Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Tell me something beautiful
    you'll stroll to straight As next august and will meet any conditional offer you receive with ease.

sadness caused by noel gallagher quitting oasis perhaps?

(Original post by Dado Prso)
    you'll stroll to straight As next august and will meet any conditional offer you receive with ease.

sadness caused by noel gallagher quitting oasis perhaps?
    Hmm good attempt but I'd like something to do with life and the universe in general

As you can see I posted that prior to Oasis disbanding this evening

ReputationRep:
    Hmm good attempt but I'd like something to do with life and the universe in general

As you can see I posted that prior to Oasis disbanding this evening
    heh, i'm not one to care about random clichés about the universe and life in general and their ability to actually cheer people up. i usually just think back to times where i was happy, really happy.

oasis's best days were behind them anyway. the last album was very dodgy at parts so it's probably for the best that they have disbanded, hopefully it will allow noel to refocus and produce some new stuff by himself.

ReputationRep:

That is an arm of the Milky Way, as you look 'horizontally' along it. I'm not sure it needs any more description - one of the things I want to do before I die is go somewhere dark enough to see this.

ReputationRep:
    I can see the Milky Way here fairly good sometimes... It's ridiculously beautiful

ReputationRep:
    mY DAD DECIDED TO COMPARE OASIS WITH PINK FLOYD, SO i DECIDED TO COME UP TO MY BED With the laptop and read anne of green gables

yeah sometimes you win the arguement by just going to bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    That is an arm of the Milky Way, as you look 'horizontally' along it. I'm not sure it needs any more description - one of the things I want to do before I die is go somewhere dark enough to see this.
    Haunting. If you're of a pretty-pictures-of-stars persuasion I'd heartily recommend Giles Sparrow's Cosmos. It can be a bit price (seems to vary) but the photography is naturally astounding and the print quality is very impressive considering the size of it.

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone here know what the worst smell ever is?

When a fly lands on a very hot lamp right next to you and it's vaporised form finds its way up your nose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    or a body that has been in a room, dead for 5 years.
    At this current moment in time, the fly edges it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    mY DAD DECIDED TO COMPARE OASIS WITH PINK FLOYD, SO i DECIDED TO COME UP TO MY BED With the laptop and read anne of green gables

yeah sometimes you win the arguement by just going to bed
    How was the night out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    What if the burnt fly happened to land on the dead body? :awesome:

:ninja:

This is all just speculation of course :ninja:
    This fly does not have a solid form any more :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What's better, a B at higher or a C at AH...in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    B at Higher. Not that anyone can really dispute a C at AH taking a fair amount of work, but it doesn't escape the stigma of being a C, pour moi. Silly, but whatever.

Oh, and I suppose it depends on whether the Higher was sat in 5th or 6th year. If the former then it's definitely better. I feel far, far more "prepared" for my AHs in 6th year at the moment than I did for my Highers last year.

(Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Using a thesaurus on every second word, by the way, does not make you sound like a genius.
    You'll have to take my solemn word for it that I rarely resort to the tedium of a thesaurus, and very much adhere to "Never using a long word where a short one will do". By the bye, that post was quite clearly intended to be over-the-top, and I didn't hide that I've never actually caught more than a few glimpses of the show in question.

I did get "soporifically" from a thesaurus, but not last night. I found it around the time of my SG prelims in, hmm... December 2007. In naive preparation for English I scoured through dictionaries and thesauri looking for pretty words that might impress the markers (for a prelim, ha) and ended up with that one amongst many others. In typically pathetic fashion I actually had a folder in my Bookmarks called "words" that I'd habitually scan through to burn them to memory. When it came down to it, I probably didn't use most of them, if any.

(Original post by bex285)
    And get the crema catalana thingy
    Is that a dessert? The ice-cream sounds nice. Only because it says it has "Spanish chocolate" in it, and I've no clue what Spanish chocolate is like but it sounds reasonably exotic. The (white) fish and the squid rings are yum yum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    What's better, a B at higher or a C at AH...in your opinion?
    C at AH for me. a couple of universities view them as being the same value but i think a lot more work is required for the AHs.

for example my brother got an A in higher physics whilst only revising with past papers a week or so before the exam but for AH Physics he had to do his investigation which took hours and he revised the course through scholar books before cracking on with past papers about two months before the exam and got a B.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    B at Higher. Not that anyone can really dispute a C at AH taking a fair amount of work, but it doesn't escape the stigma of being a C, pour moi. Silly, but whatever.

Oh, and I suppose it depends on whether the Higher was sat in 5th or 6th year. If the former then it's definitely better. I feel far, far more "prepared" for my AHs in 6th year at the moment than I did for my Highers last year.
    So a B at higher english would be better than C at AH?

ReputationRep:
    Not officially. The SQA's opinion is that an A at the level below is about equal to D. Most universities see a B at AH as equivalent to A at Higher though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Has anyone here done AH english. If so how hard did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    If I saw it (so this is totally subjective...) then I'd probably think so, but the opinion of some peasant on the internet is pretty irrelevant next to the opinion of whichever university you're applying to, so you should probably email them.

I do find a B at AH more impressive than an A at Higher, though, so my logic ain't exactly consistent. Are you applying to Glasgow? As far as I know, if you were to get a C at AH in a subject you've got a B in at H they probably wouldn't take much note of it. Could be different if you got a B (at AH).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here done AH english. If so how hard did you find it?
    For me it was pretty difficult. I'd suggest you start preparing for your disssertation as soon as possible, read your chosen texts and make comprehensive notes.

Unfortunately I didn't take English seriously enough compared to the rest of my subjects and only got a C :p: I got an A at Higher - so draw your conclusions as you wish.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    If I saw it (so this is totally subjective...) then I'd probably think so, but the opinion of some peasant on the internet is pretty irrelevant next to the opinion of whichever university you're applying to, so you should probably email them.

I do find a B at AH more impressive than an A at Higher, though, so my logic ain't exactly consistent. Are you applying to Glasgow? As far as I know, if you were to get a C at AH in a subject you've got a B in at H they probably wouldn't take much note of it. Could be different if you got a B (at AH).
    Not to Glasgow, to Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Stirling probably. They don't ask for AH and I think I might unconditionals with AABBB (appealing one :p: ) so then it wouldn't really matter what I got in AH's anyway.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.