Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by Ronar)
    He did the mash

he did the monster mash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Oh my god you're right, last time I checked Glasgow wanted ABBB, now they want AAAB, updated this week!! :eek3: I am very very worried now.
    Omg what? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Listening to the theme from jaws now

Ahh spotify :love:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god you're right, last time I checked Glasgow wanted ABBB, now they want AAAB, updated this week!! :eek3: I am very very worried now.
    :eek: Not to bad if it was just the one grade but two!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got an interview for Economics at Oxford with AAABB, so anything's possible
    i don't think thats that strange really.

when you consider those doing AS Levels can do four (i think) and get interviewed and since highers are more difficult it seems logical enough for someone to be interviewed with AAABB. Oxford and Cambridge try to interview every realistic candidate too if i remember rightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    yeah all engineering courses at edinburgh seemed to have been changed from BBBB to AABB.

i'm surprised st andrews are happy to take english applicants with three highers, i remember reading a thread on the forum about people getting rejected from chemistry/physics with AAAAA. :eek:
    I heard St Andrews are raising their requirements to AAAAA anyway, for physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Actually I remember reading that AS were harder than Highers and that Advanced Highers were harder than A2.
    You read wrong for the former.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done AS? :awesome:
    I have looked at and done some papers, looked at what universities say about them relative to highers, and looked at the relative amount of UCAS points they get, yes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    But at the Edinburgh open day they said "every course at every uni will be so full this year that it won't be possible to switch courses to something like English."
    You won't like this -- but is that really such a bad thing? Right, so you'll apply for another course and it has to be similar to English. So we're talking about History, Philosophy, Sociology, et al. If your heart is really set on St. Andrews, would it not be worth maybe doing something a little different to your original intention, simply to get to the university you want to?

An essay-based Arts degree teaches you the same skills whatever the specific discipline, so I can't see your employability being affected (by which I mean a job which favours an English Lit. degree - and there are tons, honest! - will surely be equally impressed by one in History).

So it depends on your own aspirations and what you want to get out of your degree. If you absolutely must study English, then so be it. But if you also absolutely must attend St. Andrews, and you end up coming short of their requirements, a compromise will have to be made. My point, I suppose, is that perhaps such a compromise would not be entirely negative.

ReputationRep:
    When you consider that you'd probably have to alter all your applications and personal statement, it's a fair sacrifice though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    I heard St Andrews are raising their requirements to AAAAA anyway, for physics.
    still AAAB for 2010 entry on UCAS.

(Original post by Pedrobear)
    You won't like this -- but is that really such a bad thing? Right, so you'll apply for another course and it has to be similar to English. So we're talking about History, Philosophy, Sociology, et al. If your heart is really set on St. Andrews, would it not be worth maybe doing something a little different to your original intention, simply to get to the university you want to?

An essay-based Arts degree teaches you the same skills whatever the specific discipline, so I can't see your employability being affected (by which I mean a job which favours an English Lit. degree - and there are tons, honest! - will surely be equally impressed by one in History).

So it depends on your own aspirations and what you want to get out of your degree. If you absolutely must study English, then so be it. But if you also absolutely must attend St. Andrews, and you end up coming short of their requirements, a compromise will have to be made. My point, I suppose, is that perhaps such a compromise would not be entirely negative.
    Thanks, but I absolutely do not have my heart set on St Andrews at all. Or Edinburgh or Glasgow. My dedication and commitment lies with the subject; for me, it has never been about getting to a prestigious university. It always has been, and always will be, about reading English. The university is immaterial, but the subject is everything. I was simply researching course requirements at various universities, and St Andrews just happens to have the highest requirements, but that does not necessarily mean that it's the course I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    still AAAB for 2010 entry on UCAS.
    Which I don't understand, because one of the admissions people told me otherwise...

(Original post by Ronar)
    Ahh spotify :love:
    My Spotify has stopped working. I had to uninstall it because it said I needed to upgrade it, and it wouldn't let me, so I deleted it. I miss it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Which I don't understand, because one of the admissions people told me otherwise...
    strange. seems pretty bad if it is infact AAAAA and people are applying with AAAB+ thinking they have a good chance whereas they have a small/no chance at all.

Anyone else knew they were friends. WTF. Effy and Emma :sigh: :coma:

Is it just me or has Emma Watson's top slipped and her bra is showing? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Don't you hate it when you are looking for something for ages and it's been in your hand for the whole time?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that's a good idea or should I just stick with English? :p:
    Personally, I would stick to the subject you love and have a genuine interest in. When it comes to writing your PS you need to show passion to study your choosen subject, this might be difficult if you choose something else and might put the whole application down the drain.

ReputationRep:
    For ape:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else knew they were friends. WTF. Effy and Emma :sigh: :coma:
    You're on first name terms? Lucky you. :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.