Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    They've all got a year abroad and they're all MA Hons except Stirling which is BA Hons :confused:
    There's almost certainly no difference in this case. For historical reasons, the Scottish ancients all award MAs as their initial 4-year undergraduate degree in the arts and humanities. It's equivalent to a Bachelor's from a non-ancient. If it's a 'true' (integrated) Master's then you'll have an extra year of study, as Kirsteneg said, and it's likely to have a more specific name (e.g. MInf for Master of Informatics).

ReputationRep:
    They've all got a year abroad and they're all MA Hons except Stirling which is BA Hons :confused:
    I'm confuzzzzzed lol.
    What is it you're applying for?
    At the old scottish institutes they call it MA but it's basically the same as a BA Just adds to the confusion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    There's almost certainly no difference in this case. For historical reasons, the Scottish ancients all award MAs as their initial 4-year undergraduate degree in the arts and humanities. It's equivalent to a Bachelor's from a non-ancient. If it's a 'true' (integrated) Master's then you'll have an extra year of study, as Kirsteneg said, and it's likely to have a more specific name (e.g. MInf for Master of Informatics).
    Thanks for the explanation, I was really confused about them!
    So really, there's not much difference between MA Hons and BA Hons?
    Aberdeen, Edinburgh, and Stirling are all 4 years, and Aberdeen and Edinburgh are both MA Hons, whereas Stirling is BA Hons.
    Glasgow and St. Andrews are both 5 years MA Hons.
    It's unnecessarily confusing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    At the old scottish institutes they call it MA but it's basically the same as a BA Just adds to the confusion!
    I think they're trying to confuse us tbh :woo:
    Meanies! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Because it's course is actually accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Scientists, so I'd get good career prospects. The course at glasgow isn't though :sad: All I need is to pick another uni that does it...and ugh, I haven't been to any open days Can you organize individual visits to the uni or something? :o:

Dare me to pick something like St Andrews? :awesome: lol!
    perhaps it would be worth emailing glasgow to ask if they are looking to gain accreditation from the institute of biomed scientists? as if they achieve it before you graduate i would imagine it wouldn't affect you.

not been to any open days either although i think edinburgh's is soon, can't turn down a day off school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    I did not know that. Kirsten is interested. :cool:
    http://www.ibms.org/pdf/acc_honours_july09.pdf

There, is you ever wanna go into Biomedical Sci, make sure you pick the right courses.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's course is actually accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Scientists, so I'd get good career prospects. The course at glasgow isn't though :sad: All I need is to pick another uni that does it...and ugh, I haven't been to any open days Can you organize individual visits to the uni or something? :o:

Dare me to pick something like St Andrews? :awesome: lol!
    Yeah you can go on individual visit's, just e-mail them and let them know, they are really flexible. :yep: Or with you know any student's get them to give you a tour, that's what i did. Good to know that someone can just walk into a lecture hall, take a seat with 3rd student's and not get noticed :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    perhaps it would be worth emailing glasgow to ask if they are looking to gain accreditation from the institute of biomed scientists? as if they achieve it before you graduate i would imagine it wouldn't affect you.

not been to any open days either although i think edinburgh's is soon, can't turn down a day off school.
    I know it isn't accredited lol, but you can take the top-up qualification after graduating, or you can apply for the Msci.

ReputationRep:
    Good to know that someone can just walk into a lecture hall, take a seat with 3rd student's and not get noticed :rolleyes:
    It's like that in college, too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's like that in college, too. :rolleyes:
    Yeah and they had passcode ID/swipe cards on some off the buildings, I got a shot of ID and well free to go wherever really :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and they had passcode ID/swipe cards on some off the buildings, I got a shot of ID and well free to go wherever really :rolleyes:
    Yep, same with college. I'm getting my card tomorrow, when I offically start :awesome: Higher English first thing on a monday for 3 hours, bad omen much? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, same with college. I'm getting my card tomorrow, when I offically start :awesome: Higher English first thing on a monday for 3 hours, bad omen much? :eek3:
    They'll love you once they see how much work you've done for your PS already :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    Your personal statement will be very interesting...
    Indeed. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Same
    That's quite a varied bunch you've got there :eek:
    Do you know what you want to do as a career?
    Yeah, French and Spanish all the way :p:
    Indeed. :p: Possibly pharmaceuticals, teaching or drug research. Yourself?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    http://www.ibms.org/pdf/acc_honours_july09.pdf

There, is you ever wanna go into Biomedical Sci, make sure you pick the right courses.
    Thanks. I know the aberdeen one says you can either get advanced second year entry into medicine or do a 1 year course in something else to be accredited.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you'll love it, you seem to have got stuck right into your English lately. We used to have double English last thing on Friday, it was awful plus the teacher didn't help to make things exciting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    Indeed. :p: Possibly pharmaceuticals, teaching or drug research. Yourself?
    Oooh sounds hard, but then I'm a science numpty so lots of sciency things sound like gibberish to me anyways :p:
    Possibly teaching or interpreting/translating. I've been set on teaching for a while but, ironically, all my teachers are telling me I should do something else :p:

ReputationRep:
    They'll love you once they see how much work you've done for your PS already :p:
    :p:

I wrote my conclusion but it just seems a bit corny...

Spoiler:
    Show

For me, studying at this university would be as much about the experience as the qualification. I believe that biomedical science is a discipline that will offer me a chance to make a tangible difference in the world, and I am certain I will enjoy the opportunity to fully reach this potential.

ReputationRep:
    :p:

I wrote my conclusion but it just seems a bit corny...

Spoiler:
    Show

For me, studying at this university would be as much about the experience as the qualification. I believe that biomedical science is a discipline that will offer me a chance to make a tangible difference in the world, and I am certain I will enjoy the opportunity to fully reach this potential.
    Bloody hell, that sounds really professional! You'll get snapped up with that :yep:
    I should really make a start on mine soon....:woo:
    You've done loads for you personal study as well haven't you :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Oh you'll love it, you seem to have got stuck right into your English lately. We used to have double English last thing on Friday, it was awful plus the teacher didn't help to make things exciting!
    Hah. I still can't write an essay for Higher English :p:, and my PSL notes are just dire lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.