Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    I know it reminds me of the sharks on finding nemo.
    I did as expected. You could always apply through clearing. I was looking at Aberdeen clearing and they have lots of courses available.
    Fish are friends not food! :p:
    I actually didn't know I could do that :| I thought you could only do that if you'd applied and been declined!
    Not sure what uni I want to go to though really so maybe the extra year will do me good.
    Did you get the results you needed?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bex285)
    Fish are friends not food! :p:
    I actually didn't know I could do that :| I thought you could only do that if you'd applied and been declined!
    Not sure what uni I want to go to though really so maybe the extra year will do me good.
    Did you get the results you needed?
    Yeah, got the results I need for every course I'm looking at. Not totally sure what I want to yet so that's the only reason I'm staying on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, got the results I need for every course I'm looking at. Not totally sure what I want to yet so that's the only reason I'm staying on.
    Ooh that's great!
    Aah I see. So what you doing this year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ooh that's great!
    Aah I see. So what you doing this year?
    AH English, Music, Biology and Higher psychology. Want to do either english literature or biomedical sciences at uni. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    AH English, Music, Biology and Higher psychology. Want to do either english literature or biomedical sciences at uni. How about you?
    AH French, Spanish and English, want to do Modern Languages at uni :nods:
    I was gonna do H History as well but was told it'd be too much!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    AH French, Spanish and English, want to do Modern Languages at uni :nods:
    I was gonna do H History as well but was told it'd be too much!
    AH English? :woo: Do you know what you're doing for your dissertation yet? And also what optional unit are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    AH English? :woo: Do you know what you're doing for your dissertation yet? And also what optional unit are you doing?
    I haven't the foggiest :p:
    Haven't started the course yet as I only decided to do it after getting an A!
    Starting to panic now though!
    What are you doing? :woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I haven't the foggiest :p:
    Haven't started the course yet as I only decided to do it after getting an A!
    Starting to panic now though!
    What are you doing? :woo:
    I'm not completely sure but I think our teacher wants the books and proposed topics the first week back...which is next week! :eek3:
    Thinking about two out of The Color Purple/Their Eyes Were Watching God/A Thousand Splendid Suns/Beloved (prose)
    OR
    A Doll's House + Top Girls (drama)
    OR
    Othello + King Lear (drama obviously )
    Would rather do drama as hardly anyone else does it and it's easier in my opinion :p:
    Just make sure you pick books/plays/poems you enjoy which will make the whole dissertation process easier and more enjoyable. And also DON'T SLACK OFF! The workload does seem quite big and make sure the dissertation is good as it's worth 40% of the overall grade.
    Tell me what you decide to do for the dissertation and what books/plays/poems you're studying in class when you find out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not completely sure but I think our teacher wants the books and proposed topics the first week back...which is next week! :eek3:
    Thinking about two out of The Color Purple/Their Eyes Were Watching God/A Thousand Splendid Suns/Beloved (prose)
    OR
    A Doll's House + Top Girls (drama)
    OR
    Othello + King Lear (drama obviously )
    Would rather do drama as hardly anyone else does it and it's easier in my opinion :p:
    Just make sure you pick books/plays/poems you enjoy which will make the whole dissertation process easier and more enjoyable. And also DON'T SLACK OFF! The workload does seem quite big and make sure the dissertation is good as it's worth 40% of the overall grade.
    Tell me what you decide to do for the dissertation and what books/plays/poems you're studying in class when you find out.
    Ooh you seem to have a good idea of what you want to do!
    I shall let you know!
    Can you do poetry yeah? And are there any you're not allowed to do?
    I really don't want to have to struggle through classics that I won't enjoy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Ooh you seem to have a good idea of what you want to do!
    I shall let you know!
    Can you do poetry yeah? And are there any you're not allowed to do?
    I really don't want to have to struggle through classics that I won't enjoy.
    You and I make this the 7th most popular thread.
    You are allowed to do poetry but you have to do like 8+ poems and my teacher said you have to be skilled at essay writing to be able to discuss and compare that many poems.
    You aren't allowed to do anything you've been taught by a teacher before like the prose/drama/poetry stuff for Higher. (what novel and drama did you do last year by the way? ) and this link shows you some of the writers and topics verified by the SQA.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Spec...ble_Topics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    You and I make this the 7th most popular thread.
    You are allowed to do poetry but you have to do like 8+ poems and my teacher said you have to be skilled at essay writing to be able to discuss and compare that many poems.
    You aren't allowed to do anything you've been taught by a teacher before like the prose/drama/poetry stuff for Higher. (what novel and drama did you do last year by the way? ) and this link shows you some of the writers and topics verified by the SQA.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/Spec...ble_Topics.pdf
    Wayhay! :p:
    Oh. Never mind that idea then lol.
    Awh damn!
    Last year I did Death of a Salesman for drama but we didn't do a novel, just loads of poems! I focussed on The Death of Marilyn Monroe, The Jaguar and Visiting Hour in the run-up to the exam though. Yourself?
    Oooh thanks for the link!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wayhay! :p:
    Oh. Never mind that idea then lol.
    Awh damn!
    Last year I did Death of a Salesman for drama but we didn't do a novel, just loads of poems! I focussed on The Death of Marilyn Monroe, The Jaguar and Visiting Hour in the run-up to the exam though. Yourself?
    Oooh thanks for the link!
    Death of a Salesman is pretty good. I focused on Visiting Hour as well! And for poetry Education for Leisure, In The Snack Bar and Assisi.
    To Kill A Mockingbird for prose and Hamlet :love: for drama. If you like Drama then I would definately recommend Hamlet. There's LOADS of notes/secondary sources you could reference, York Notes Advanced are available (which are amazing btw!) and I could e-mail you my notes and 25/25 essays for it if you wanted them. You could compare it with another Shakespeare tragedy which also have York Notes available. But just make sure you do something you like as you're more likely to get a better mark.

