Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Unlucky! There's always next year, huh?
    Yeh, but I have to get a first though for the best chance of success, which is easier said than done I'd presume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    As for tips, memorising what you do and what formulas you use isn't enough. You have to actually sit down and understand what is happening. You have to understand why things are and how things fit together.

That may sound vague. :awesome:

But during the "Circles" section, my paragraph will make a lot of sense.
    I'm so going to fail, lol. What are the essential topics from sg credit that I should know for higher? I have a textbook that covers the int 2 and credit courses here so I thought I'd learn 'em up.

Seriously? Abertay has a yucky reputation. Even though employers are not allowed to say this but they would pick Dundee graduates over Abertay any day :mad: :mad: :mad: .

Abertays just a tech college that got upgraded to a university whereas Dundee is hundreds of years old.

Ah well
    Well, be a dear and search for biomedical science at dundee (that is accredited by the IMBS), I have to go to Human Biology now :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    the notes ape linked to seem very good. you should be looking forward to the challenge to be honest, it is a good logical course.
    I suppose. But, how many other sane people attempt Higher Maths without a good credit/Int 2 grade?

But; nothing is offical. I could possibly stay at int 2 and be bored out my tits, or zoom up to higher where I'll have breakdowns everyday :gah:

ReputationRep:
    World's biggest let-down in a news report (on deaths due to drinking):

"And what if we take two contrasting areas? [Maryhill and Bearsden] You'd expect the figures to be heavily weighted towards the poorer area.... Well, they are."

Uh, great build up there. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? Abertay has a yucky reputation. Even though employers are not allowed to say this but they would pick Dundee graduates over Abertay anyday. Bit of a sweeping generalisation there!
    Abertays just a tech college that got upgraded to a university whereas Dundee is hundreds of years old. Not so. Was est. 1881 as part of St Andrew's; became independent entity in 1867. Hardly HUNDREDS of years old. And if you're going to start decrying, then what about Napier? UWS (at Paisley)? Queen Margaret!?! Glasgow Caledonian? Robert Gordon's? None of these is any older than Abertay. Or let's go back a mere ten years or so earlier: Strathclyde? Heriot Watt?

As for tips, memorising what you do and what formulas you use isn't enough. Oh yes it can be. You have to actually sit down and understand what is happening. You have to understand why things are and how things fit together. Not true - any maths tutor will tell you it can be just a case of practice from past papers 'til you can do it in your sleep.
    And which establishment of repute are you bound for next year?
    How are the self-taught coures going, incidentally?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all
    How are yous this fine evening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    I'm great, thanks. With the possible exception of starting a relationship just as I'm about to leave for university! What about yourself - how's your course going?

ReputationRep:
    Hello all
    ello
    Not bad thanks, rather excited for university now! :excited:

Hows you? Have you been up too much today?

ReputationRep:
    With the possible exception of starting a relationship just as I'm about to leave for university!
    That's good news, will she be going to the same uni as you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm great, thanks. With the possible exception of starting a relationship just as I'm about to leave for university! What about yourself - how's your course going?
    Oooh, check you. I could do with a bit of love in my life :rolleyes:
    I'm good. Course is fab, really enjoying it

(Original post by rosie9391)
    ello
    Not bad thanks, rather excited for university now! :excited:

Hows you? Have you been up too much today?
    Oooh, how long to go now? Have you given up your job in Tesco? Does that mean there are vacencies? :p: I want your job dammit! Haha. Not much really, just college, homework, bath etc... :p: You?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, how long to go now? Have you given up your job in Tesco? Does that mean there are vacencies? :p: I want your job dammit! Haha. Not much really, just college, homework, bath etc... :p: You?
    3 DAYS! :eek: Finished with Tesco on Sunday but I'm going to ask if I could perhaps come back at Christmas. There are spaces actually, pop in and check, on the staffroom notice board I seen four going and they've just lost at least 9 members of staff.

Cool cool, not much apart from looking out uni things and a friend popped round for a visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonie No)
    I think for higher maths there is more than just learning the formulas (if you're aiming for an A/B) and that you do need to understand them properly to be able to apply them to a variety of questions you may meet in the exam.

agreed with the university stuff though. far too many people on this forum seem to think that when university a > university b, all employers will only employ those from university a and not take anything else into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    I've learned a new French word today, "teindre" Where did you get that quote from?

I tried to start leaarning Spanish a few weeks ago, then gave up.
    I got it from Josh Groban's "Hymne A L'Amour" which I think Edith Piaf sang originally :yep:

I love Spanish :woo: I tried to start learning Italian and gave up on that though lol.

ReputationRep:
    That's good news, will she be going to the same uni as you?
    She's in the year below, so she's not heading to uni this year.

ReputationRep:
    Wewt, I'm moving into the Human Bio day class :woo: Apparently I've missed a lot of the first unit, and an expierment thingy as I've been doing unit 2 with the night class :teehee:

But ugh @ the amount of homework D: I have to revise the straight line, unit 1 in human bio prolly, my personal reflective for english and a critical essay on some weird story about this woman called Meg who basically watches her children faulter one by one, revision for mai chemistry NAB and a summary of development approches for psychology.

ReputationRep:
    She's in the year below, so she's not heading to uni this year.
    Trust something great to happen just now, will you opt for a long distance relationship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonie No)
    P'wnd lol

Have you ever done the short story "Smeddum" with your H English class?

ReputationRep:
    Trust something great to happen just now, will you opt for a long distance relationship?
    We're going to try, yes. Cambridge has short terms, and we're actually very old friends, so that might help.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly, did you happen to glaze over dados reply?
    Shoosh j00 :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    I think for higher maths there is more than just learning the formulas (if you're aiming for an A/B) and that you do need to understand them properly to be able to apply them to a variety of questions you may meet in the exam.

Anecdotal evidence only: when my firstborn did his, he said he only got his A through relentless practice; within weeks he could not have replicated the performance. Friends in S6 asked for help, and he could only recall bits and pieces. Ask any maths teacher who tutors.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.