Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Anyway, who was kind enough to positively rep me
    :wavey:
    It was me, you might thought i would have negged you :p:

Yeah but it's not about whether you would fancy her back or not... The way I see it, it's jealousy that that their girlfriend is hanging out with someone they could potentially fancy :p:

Like you have a heterosexual couple, it's very unlikely one of them will be bothered with the other hanging out with a homosexual as the same sex as them... But for a homosexual couple, as in your situation...
    I see it all now. I'll make sure not to spend all my free periods alone with her anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    :wavey:
    It was me, you might thought i would have negged you :p:
    I honestly have no idea who negged me :p:
    I don't suspect anyone who normally posts in this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I see it all now. I'll make sure not to spend all my free periods alone with her anymore
    I wouldn't worry about that, you shouldn't have to compromise your friendship for someone else's paranoia :p:

I wouldn't worry about that, you shouldn't have to compromise your friendship for someone else's paranoia :p:
    I suppose. I'm just ... keeping her company ... :ninja:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    troll?

Hopefully someone (Meteorshower? ukdragon? TheUnbeliever? :p:) can answer another physics question

Calculate the refractive index of a glass block from the following information:
    Angle of incidence = 46 +- 1 Angle of refraction = 28 +- 1 (in degrees obviously)
    Make sure you quote an uncertainty in your answer.

I know how to calculate the refractive index, but I haven't got a clue how to deal with the uncertainties... how does one deal with uncertainties when you're using trig functions?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else just feeling completely drained? I've got Chem homework on the reaction rate stuff and maths homework on sig figs. We're doing a PPA on Monday :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    They could have at least the decency to say why. :p:

Thanks for the rep, got my first bright gem (and Unbeliever and no name, 3 in 10 minutes :five:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    Hopefully someone (Meteorshower? ukdragon? TheUnbeliever? :p:) can answer another physics question

Angle of incidence = 46 +- 1 Angle of refraction = 28 +- 1 (in degrees obviously)

I know how to calculate the refractive index, but I haven't got a clue how to deal with the uncertainties... how does one deal with uncertainties when you're using trig functions?
    If you got asked a question on how to calculate trig uncertainties in the exam you'd be insanely unlucky (that said we were going over it desperately on here a few hours before :p:)

That said, I have absolutely no idea sorry... I've never done a question like that ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Anyone else just feeling completely drained? I've got Chem homework on the reaction rate stuff and maths homework on sig figs. We're doing a PPA on Monday :awesome:
    Yeah but drained for other reasons though.

If you got asked a question on how to calculate trig uncertainties in the exam you'd be insanely unlucky (that said we were going over it desperately on here a few hours before :p:)

That said, I have absolutely no idea sorry... I've never done a question like that ever.
    No problem. Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    oh yes dave pearce and alphabeat are doing stirling freshers

excellent

ReputationRep:
    Whoever's going to Dundee gets the some of the Skins cast :p:

ReputationRep:
    how does one deal with uncertainties when you're using trig functions?
    Taylor series about the point and then calculate the uncertainty for the first term or two? :p: (For the record, that's not a serious suggestion!)

Not a clue, sorry. :o: Where did you find the question?

ReputationRep:

For trig uncertainties you calculate (using sin as example) half of (sin of max angle - sin of min angle) and that'll be the absolute uncertainty in the sin of the given angle.

I'm melting in a hotel room in Rome right now so I won't be able to post often. :p:

EDIT: For clarity, in the case of your question the uncertainty in the sin of angle of incidence would be sin 46 +- (sin47-sin45)/2. Convert that into percentage form and combine it with the same for the sin of angle of refraction and use Snell's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bassmonkey)
    Whoever's going to Dundee gets the some of the Skins cast :p:
    Aww i'm jealous xD
    Mmm good looking people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I'm melting in a hotel room in Rome right now
    You poor thing. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    You poor thing. :p:
    I'm going with friends but we are too lazy to go to much because we have sore feet and it's far too hot

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    For trig uncertainties you calculate (using sin as example) half of (sin of max angle - sin of min angle) and that'll be the absolute uncertainty in the sin of the given angle.

I'm melting in a hotel room in Rome right now so I won't be able to post often. :p:

EDIT: For clarity, in the case of your question the uncertainty in the sin of angle of incidence would be sin 46 +- (sin47-sin45)/2. Convert that into percentage form and combine it with the same for the sin of angle of refraction and use Snell's.
    Thanks Enjoy the rest of your time in Rome!

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Where did you find the question?
    It's the last question in the "tutorial" in the uncertainties book I was given.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.