Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I hate maths! Every time we learn something new, it seems nice and simple in class. Then we get some past paper/exam style questions and I never know what the hell to do. I managed to get the highest mark in the class on my last bit of homework where I got a B(our teacher grades it instead of giving us marks) and the average was a D. While I felt pretty good, there is something very wrong here. We haven't even started the supposedly 'harder' stuff like differentiation or radians(we've done some logarithmic equations though)
    It's still early day's and it just takes practise to do the exam style questions, after doing a few past papers you'll soon notice the similarites in style. Finding this problem now at least gives you time to work on it, maths was always a love/hate relationship with me. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just finished reading 'My Sister's Keeper' and at so many points during that book I had to fight back the tears.

Has anyone seen the film? Is it any good? If you've read the book, is the film a dissapointment or does it live up to expectations?

Anyone whos intrested, I would highly recommend the book. A lot of emotional issues brought up in the book, really makes you think and consider a lot about yourself and family. The plot has a few unexpected twists too.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    How are you holding up, Ape? :ninja:

Care to elaborate on the random inquiry? :awesome:
    I haven't heard from you in a little while and wanted to make sure you hadn't buried yourself alive under schoolwork :p:

ReputationRep:
    Care to post your poems now you have newfound confidence Ape? :p:

I genuinely am interested!

ReputationRep:
    So you can crush my apparently "prenominal" talent, I think not.

EDIT: Nor could I post my poems since they are being sent away to the SQA next year.
    I wouldn't criticise, seriously!

I'm sure you have some poems you aren't planning on sending away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    We haven't even started the supposedly 'harder' stuff like differentiation or radians(we've done some logarithmic equations though)
    Differentiation requires remembering about 3 facts and half a dozen very simple rules (e.g. 'sin goes to cos, cos goes to -sin'). I think it's a fairly intuitive process for the most part, especially since it's something you've already done in a much more crude form in both maths and physics.

As for radian measure, that's trivial: 2\pi\;\mathrm{rad} = 360^{\circ}. If you take an arc (a fraction of the circumference of a circle) which has length equal to the radius of the circle, then the angle at the centre (between the two radii connecting the centre to each end of the arc) is one radian. For this, and other reasons, radians are often a more 'natural' unit to use than degrees.

All you need for the Higher course is that first equation (which you can use to convert between the two measures) and that 'you need to use them for calculus'. I'd say it's the easiest part of the course by far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by acas13)
    Yeah I am doing Handmaids Tale and Vanity Fair, they make quite a good comparison as they are written so far apart, but society in both novels is pretty similar. Also going to write about how people that do not comform to society in both books end up getting what they want, In vanity fair becky gets rich and marries into royalty, and in handmaids tale some are sent to a place where they get all the sex, drugs and alcohol that they could ever want! You decided?
    sounds good. no not decided yet, but will have to by the end of next week. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Mathematics, we have an UK Senior Maths challenge upcoming and I've been told by several people and if you think about it, it is pretty obvious: You can't really prepare or revise for it?

How do I describe it, it's just about how you apply logic?

I want gold badly.
    I got silver in the intermediate but I am useless at these things (I liked the maths challenge where you got marks for working )

You can practise but not revise

ReputationRep:
    You get marks taken off for wrong answers and no marks taken off for blanks. So I need to put down an answer only if I'm sure.
    I tend to lose all the marks I gain even when I 'm pretty sure! (if I only did the qs I was 100% certain I would do 1 or maybe 2!)

Haven't heard about it though for this year (don't do pure maths) so may not be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Mathematics, we have an UK Senior Maths challenge upcoming and I've been told by several people and if you think about it, it is pretty obvious: You can't really prepare or revise for it?

I want gold badly.
    I got gold for the last three years running :awesome:, but never qualified for the second stage

You can practise for them. Do past papers. I just didn't think it was worth the effort.

ReputationRep:

I want gold badly.
    If you really want to revise for it, just do last years paper or something. That will more get you used to the style of questions though then develop your actual skill at answering them.

Also, read questions properly XD I read one wrong last year, and it cost me entry to the BMO :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I got gold for the last three years running :awesome:, but never qualified for the second stage

You can practise for them. Do past papers. I just didn't think it was worth the effort.
    What did you get for last years one? I was 1 away from qualifying, almost considered paying the money to sit the second stage :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    why would anyone care about this stupid maths thing anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirsteneg)
    why would anyone care about this stupid maths thing anyway
    I cared because I thrashed my friend who's off to Cambridge to study maths :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    What did you get for last years one? I was 1 away from qualifying, almost considered paying the money to sit the second stage :p:
    I *barely* got over the Gold pass line by like 2 marks, my performance seems to get worse over the years. :o: I knew I made a few very stupid mistakes on that particular paper though.

Someone in my school (who eventually got a D in AH Maths I think) guessed it all and just managed a gold, thankfully below my score. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I cared because I thrashed my friend who's off to Cambridge to study maths :p:
    haha. That would be quite satisfying. I was never clever enough to get an award. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I *barely* got over the Gold pass line by like 2 marks, my performance seems to get worse over the years. :o: I knew I made a few very stupid mistakes on that particular paper though.

Someone in my school (who eventually got a D in AH Maths I think) guessed it all and just managed a gold, thankfully below my score. :p:
    They guessed it all? Surely they must have done some of them properly, the odds aren't that great for doing anything apart from breaking even with guessing!

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

Gold? 3 years?

:awesome:

100% in AH Maths + Gold 3 years running ... :eek:

You are my Mathematical Idol now. :sigh:

Any tips? :awesome:
    :o: My scores in the Maths Challenge and other non-SQA mathsy things are hardly spectacular and they are a better measure of one's "real" maths ability. However that might be because I didn't put as much preparation into them as I have liked.

Just make sure you practise lots until you can do the questions in your sleep, then try and get different types of problem questions (even though they don't come up in the exam that much) because they test your ability to adapt what you've learnt. Sort of like improving sight-reading skills in music. You can leave the latter part of that out if you just want to pass the exam :p:

ReputationRep:
    They guessed it all? Surely they must have done some of them properly, the odds aren't that great for doing anything apart from breaking even with guessing!
    He was just very lucky that particular day :mad: Either that, or he's a hidden maths genius.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.