Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    strange. seems pretty bad if it is infact AAAAA and people are applying with AAAB+ thinking they have a good chance whereas they have a small/no chance at all.
    I think maybe the AAAAA is a rough guide, I got told they had to pretty much stick to it this last year because they get like 14 applicants per place :eek: I still got in though, with my measly AAAAB. I think they don't just look at grades, and are willing to make exceptions.

They require AAA at A level now (fairly sure on this, although prospectus probably says different :p:) just for first year entry which is only required by a very small number of universities in the the UK

strange. seems pretty bad if it is infact AAAAA and people are applying with AAAB+ thinking they have a good chance whereas they have a small/no chance at all.
    That's not strictly true Oxford said that they want at least AAAAB but people I know and people on here have had offers with AAABB. There are other factors of the application taken into consideration.

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    When you consider that you'd probably have to alter all your applications and personal statement, it's a fair sacrifice though...
    Anyone willing to do that never wanted to study the subject at all.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have to scroll horizontal to see this page? I'm only seeing half off it and it's doing my nut in!

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe the AAAAA is a rough guide, I got told they had to pretty much stick to it this last year because they get like 14 applicants per place :eek: I still got in though, with my measly AAAAB. I think they don't just look at grades, and are willing to make exceptions.

They require AAA at A level now (fairly sure on this, although prospectus probably says different :p:) just for first year entry which is only required by a very small number of universities in the the UK
    "measly" ha.

14 applicants per place is truly mad. personally would choose edinburgh or glasgow over st andrews.

cities just so much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Does anyone else have to scroll horizontal to see this page? I'm only seeing half off it and it's doing my nut in!
    I blame Ape's picture.

To be honest though the reward outweighs the annoyance.

ReputationRep:
    "measly" ha.

14 applicants per place is truly mad. personally would choose edinburgh or glasgow over st andrews.

cities just so much better.
    I don't like the fact you have to spend ages walking/getting the bus there :p:

It's worth mentioning that applicant to place ratio isn't necessarily the best indicator of how hard it is to get in somewhere. Cambridge only had a 4 to 1 ratio for my course, presumably because a lot less people fancy their chances.

ReputationRep:
    What's the likelihood of getting an interview for uni in scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Pretty much none unless you apply for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    That's not strictly true Oxford said that they want at least AAAAB but people I know and people on here have had offers with AAABB. There are other factors of the application taken into consideration.
    hence the "small/no chance".

there are other factors of an application yes but there are probably some admissions people that reject applications immediately when the applicant does not meet the minimum requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Very slim unless your applying for medicine or education.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post17587365

Here's a somewhat tangible source for what i've been saying about St Andrews physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Very slim unless your applying for medicine or education.
    Yes, there are very few courses where you really need an interview. Some unis don't even interview for medicine.
    I think that certain product design courses, teaching, medicine, dentistry and vet medicine (of course :P) are the only ones to interview. I'm probably wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Guys, is there a definite rule to there being "3 dots" after let's say, a sub-heading...?
    Wiki mentions the typographical rules of ellipsis:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDVet)
    Yes, there are very few courses where you really need an interview. Some unis don't even interview for medicine.
    I think that certain product design courses, teaching, medicine, dentistry and vet medicine (of course :P) are the only ones to interview. I'm probably wrong though.
    That sounds about right. Fine art courses also require an interview for a chance to see the folio. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, is it frowned upon/count as a mistake if you have 2 or 4?
    Not sure, I'm no expert at English :p: but it is just seems normal and looks better with 3. Why are you wanting to know?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Pretty much none unless you apply for Medicine.
    RGU say that applicants may be interviewed for biomedical science.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine and Biomedical science - same sort of catergory :p:
    Not at all really :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Medicine and Biomedical science - same sort of catergory :p:
    but it doesn't come under medicine. :p: Similar though yes.

hence the "small/no chance".

there are other factors of an application yes but there are probably some admissions people that reject applications immediately when the applicant does not meet the minimum requirements.
    They're meant to scrutinise the whole application carefully but if the PS is average and their predicted grades are a bit "meh" then you're probably right.

This whole process sucks :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.