Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by Dado Prso)
    problem solving is satisfying. there is not alot of things better than sitting with a good maths question for 15mins and thinking how?! and then the strategy to solve the question just comes to you immediately.

like ape said, maths > english. whilst mathematicians will be helping the world advance, those english folk will still be arguing if hamlet was truly mad and at what points in the play was he mad. :p:
    Fry: "We can spend a lifetime trying to uncover the mysteries of the universe, but we will never begin to understand the mysteries of the human heart." :coma:

I know what you mean though, the floodgates opened for me in a maths exam once and I thought "YES! YES, I'M NOT HOPELESS!! " That was a beautiful moment, indeed

ReputationRep:
    Ape is completely right.

Both cab be beautiful in my opinion, but Maths also has the advantage of being practical! Not that I think doing English is less worthy a pursuit

*universe explodes*

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I'm not going to have a argument with you on why your opinion is that of "Mathematics isn't beautiful, my ever-dominating subject, English is."

If you don't understand why Mathematics is beautiful and if you don't like Mathematics then you simply won't understand why it is beautiful. It is as simple as that. That is your perspective.
    Respect.

I would like to be good at maths, for the record. Would make my life a lot easier. But I'd still rather be good at English than Maths, though.

Where are you applying this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.
    Would you accept that there is literature which is beautiful in its own right, and not solely because of its content? For example, I would contend that a description of a scene can beautiful, regardless of the beauty of the scene portrayed.

The beauty of mathematics is akin to that.

EDIT: I need to stop starting to reply and only actually finishing it like a quarter-hour later.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use that example. Try:
    e^{i\pi}+1=0

And here's the justification.

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    Ape is completely right.

Both cab be beautiful in my opinion, but Maths also has the advantage of being practical! Not that I think doing English is less worthy a pursuit

*universe explodes*
    Maths is certainly needed for advancing technology, but English is absolutely essential for everybody. In terms of respectability, they are equal imo. Having said that however, not everyone needs to know how to analyse Shakespeare. Nor do they need to know trigonometry (thank God!).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Is this a debate as to whether english or maths is better. That's a no-brainer :rofl: hahahaha

(Original post by ukdragon37)
    I wouldn't use that example. Try:
    e^{i\pi}+1=0

And here's the justification.
    Holy hell. :eek: That guy really knew his ****.

No disrespect to you maths folk whatsoever. Maths saves lives, after all.

How does one put text at the top of a spoiler, rather than it just saying spoiler?

ReputationRep:
    Holy hell. :eek: That guy really knew his ****.
    List of topics named after Leonhard Euler

ReputationRep:
    How does one put text at the top of a spoiler, rather than it just saying spoiler?
    [expand="Your title here"]More text[/expand]

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    List of topics named after Leonhard Euler
    Would you consider him to be a genius? :eek:

I would be SO intimidated by him. :afraid:

Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty — a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_beauty
    I find it beautiful that someone can be so eloquent when articulating something that they love so much in such powerful language.

ReputationRep:
    Only person missing from Page 283 was namedeprived

Namedeprived! Where are thou?
    Hmnn?

Your title here
    More text
    Bless you.

You didn't answer my other question.

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider him to be a genius? :eek:
    :p: Euler is widely considered to be a strong contender for the greatest mathematician in history.

:p: Euler is widely considered to be a strong contender for the greatest mathematician in history.
    Yes, but could he crash AH Maths? :beard:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    From an unbiased spectrum I can see the qualities in both English and Maths; the achievement from solving a difficult problem to exploring a text and discovering true meaning is great. I like how they both start off with the basics of letters and numbers and can end up as pieces of 'art' in many different shapes and forms.

Earth Science/Geography, now that's beautiful subjects. :p:

ReputationRep:
    ohmygod

I'm so upset, saw akl my freinds and got a big hug before I left

WAAHHH

I dont wanto go anymore

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.