Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    P'wnd lol

Have you ever done the short story "Smeddum" with your H English class?
    Yes - but just as an intro to the 'speak' and setting of Sunset Song.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ape Gone Insane]Wrong. It is not a generalisation, every single one of my teachers said the same thing. All of them from either Abertay or Dundee. Oh well then, if every single one of your teachers says it, it MUST be true...

No, it can't be. If you think memorising formulas is enough for Higher Maths ... you have to KNOW where a circles midpoint is in relation to another circles midpoint...only then do you apply the correct formula. See my reply to dado.

As for the self-taught courses, they are great. I dropped AH Mechanics due to the "Physics" aspect of it. As for Maths tutors, they all agreed that past papers aren't enough especially after the 2009 exam. See above

I rest my case. Me too.[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    We're going to try, yes. Cambridge has short terms, and we're actually very old friends, so that might help.
    I know how it is, mate. In a very similar situation (well, almost identical). The eternal struggle between heart and mind... I'm sure you'll strike a nice enough balance in there somehow. Good luck -- with Cambs, and the girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonie No)
    Anecdotal evidence only: when my firstborn did his, he said he only got his A through relentless practice; within weeks he could not have replicated the performance. Friends in S6 asked for help, and he could only recall bits and pieces. Ask any maths teacher who tutors.
    I still think the majority who go through the course not understanding everything then doing as many past papers as possible at the end are far more likely to end up with B/Cs. If you look at most maths past papers there is usually a few questions which haven't come up in any shape at all before and these are the questions which differentiate the candidates who understand the course and those that know all the common exam questions and how to answer them.

I think if I were to ask a maths teacher who tutored they'd probably tell me past papers are essential and can boost your mark but they don't guarantee an A/B at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    I still think the majority who go through the course not understanding everything then doing as many past papers as possible at the end are far more likely to end up with B/Cs. If you look at most maths past papers there is usually a few questions which haven't come up in any shape at all before and these are the questions which differentiate the candidates who understand the course and those that know all the common exam questions and how to answer them.

I think if I were to ask a maths teacher who tutored they'd probably tell me past papers are essential and can boost your mark but they don't guarantee an A/B at all.
    I agree with you there, I found it hard to understand where a lot of things came from and the A grade questions I just couldn't seem to grasp since it was more thinking out the box sort of thing. My teachers also told me that past papers were a definite grade booster but it all comes down to a general understanding at the end.

ReputationRep:
    I see there is conflict in this universe, I have come back to resolve it!

Nonie No is correct, it's definitely possible to get an A in higher maths just from rote learning/memorising crap. It's much easier to get it by understanding, but it's definitely possible otherwise. For the record I think it's much better to try and understand the concepts, but nothing beats cramming and rote learning when the exam is imminent

Congratulations Unbeliever! I hope it works out with you two

Edit - Ape, anecdotal evidence is more powerful for citing a counterexample than for trying to prove something isn't possible. It's not hypocritical at all.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Meteorshower! How's the mainland suiting you?

ReputationRep:
    Argh...stupid packing, one of my boxes fell through at the bottom!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    Argh...stupid packing, one of my boxes fell through at the bottom!!
    I've been relying on these big sort of plastic stacking boxes which are fairly rugged. Any chance of picking some of them up (they're not too price - maybe £7 for an 85 litre one) for the heavier things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Of course Nonie No is correct, you oppose me in every matter. :rolleyes:

Really upset today :sad: and not in the mood for arguments ... so please ...
    Aww why? :console:

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is applying to Oxford
    Welcome to the club. Membership is non-negotiable.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is applying to Oxford
    You should be happy for her! And you can try applying yourself! A long-distance relationship might not be that bad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    I've been relying on these big sort of plastic stacking boxes which are fairly rugged. Any chance of picking some of them up (they're not too price - maybe £7 for an 85 litre one) for the heavier things?
    That would be worth while actually plus extra storage, thanks. I've got so much crap and I keep on getting distracted with things that I haven't seen for a while. :p:

ReputationRep:

I am, extremely proud. However, you can't blame me for being selfish. Really? Think about it..it's over 500 miles away for 3/4 years.

Most times. LDRs don't work. And she isn't some random current girlfriend. She defines me without sounding too cheesy :awesome:

As for me applying....pahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No chance.
    Is Dundee her second choice? If it is then that's a terrible situation to be in. No doubt a (small) part of you wishes for her not to get into Oxford...

ReputationRep:

I am, extremely proud. However, you can't blame me for being selfish. Really? Think about it..it's over 500 miles away for 3/4 years.

Most times. LDRs don't work. And she isn't some random current girlfriend. She defines me without sounding too cheesy :awesome:

As for me applying....pahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No chance.
    Just think it's more than a year away so just enjoy the time you have just now.

Did anyone go to the Higher Education Convention at Aberdeen today?

I didn't go to the open day a few weeks ago, so I hadn't seen the University up close until today. I was impressed with what I saw though. I was expecting it to be really manky and crap, but was pleasantly surprised.

Got a truck load of freebies too

ReputationRep:
    A big part of me wishes she won't get in :awesome: :eek: :sigh:

Dundee is her 4th choice. :sigh:

She told me it would be her dream to get into Harvard or Yale and I was like WTF and she still has one choice free :eek:
    Well so it doesn't matter anyway whether she applied to Oxford or not then! You'll most likely end up with a LDR regardless. You should just lighten up and be happy for her in this case.

C'est la vie :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm selfish, aren't I? :p:
    No. Also, I totally understand how you feel about not wanting her to get in -- the conflict between wanting someone you love to reach their potential, and wanting them to stay as close to you as possible... isn't an easy one. It's the same one (in a different context) that parents feel when their child leaves home, I suppose.

I agree with the thing about bearing in mind it's a year off and cherishing the time you have now... but I also relate to what you said about having these things stuck in your mind for the longest time and being unable to shake them off... I'm the same. Ultimately, maybe there isn't any way to sugar-coat it or mitigate the possible outcomes... it's a time for strong will, Ape.

ReputationRep:
    LDR don't last, look at Meteorshower as a recent example.

:sigh:

I'm selfish, aren't I? :p:
    Not always, no, but they can, if you are close enough to meet up at weekends it would. They are still going to be friends, at least that's something positive.

You're not selfish but it probably is a hard decision for her going too, she won't want you dwelling on something that hasn't even happened yet.

ReputationRep:

Oh well then, if your firstborn says it, it MUST be true...

Sort of hypocritical, isn't it?
    No. In my experience, absolutely, indisputably true.
    And in the old days, when I did mine (sans calculator, and actually USING logs) I did too! Rote learning; and I hadn't a clue. Got a pass though (B4).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.