ReputationRep:
    Death of a Salesman is pretty good. I focused on Visiting Hour as well! And for poetry Education for Leisure, In The Snack Bar and Assisi.
    To Kill A Mockingbird for prose and Hamlet :love: for drama. If you like Drama then I would definitely recommend Hamlet. There's LOADS of notes/secondary sources you could reference, York Notes Advanced are available (which are amazing btw!) and I could e-mail you my notes and 25/25 essays for it if you wanted them. You could compare it with another Shakespeare tragedy which also have York Notes available. But just make sure you do something you like as you're more likely to get a better mark.
    Awh yeah we did Assisi as well but at the start of the year, so by exam time I hardly remembered anything about it!
    Oooh Hamlet sounds like a plan. I did Macbeth for Standard Grade and really enjoyed it, but doesn't that mean I can't look at it now?
    I may have to take you up on your offer within the next while lol, thanks for the offer!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Awh yeah we did Assisi as well but at the start of the year, so by exam time I hardly remembered anything about it!
    Oooh Hamlet sounds like a plan. I did Macbeth for Standard Grade and really enjoyed it, but doesn't that mean I can't look at it now?
    I may have to take you up on your offer within the next while lol, thanks for the offer!
    There was a really good question in the exam that Visting Hour was good for - something to do with theme of anguish or something.
    You wouldn't be able to do MacBeth but you could do Othello or King Lear instead. If you liked MacBeth then you'll LOVE Hamlet! THE best piece of literature EVER written!

ReputationRep:
    There was a really good question in the exam that Visting Hour was good for - something to do with theme of anguish or something.
    You wouldn't be able to do MacBeth but you could do Othello or King Lear instead. If you liked MacBeth then you'll LOVE Hamlet! THE best piece of literature EVER written!
    Loads of my friends did that question for Visiting Hour.
    I was really lucky - I'd done a contrast question for The Jaguar the week before the exam and got 23, then redrafted it the day before the exam and the question came up!!
    I'll have to have a look at Hamlet, I'll have it in my newly-acquired Shakespeare anthology! :woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Loads of my friends did that question for Visiting Hour.
    I was really lucky - I'd done a contrast question for The Jaguar the week before the exam and got 23, then redrafted it the day before the exam and the question came up!!
    I'll have to have a look at Hamlet, I'll have it in my newly-acquired Shakespeare anthology! :woo:
    I did the prose question on setting for To Kill A Mockingbird and we practised a setting question for it 2 weeks before the exam so it was still fresh in my mind.
    Well I'm off before the sun comes up. *big yawn* Night!

ReputationRep:
    I did the prose question on setting for To Kill A Mockingbird and we practised a setting question for it 2 weeks before the exam so it was still fresh in my mind.
    Well I'm off before the sun comes up. *big yawn* Night!
    Ooh lucky!
    Night! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up and want to talk about anything? Je suis bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmyVermicelli)
    Anyone up and want to talk about anything? Je suis bored
    Moi aussi! Et je ne suis pas fatigué parce que je m'ai revaillé sur l'après-midi
    That was probably all wrong lol.

ReputationRep:
    Moi aussi! Et je ne suis pas fatigué parce que je m'ai revaillé sur l'après-midi
    That was probably all wrong lol.
    A fair stab I must say :yep: what you up to?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.