Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    I think you will appreciate this Arcadia

A poet once said "The whole universe is in a glass of wine." We will probably never know in what sense he meant that, for poets do not write to be understood. But it is true that if we look at a glass closely enough we see the entire universe. There are the things of physics: the twisting liquid which evaporates depending on the wind and weather, the reflections in the glass, and our imaginations adds the atoms. The glass is a distillation of the Earth's rocks, and in its composition we see the secret of the universe's age, and the evolution of the stars. What strange array of chemicals are there in the wine? How did they come to be? There are the ferments, the enzymes, the substrates, and the products. There in wine is found the great generalization: all life is fermentation. Nobody can discover the chemistry of wine without discovering, as did Louis Pasteur, the cause of much disease. How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the consciousness that watches it! If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass of wine, this universe, into parts — physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology, and so on — remember that Nature does not know it! So let us put it all back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for. Let it give us one more final pleasure: drink it and forget it all!

Richard Feynman

(Original post by Meteorshower)
    I think you will appreciate this Arcadia

A poet once said "The whole universe is in a glass of wine." We will probably never know in what sense he meant that, for poets do not write to be understood. But it is true that if we look at a glass closely enough we see the entire universe. There are the things of physics: the twisting liquid which evaporates depending on the wind and weather, the reflections in the glass, and our imaginations adds the atoms. The glass is a distillation of the Earth's rocks, and in its composition we see the secret of the universe's age, and the evolution of the stars. What strange array of chemicals are there in the wine? How did they come to be? There are the ferments, the enzymes, the substrates, and the products. There in wine is found the great generalization: all life is fermentation. Nobody can discover the chemistry of wine without discovering, as did Louis Pasteur, the cause of much disease. How vivid is the claret, pressing its existence into the consciousness that watches it! If our small minds, for some convenience, divide this glass of wine, this universe, into parts — physics, biology, geology, astronomy, psychology, and so on — remember that Nature does not know it! So let us put it all back together, not forgetting ultimately what it is for. Let it give us one more final pleasure: drink it and forget it all!

Richard Feynman
    That guy was quite clearly an alcoholic, but a smart one at that. :p: Thanks.

(Original post by rosie9391)
    Earth Science/Geography, now that's beautiful subjects. :p:

Win.

I mean, the Earth has its very own fireworks display.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    ohmygod

I'm so upset, saw akl my freinds and got a big hug before I left

WAAHHH

I dont wanto go anymore
    :hugs:

You'll be making tons of new friends over the next week, depending on how sober you are :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wish biology had beauty in it :sad: But nooo it's all bugs, smelly plants, blood & guts, disease...etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    :hugs:

You'll be making tons of new friends over the next week, depending on how sober you are :p:
    I knoww but it's still depresing
    :hugs
    I'm a bit drunk tm but I need to be to get to sleep tonight because if i don't get sleep tonight then i will be a grumpy *******

omg, i';m so scared

I apprecate the comfort though luhlah :love:

ReputationRep:
    I wish biology had beauty in it :sad: But nooo it's all bugs, smelly plants, blood & guts, disease...etc.
    IT DOES!

What is more beutiful than a living being comming together in complete perfectness to crete living thing

nothing more beutiful tan that lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    IT DOES!

What is more beutiful than a living being comming together in complete perfectness to crete living thing

nothing more beutiful tan that lol
    True. And all the fluffy bunnies...

But, after looking at this in biology, I wanted to puke.
    Spoiler:
    Show

OMG THE EMPTY SPACE AHHHH

ReputationRep:
    True. And all the fluffy bunnies...

But, after looking at this in biology, I wanted to puke.
    Spoiler:
    Show

:p:

I find beauty in cells and protein and DNA :p:

Of course, true beauty is in a perfectly constucted argument :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I knoww but it's still depresing
    :hugs
    I'm a bit drunk tm but I need to be to get to sleep tonight because if i don't get sleep tonight then i will be a grumpy *******

omg, i';m so scared

I apprecate the comfort though luhlah :love:
    You'll be fine luv. Just remember to talk to people when you're there, and all your worries will kinda deflate Plus, can't you get them by msn/mobile?

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine luv. Just remember to talk to people when you're there, and all your worries will kinda deflate Plus, can't you get them by msn/mobile?
    Lol yeah I know I should..

nd yeah i'm not oing to stop texting my friends lol, ill probably hide my phone so I have to socialize with others xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)

Win.

I mean, the Earth has its very own fireworks display.
    Yeah, my personal favourite is the beauty behind the power of Ice:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    ... I think Rosie just owned the thread.

ReputationRep:
    time for

:zomg: IM MOVING TO UNI TODAY AHHH!!

ReputationRep:
    ... I think Rosie just owned the thread.

...but I think my ass is about to be beaten at geo challenge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    time for

:zomg: IM MOVING TO UNI TODAY AHHH!!
    Have a great time, you'll love it...just be yourself and make the most out of the opportunities that arise. :yep:

:eek: That mean's it's a week and I'll be moving to big old Aberdeen!

ReputationRep:

...but I think my ass is about to be beaten at geo challenge
    Credit where it's due - you're the closest one here to reaching half my score

The unbeliever is catching you up though I think!

ReputationRep:
    Have a great time, you'll love it...just be yourself and make the most out of the opportunities that arise. :yep:

:eek: That mean's it's a week and I'll be moving to big old Aberdeen!
    A whole week i'm jealous :p:

lol aaaah!

I hope I get some sleep lol, but i;m really hungry and I never sleep when I'm hungry

ReputationRep:
    amaretto

: :X

ReputationRep:
    Credit where it's due - you're the closest one here to reaching half my score

The unbeliever is catching you up though I think!
    Yeah that's what I was meaning...dam Unbeliever, there wasn't even a warning. Your just too good, there is not a hope in hell in beating your score! *get's back to improving city blitz score* :p:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.