to check you're ok

it depends on your doctor
    but be honest with yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    well i've got an appointment with the uni on the 13th Jan...

What i'm worried about is; I've got a tumour in the muscle of my wrist, recently had a operation on it ( they did a 2nd biopsy but took quite a few samples this time )
    I've had an appointment through from the hospital on the 13th Jan aswel! I think they will tell me my results! but i'm gonna have to change it which will probably be after the OH appoint. so I can't really tell them much about it! I just hope it doesn't affect my place!
    i'm pretty sure you'll be fine
    there's a girl on an adult nursing course who had chronic stomach pains

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.