Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Blasphemy. :eek: :eek: :eek: Just because you don't like Mathematics doesn't mean no one cares about it. It's such a beautiful subject, I've discovered. :yep:
    who says I don't like maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    He was just very lucky that particular day :mad: Either that, or he's a hidden maths genius.
    The chances would improve if he got the first few questions and then guessed the rest. Most of the first few are usually fairly easy!

haha, my friend is adamant it's not a test of your true maths ability, just arithmetic :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    The chances would improve if he got the first few questions and then guessed the rest. Most of the first few are usually fairly easy!

haha, my friend is adamant it's not a test of your true maths ability, just arithmetic :p:
    For the first few questions maybe but as they get harder they require you to think creatively using the knowledge you've been taught (sort of like a mini-STEP) and that's true maths ability in my book.

Unfortunately I seem to be pretty lacking in that aspect so that's perhaps why I'm not destined to do maths :p:

ReputationRep:
    For the first few questions maybe but as they get harder they require you to think creatively using the knowledge you've been taught (sort of like a mini-STEP) and that's true maths ability in my book.

Unfortunately I seem to be pretty lacking in that aspect so that's perhaps why I'm not destined to do maths :p:
    Haha, that's what I tell him :p:

He did STEP and I didn't though so I guess he has the edge now!

ReputationRep:
    Ssh, the amount of maths I've seen you and two other's do on here is mind boggling don't be so harsh on yourself. :p:

ReputationRep:
    All these fooking Emma Watson PMs.

Anybody who wants to see what the PMs say..visit my profile :sigh:
    For a moment there I thought I was looking at a thread from a certain chan board...

Anyone else been neglecting the gym and mindlessly watching three episodes of Family Guy in a row instead? :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    guess what i'm eating :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    if you keep that 3 times a week thing up you should get pretty good results. i didn't do anywhere near that much per week but crammed before the prelims and the exams and did fine.

another thing to note is sometimes the course can appear quite easy but when you start having to apply the course to problems in the exams it can get a bit tricky.
    Well, we were all given past papers/textbooks/course guides, all paid for by our bursarys, the science/maths past papers have been quite good. What % of the paper is made up of C Level questions in chem, btw?

I got 21 for my first essay on Carrie in english and 38/50 for a close reading God must have been on my side that day, I'll never have that burst of englishyness again. :teehee:

Chemistry. is. a. doddle. I wish I would study it at uni.

Human biology; :rolleyes: :yep:

Psychology :love: I'm really glad I took this :teehee:

Maths: :awesome: I went in late and we were doing some crap about compound interest, and my brain just kinda refused to do maths :mmm: But overall, quite easy.

So yea, trust me to go in expecting everything to be stressful and I'd fail on the first week bla bla bla lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Anyone else been neglecting the gym and mindlessly watching three episodes of Family Guy in a row instead? :o:
    oui.

Blasphemy. :eek: :eek: :eek: Just because you don't like Mathematics doesn't mean no one cares about it. It's such a beautiful subject, I've discovered. :yep:
    EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

Please, please explain this to me.

And none of this "because it's one of the few things we can be certain of in life" rubbish :p: Death and taxes aren't beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

And none of this "because it's one of the few things we can be certain of in life" rubbish :p: Death and taxes aren't beautiful.
    Omg, :love: My fellow mathematical anti-christ.

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    oui.
    What's more fun, pounding a treadmill with dance music blasting into your ears or watching Brian singing "Peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time!" while dressed as a banana, shaking his maracas? :beard:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What's more fun, pounding a treadmill with dance music blasting into your ears or watching Brian singing "Peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time!" while dressed as a banana, shaking his maracas? :beard:
    dance music = :no:

(Original post by LuhLah)
    Omg, :love: My fellow mathematical anti-christ.
    Hell yeah!!

(Original post by Kirsteneg)
    dance music = :no:
    I don't mean uber-ned rave music, rather something like a Madonna remix or just remixes in general :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't mean uber-ned rave music, rather something like a Madonna remix or just remixes in general :yep:
    remixes = :no:

mostly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Well, we were all given past papers/textbooks/course guides, all paid for by our bursarys, the science/maths past papers have been quite good. What % of the paper is made up of C Level questions in chem, btw?

I got 21 for my first essay on Carrie in english and 38/50 for a close reading God must have been on my side that day, I'll never have that burst of englishyness again. :teehee:

Chemistry. is. a. doddle. I wish I would study it at uni.
    not sure what % is made up of C Level questions. i would think about 50-60% but i'm not sure. you should consider studying it at university over your other choices if you're enjoying it that much and finding it easy.

well done on the english marks. a 21/25 essay is fantastic given you've just started the course.

It is a subject whose equations can elude generations and decades of great mathematicians then an amateur can come along and solve some of the greatest equations.
    So?

It is a subject which even after years of study can never be fully understood.
    So why bother? :awesome: Nah, jokez, but how does that make it beautiful? Because it's mysterious and holds answers which we may never discover?

It forms the basis for chemistry, biology and physics.
    But isn't beautiful.

Mathematics > English. Yes, I said it.

vs.

A woman's face with Nature's own hand painted
    Hast thou, the master-mistress of my passion;
    A woman's gentle heart, but not acquainted
    With shifting change, as is false women's fashion;
    An eye more bright than theirs, less false in rolling,
    Gilding the object whereupon it gazeth;
    A man in hue, all 'hues' in his controlling,
    Much steals men's eyes and women's souls amazeth.
    And for a woman wert thou first created;
    Till Nature, as she wrought thee, fell a-doting,
    And by addition me of thee defeated,
    By adding one thing to my purpose nothing.
    But since she prick'd thee out for women's pleasure,
    Mine be thy love and thy love's use their treasure.

ReputationRep:
    EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

problem solving is satisfying. there is not alot of things better than sitting with a good maths question for 15mins and thinking how?! and then the strategy to solve the question just comes to you immediately.

like ape said, maths > english. whilst mathematicians will be helping the world advance, those english folk will still be arguing if hamlet was truly mad and at what points in the play was he mad. :p:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.