Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    For me it was pretty difficult. I'd suggest you start preparing for your disssertation as soon as possible, read your chosen texts and make comprehensive notes.

Unfortunately I didn't take English seriously enough compared to the rest of my subjects and only got a C :p: I got an A at Higher - so draw your conclusions as you wish.
    Compared to higher? Also, how hard is it to get 30+ in dissertation and 20+ in textual analysis (if you did it) and literary study section? Hopefully not as hard as my teaacher is making it out to be. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Compared to higher? Also, how hard is it to get 30+ in dissertation and 20+ in textual analysis (if you did it) and literary study section? Hopefully not as hard as my teaacher is making it out to be. :p:
    I found it to have a much much larger work load than Higher. I didn't do a great lot for either and yet I managed to get away with in Higher. Not AH though.

To get marks like 30+/40 and 20+/30 you need to be able to understand and analyse the texts at a very high standard. Remember that the difficulty of the work in AH English is considered on par with first year English at a Scottish uni. Your dissertation will need to be full of relevant and considered references and quotes to support whatever argument you are making and the style and accuracy of your writing must be considerably higher than that of Higher ('scuse the pun :p: )

In other words I found it to be the hardest AH out of the ones I've done.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I found it to have a much much larger work load than Higher. I didn't do a great lot for either and yet I managed to get away with in Higher. Not AH though.

To get marks like 30+/40 and 20+/30 you need to be able to understand and analyse the texts at a very high standard. Remember that the difficulty of the work in AH English is considered on par with first year English at a Scottish uni. Your dissertation will need to be full of relevant and considered references and quotes to support whatever argument you are making and the style and accuracy of your writing must be considerably higher than that of Higher ('scuse the pun :p: )

In other words I found it to be the hardest AH out of the ones I've done.
    But if you were getting 23 and 25 for higher essays then you should be able to get a C at least?

ReputationRep:
    But if you were getting 23 and 25 for higher essays then you should be able to get a C at least?
    Well, yes but to bump that up towards an A would require a lot more work and effort than doing the same at Higher. Work and effort I didn't put in, mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    How was the night out?
    Oh, I ws sober there o.O I didn't notice the caps lock was on haha

Hello everyone

I'm writing up an experiment for AH Physics on 'measuring g using a simple pendulum'. I've plotted T^2 and L and found the uncertainty in the gradient using the centroid method. Does anyone know if I have to write up the other uncertainties, such as reading error in length of pendulum, timing etc? My teacher said we don't need to because of the use of the centroid method, but I thought I ought to have to combine reading errors with the uncertainty in the gradient to get my total uncertainty?

Hope someone can help. Cheers!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Hello everyone

I'm writing up an experiment for AH Physics on 'measuring g using a simple pendulum'. I've plotted T^2 and L and found the uncertainty in the gradient using the centroid method. Does anyone know if I have to write up the other uncertainties, such as reading error in length of pendulum, timing etc? My teacher said we don't need to because of the use of the centroid method, but I thought I ought to have to combine reading errors with the uncertainty in the gradient to get my total uncertainty?

Hello.

I haven't even done SG physics. :p: But I just wanted to say hi. But I would say you would write up the other uncertanties.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We are doing that right now for our AH English (Streetcar Named Desire)

Here's mine:
    What book you chose? Equus by Peter Shaffer
    Any comments on it - An unconventional and controversial play that has lots of themes about humanity under its facade of violence.
    Questio - An analysis on how Peter Shaffer effectively created an atmosphere of tension throughout his play "Equus"
    Any advice to others doing their personal studies? You may wish to consider picking a play, as it is normally less laden with meaning than a poem but more manageable and easier to read than novel-length prose. Also for a play you can focus entirely or partly on stage directions, dramatic techniques, costume and prop setting and lighting which can only be found in drama.
    Just noticed this on PS thread. I'm doing it now for AH. Was it with Sweet Bird of Youth?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

Which formula are you using to find g? You need to write up uncertainties only for the quantities used in your formula.

Just noticed this on PS thread. I'm doing it now for AH. Was it with Sweet Bird of Youth?
    Yes. We were taught the Shakespeare texts as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Which formula are you using to find g? You need to write up uncertainties only for the quantities used in your formula.

Yes. We were taught the Shakespeare texts as well.
    Sweet Bird of Youth is one weird play, and I can't find notes on it anywhere on the internet.
    Were the Shakespeare ones Hamlet and King Lear or Othello and The Tempest? I might be doing Othello and King Lear of the dissertation. :p:

I'm using T = 2\pi  \sqrt \frac{L}{g} and then rearranging to get get \frac{T^2}{L} = gradient = \frac{4\pi^2}{g} and then just solving for g.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using T = 2\pi  \sqrt \frac{L}{g} and then rearranging to get get \frac{T^2}{L} = gradient = \frac{4\pi^2}{g} and then just solving for g.
    Ahh I see. You'll need the uncertainties in T and L to draw your error bars on the graph but they are not required in the calculation for g as they will be included in the uncertainty in the gradient.

Sweet Bird of Youth is one weird play, and I can't find notes on it anywhere on the internet.
    Were the Shakespeare ones Hamlet and King Lear or Othello and The Tempest? I might be doing Othello and King Lear of the dissertation. :p:
    Othello and Anthony and Cleopatra actually. Remember you can't do your dissertation on anything you've been taught in AH or Higher (they can't check for SG).

Ahh I see. You'll need the uncertainties in T and L to draw your error bars on the graph but they are not required in the calculation for g as they will be included in the uncertainty in the gradient.
    Thank you for your help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Othello and Anthony and Cleopatra actually. Remember you can't do your dissertation on anything you've been taught in AH or Higher (they can't check for SG).
    Yeah I know. Taught Hamlet at Higher and Tennessee Williams for AH so it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Name suggestions for this little guy folks?

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Name suggestions for this little guy folks?

Spoiler:
    Show

Hamish, Angus, Corey or Paddy :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Hamish, Angus, Corey or Paddy :p:
    Hamish definately.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda liking Snubs for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Of course, it's a cute/cuddly name, my sister recommended it. :yep:

You could call him Snubbles then use Snubs for short

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    ???
    It's a pokemon called Snubbull :p:

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.