Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    I might be going to my ex primary school to teach Spanish for an hour a week! :woo:
    Andddd I'm helping out in an Access class, and probably first/second year French
    I've learned a new French word today, "teindre" Where did you get that quote from?

I tried to start leaarning Spanish a few weeks ago, then gave up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    I get to wear my groovy wee nurses uniform
    :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Ape: you should try get your hands on Cosmos by Giles Sparrow. You'd love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Just like you will give up AH Maths ...
    Lol, no chance matey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Do you think that...since the exam pass rate was so high this year...that...they will make 'em harder this year? :lolwut: :lolwut: I hope they don't make the exams hard like the old SEB exams, even the SEB standard grades were hard
    the exam pass rates weren't that much higher this year were they? i think higher english passes were up a couple of percent and higher maths passes were down a couple of percent. i

what are SEB exams? i went back to about 2001 in maths past papers and i didn't find them any harder than current ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    the exam pass rates weren't that much higher this year were they? i think higher english passes were up a couple of percent and higher maths passes were down a couple of percent. i

what are SEB exams? i went back to about 2001 in maths past papers and i didn't find them any harder than current ones.
    Scottish Examination Board, before the SQA was formed, or perhaps just changed it's name, I'm not sure. They were known as 'O' Grade exams (Ordinary Grade) and I can attest to the fact, at least in certain subjects, they were a fair bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait till the prelims. Can't wait.

So far, AH Maths has been piss easy. Integration is a joke yet thoroughly enjoyable.
    It's not been too bad actually you're right. I found differentiatin a fair bit easier than integration actually. Wouldn't quite say it's been "piss easy" though.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would any enjambment be used? Are we not old enough now to keep things to one line? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)

The SEB exams exams were basically the old Higher Grade/CYCS exams (and o-grades, which were replaced by the sgs). You would obviously not find them harder because the current exam system was introduced in 2000, or before that. Due to the low pass rates, they had to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    It's not been too bad actually you're right. I found differentiatin a fair bit easier than integration actually. Wouldn't quite say it's been "piss easy" though.
    Only I get to call it piss easy because i've already done it :p:

Also i've done higher and advanced higher maths equivalents going back to the 60's. In my opinion, maths hasn't gotten easier on the whole over the years.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait till the prelims. Can't wait.

So far, AH Maths has been piss easy. Integration is a joke yet thoroughly enjoyable.
    Which bit of integration have you got to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)

Also i've done higher and advanced higher maths equivalents going back to the 60's. In my opinion, maths hasn't gotten easier on the whole over the years.
    But that's maths. Subjects like English and History were much harder.

ReputationRep:
    Languages, well at least French, were difficult. The O Grade Paper was just as hard, if not harder than the current higher paper, but there didn't appear to be much of a step up at all from O grade to Higher. Oh and you didn't get a dictionary either. Can't say there looked to be too much of a jump in Maths though.

On the subject of Maths, I was a geek and got two books out of the library today about Maths. Didn't seem to have any of the ones I've seen mentioned on the Maths forum, or the TSR wiki article that has been floating about, but I'm reading "Why do buses come along in threes?, the hidden mathematics of everyday life" which is quite interesting, even if not deeply mathematical.

ReputationRep:
    But that's maths. Subjects like English and History were much harder.
    I've seen old English higher papers aswell and i'm not convinced they are that much harder. The format has changed considerably over the years, and I think that tends to lead people to artificial over-estimates of past difficulty (unfamiliar format/analysing skills you haven't been used to using) Chemistry has had periods of fluctuation with difficulty, around 2000 the papers seemed a fair bit harder but some earlier than that not so. Physics I can't really find a pattern, doesn't seem that much worse in the past. I don't buy that SYS/pre higher still highers were all that much worse across the board.

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of Maths books, I'm currently reading;

Fundamentals of University Mathematics
    Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
    Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers
    A History of Mathematics
    Fundametals of University Mathematics? :eek:

Are you actually reading this, or just looking at the pretty pictures?:rolleyes:

Joking.:p:

ReputationRep:
    We did definite and indefinite and the substitution and some other.

This is the bit where you say "that was the easy integration, now comes the hard bit" isn't it? :sigh:
    Well, integration by parts is slightly trickier :p:

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of Maths books, I'm currently reading;

Fundamentals of University Mathematics
    Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
    Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers
    A History of Mathematics
    How on earth do you manage that plus all the AH's/Highers and have time to come on here!? :p:

ReputationRep:
    We did definite and indefinite and the substitution and some other.

This is the bit where you say "that was the easy integration, now comes the hard bit" isn't it? :sigh:
    Have you done the (inverse) trigonometry differentiation/integration yet?

ReputationRep:
    The SEB exams exams were basically the old Higher Grade/CYCS exams (and o-grades, which were replaced by the sgs). You would obviously not find them harder because the current exam system was introduced in 2000, or before that. Due to the low pass rates, they had to change it.
    i see. if anyone has any links to SEB exams for maths, physics or chemistry then i'd be interested to see them.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think the differentiation/integration of inverse trig functions was in the first Unit?

ReputationRep:
    Did 2 poems final drafts yesterday. Finished my third "epic" poem a few hours ago. Currently doing Higher Modern Studies essay on the powers (checks and balances) of the president aka separation of powers.

Just refresh the page to check quotes :awesome:
    I wonder how long you'll last at that rate. :p: Good on you for having the determination to do it. :yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.