Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, I have a few questions:

1) Is it in some way possible to store personal belongings at your college over the holidays (e.g. TV, heavy books and so on) – or do I have to bring them with me every time I go back to Denmark? I’m going to live at Churchill College if that makes any difference (which I guess it does).

2) What is covered by the so-called “maintenance fee”? – Accommodation?

3) It seems that we’ll only have to stay at our colleges during full term (plus maybe a few days in each end). Basically, this means that we have 5-6 weeks of Christmas holiday and Easter holiday (not to mention a very long summer holiday :yes: ) – it just seems unreasonable. So, I'd like to know: how much work are we expected to do over the holidays, and are all of the exams placed within full Easter term? Again - if it makes any difference - I’m going to be a natsci.

I hope you can help. Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    maintenance fee - I think that means that you must prove you have enough money to pay for any expenses other than the university tuition. Living costs, food, books and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Winston)
    3) It seems that we’ll only have to stay at our colleges during full term (plus maybe a few days in each end). Basically, this means that we have 5-6 weeks of Christmas holiday and Easter holiday (not to mention a very long summer holiday :yes: ) – it just seems unreasonable. So, I'd like to know: how much work are we expected to do over the holidays, and are all of the exams placed within full Easter term? Again - if it makes any difference - I’m going to be a natsci.
    The exact work you're expected to do would be college-dependent, but what was said to me when I first started last year was that the vacation is just that - when we vacate our college rooms, not a holiday! There is slightly more truth to that statement than I would like, really. And yes, all exams are in Easter term if you're a NatSci.

ReputationRep:
    Storage- again, college dependent. Usually colleges have a storage room where you can leave things over the vacations. As an international student, I think there are fewer or no limits on how much you're allowed to leave. My college (Emmanuel) allows UK students to leave up to 3 boxes/0.4 cubic metres of stuff, but has no limit for international students. Also, depending on where/how nice your room is, you MAY be allowed to leave some things in your room- also, your college may give you as an international student more freedom over how early you can arrive/how late you can stay, due to having to book flights.

As a NatSci, I can tell you that you will be expected to study over the Christmas and Easter vacations- especially the Easter one, as this is when you're expected to do a lot of your revision. Therefore, you may want to take at least some of your books home with you!

Finally, you mention a TV- you do know that you'll need a TV license if you have a TV in your room, right?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    And you really really wont have time to watch all that much tv. Colleges have TV rooms, so it really isnt worth bringing one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexG55)
    Finally, you mention a TV- you do know that you'll need a TV license if you have a TV in your room, right?
    Not necessarily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Not necessarily
    If it's large enough to be a problem moving, it's probably not powered by its own internal batteries. To clarify to the OP, the license is only necessary if you're using the TV to pick up broadcast TV channels, not if you're only using it for DVDs or a games console. If you're planning on using it only to watch TV I'd really think twice before bringing one as there will be communal ones. People also tend to use catch-up services (eg. iPlayer, 4oD) as this way you can watch stuff when you feel like it / have time!

Vacations: You wait until term time... for science students it tends to start off quite relaxed (in Michaelmas anyway) as you haven't been taught enough for them to start asking much of you yet. But by the end of term you will be behind in supervisions and you will end up with a pile of work (several days' worth) of stuff which you should have done in termtime and will have to do in the vacation. And then there's the special vacation work they'll set.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    not necessarily...
    yes, necessarily...

but as someone else pointed out, unless you are avid/obsessed, there's no point in bringing a tv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    yes, necessarily...
    umm, no, not necessarily.

I could name a good few reasons for having a TV which doesnt need a license.

ReputationRep:
    ok, my bad, i miss remembered the original post actually mentioning watching tv, which looking back on it it doesn't, and, no, you don't need it for (e.g.) playing ps2, but if actually want to get live tv, you do.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers. So, does anyone know when international students are supposed to pay the tuition fee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Winston)
    Thanks for the answers. So, does anyone know when international students are supposed to pay the tuition fee?
    I think you get a bill part-way through Michaelmas term, and you are expected to pay your college. I have a small amount of experience of this as in my second year I didn't realise tuition fees increased every year and only took out a student loan for the same as in my first year, meaning I got sent a bill for the remainder (£70) at the same time as all the international students got their bills for £lots.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.