The Student Room Group

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1

Poll

Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)

6th Years and Leavers "Chat Thread #1" Thread

Talk about anything concerning 5th/6th year, UCAS, College and University requirements and offers, Prefect/Head boy duties, Essay and NAB deadlines and general discussion about Highers/Advanced Highers + Chat Thread
:ninja:
Previous Legendary thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=958659

Scroll to see replies

:hello:

I'm confused.
Reply 2
i quite like this idea :smile: not as much as an actual common room, but this is original. well done ape!
Reply 3
Ohhh good idea :wink:

Ok, someone explain to me...how exactly do you write an essay at higher level? :lolwut:
Reply 4
do you mean higher english?
Reply 5
Oh yeah, :mmm: AT LEAST I DIDN'T COUNT 5 AS OR ANYTHING YA KNOW? COUGHRAPIDFIRECOUGH.

English. I was thinking about using the ole' JPEE (join, point, evidence & evaluation) method, but I don't think it would be good enough for Higher :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Cool thread :bl:
Reply 7
'Ello there.
Are 4th years allowed in also or are they banished? What about ex-6th years? :smile:
Reply 8
LuhLah
Oh yeah, :mmm: AT LEAST I DIDN'T COUNT 5 AS OR ANYTHING YA KNOW? COUGHRAPIDFIRECOUGH.

English. I was thinking about using the ole' JPEE (join, point, evidence & evaluation) method, but I don't think it would be good enough for Higher :s-smilie:

Do you now what texts you are studying? I could try find a few of my old essays to scan in for you to see, if you're intrested.
LuhLah

Well you're wrong, that's ALL you have to do for higher.
Oooh I like the virtual common room idea :biggrin:
Reply 11
Great idea!

I'm a prefect! I get a special tie and badge which makes me feel cool. (:
Reply 12
Meteorshower
Well you're wrong, that's ALL you have to do for higher.

largely, this is pretty much right. although you don't have to follow a rigid structure, but many people find it a lot easier. sometimes it's nice to break the pattern a little and show a little more creativity. i could send you an old essay or 2 if you like?
Reply 13
Ape Gone Insane
What section/module of English?

In personal study, that's what you use. Point, evidence and evaluation and to be that little bit clever you join each paragraphs by using linking functions..sort of let the essay flow. Be brief but make sure you are answering the question and providing a good background of the novel. You are proving a point.

Ah right, so it would be like:

Whilst the author uses the big brother to symbolise the dangers of totalitarianism, he also uses the telescreens to symbolise the dangers of totalitarianism, because on <page number> he writes:
"<something about the telescreens watching wilson">

This shows the dangers of totalitarianism because it tells us that <bla bla bla>

:s-smilie:
Reply 14
xo-Heva
Do you now what texts you are studying? I could try find a few of my old essays to scan in for you to see, if you're intrested.

Dunno yet, but I'd love it if you could scan them! :love:
LuhLah
Ah right, so it would be like:

Whilst the author uses the big brother to symbolise the dangers of totalitarianism, he also uses the telescreens to symbolise the dangers of totalitarianism, because on <page number> he writes:
"<something about the telescreens watching wilson">

This shows the dangers of totalitarianism because it tells us that <bla bla bla>

:s-smilie:

Sounds good. The skill however, is in fitting all your analysis into a coherent argument for whatever the question is. If you can do that and make the essay flow as one big river of critical goodness, then you'll do well :yep:
Ape Gone Insane
:yep:

You don't need page numbers. You can instead insert a brief point in the story instead such as after "Bob is captured by the Police, the author writes"

You have to say HOW it shows. You can't say this shows..never do that. Anaylse the words and what effect the words have or the tone or the imagery. Then you can say it conveys the dangers of totalitarianism..

And is that 1984? Ah you!

Hence why she said because :yep:
Reply 17
Meteorshower
Sounds good. The skill however, is in fitting all your analysis into a coherent argument for whatever the question is. If you can do that and make the essay flow as one big river of critical goodness, then you'll do well :yep:

Yeah. But the thing is, whenever I have to pick stuff out from books, my mind goes blank and I end up getting repetitive. There's just so much in 1984 to pick from, I just dunno what to do, nor how many things I should write about. Do you have to write it in cronoglocal order, or would any order do?
Pop tarts are revolting.
LuhLah
Yeah. But the thing is, whenever I have to pick stuff out from books, my mind goes blank and I end up getting repetitive. There's just so much in 1984 to pick from, I just dunno what to do, nor how many things I should write about. Do you have to write it in cronoglocal order, or would any order do?

Yeah this is definitely the more difficult part. Basically, I don't think there is much point doing a large book for personal study or critical essays because there are so many easier alternatives. I did a sonnet for my personal study, where you're drowning in analysis to pick from.

If you do want to go with the book though, pick a few quotes that will highlight various themes and demonstrate points you might want to make, and write them down. Then try and remember them

Latest