Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Yazoo.C)
    Yeah it covered all units, and it was our second prelim. I only got a B in the first prelim.
    I don't know then. It also depends on whether the SQA think that your prelims were set and mark at SQA standard. I wouldn't get your hopes up though to avoid further disappointment as I think on the SQA website it said less than 35% of submitted appeals are successful. I'm hoping for an appeal in higher english as well as I got a B in the exam but and A (81%) in the prelim. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    I don't know then. It also depends on whether the SQA think that your prelims were set and mark at SQA standard. I wouldn't get your hopes up though to avoid further disappointment as I think on the SQA website it said less than 35% of submitted appeals are successful. I'm hoping for an appeal in higher english as well as I got a B in the exam but and A (81%) in the prelim. :o:
    You will probably get your appeal because 81% is like an A1 in the exam.
    I don't think I will get the appeal because a few people who got 100/130 in the exam (1 mark from an A) didn't get their appeal. In fact I don't think I will be allowed to appeal because my teacher estimated me for a B. (based on the 1st prelim)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You will probably get your appeal because 81% is like an A1 in the exam.
    I don't think I will get the appeal because a few people who got 100/130 in the exam (1 mark from an A) didn't get their appeal. In fact I don't think I will be allowed to appeal because my teacher estimated me for a B. (based on the 1st prelim)
    I think the SQA first check that the prelim and the marking scheme for it are SQA standard and if not then they don't even look at the rest of your appeal materials. It's hard to predict whether you'll get an appeal or not but if mine isn't successful then it'll probably mean that my school marked the prelims too generously.

ReputationRep:
    I think the SQA first check that the prelim and the marking scheme for it are SQA standard and if not then they don't even look at the rest of your appeal materials. It's hard to predict whether you'll get an appeal or not but if mine isn't successful then it'll probably mean that my school marked the prelims too generously.
    Oh well...Should have tried to do better in the exam.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh well...Should have tried to do better in the exam.
    B still pretty damn good!

ReputationRep:
    B still pretty damn good!
    Well I feel kind of disappointed because I done worse than in my prelim. My teacher said an A is like a gold medal, B is like Silver and C is like bronze. I feel like I have missed out on that extra gold medal.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well I feel kind of disappointed because I done worse than in my prelim. My teacher said an A is like a gold medal, B is like Silver and C is like bronze. I feel like I have missed out on that extra gold medal.
    Same here with English. It's worse when you get one of the best marks in the year for the prelim and then everyone expects you to do really good and I let the weight of expectation bother me.
    Lesson learned - never care what anyone else thinks about your results! :p:
    I'm thrilled I got a B in maths - that paper was quite hard!
    Don't keep thinking that you should've done better because you probably won't need an A in maths in particular to get into uni (unless you wanted to do medicine) so you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Yeugh, leavers form on monday D: I'm dreading it, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Same here with English. It's worse when you get one of the best marks in the year for the prelim and then everyone expects you to do really good and I let the weight of expectation bother me.
    Lesson learned - never care what anyone else thinks about your results! :p:
    I'm thrilled I got a B in maths - that paper was quite hard!
    Don't keep thinking that you should've done better because you probably won't need an A in maths in particular to get into uni (unless you wanted to do medicine) so you'll be fine!
    I was planning to do AH maths next year but after that don't think i'll be doing maths.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Yeugh, leavers form on monday D: I'm dreading it, lol.
    Why you dread?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I was planning to do AH maths next year but after that don't think i'll be doing maths.
    What are you doing in 6th year now?

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing in 6th year now?
    AH maths, AH chemistry, Higher Human Biology.

What subjects are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Why you dread?
    It'll just be awkward leaving it for good I suppose. I met my English teacher, who hates me, in morrisons today (was handing in a job application :rolleyes:) she was talking to me about her daughter getting a Dux and stuff, kinda awkward talking to her outside of school lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    AH maths, AH chemistry, Higher Human Biology.

What subjects are you doing?
    AH English, AH Biology, AH Music, H Psychology.

I'd much prefer to do human biology than biology but our school doesn't offer it

I'd quite like to do AH Chemistry as well but that might be a bit ambitious!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    It'll just be awkward leaving it for good I suppose. I met my English teacher, who hates me, in morrisons today (was handing in a job application :rolleyes:) she was talking to me about her daughter getting a Dux and stuff, kinda awkward talking to her outside of school lol
    awkward This is probably really stupid but whhat is a Dux?

ReputationRep:
    awkward This is probably really stupid but whhat is a Dux?
    A Dux is basically awarded to a student who achieves the best academic results in exams. My school doesn't do it either though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Cloud cover has caused me to miss the Perseids, without fail, for as many years as I can remember. I'm faintly considering checking the infrared satellite photos tomorrow night and driving to somewhere where the skies are clear!

When are our leavers planning on starting to wind back up with academic preparations for university, if at all? I'm thinking about giving it a week or two (sort of until the schools start to go back) and then trying to get my maths back up to scratch whilst ploughing through a textbook I bought last year but haven't had time to look at yet.
    Wow is this Meteor Shower tonight?

I'm probably going to get things sorted by the end of the month but yeah I need to have a flick through some text books too! Don't start Uni until 19th of September.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Wow is this Meteor Shower tonight?

I'm probably going to get things sorted by the end of the month but yeah I need to have a flick through some text books too! Don't start Uni until 19th of September.
    meteor shower was meant to be last night. Lucky you, we start back school in 6 days!

ReputationRep:
    wooo, I don't start anything until 31st so :mfing:

ReputationRep:
    The meteor shower should be tonight, don't worry.

It's happening right now, there's just a rather pesky source of light pollution stopping us seeing it right now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.