The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5440
Nonie No
Yes - but just as an intro to the 'speak' and setting of Sunset Song.

Oh :erm: We were told that we could use Smeddum for the exam, :colondollar:. What do you think of the creative writing exam that's being added to Higher English?
Reply 5441
Ape Gone Insane
LDR don't last, look at Meteorshower as a recent example.

:sigh:

I'm selfish, aren't I? :p:

They weren't in an LDR...

Seriously, this is all hypothetical at the moment. Maybe she won't like Oxford. Maybe she won't get in. Maybe you'll decide against Dundee. At the end of the day, it's a long time away but everything will change in a year, regardless of wherever you both end up going. There is nothing you can do just now except support her through the application process.

Please just relax and enjoy the time you have, don't let it ruin 6th year. I've often thought about past times and how amazing they were and wish I'd appreciated them more:smile:
It's going to suck hard if she does get in, I don't think there's any way of getting around that. On the other hand, it's not quite as bad as 3 years apart - the terms mean you'll see each other for a month or two every couple of months. You're probably right in that LDRs don't work, in general, but you'll have a better idea of whether it might work out in this case.

On the other hand, this is all a little bit morose, since there's realistically a good (50-60% at least) chance that she won't get in (without knowing anything else about her, of course).

EDIT: I can't type today. :frown:
Reply 5443
Dado Prso
I still think the majority who go through the course not understanding everything then doing as many past papers as possible at the end are far more likely to end up with B/Cs. If you look at most maths past papers there is usually a few questions which haven't come up in any shape at all before and these are the questions which differentiate the candidates who understand the course and those that know all the common exam questions and how to answer them.

I think if I were to ask a maths teacher who tutored they'd probably tell me past papers are essential and can boost your mark but they don't guarantee an A/B at all.

At no point did I claim they would guarantee an A. All I said was that my son got an A by systematically going through the things. And Luhlah's original query did not allude to A passes. I am sure she'd be pefectly happy with a B:wink: Huh, Luhlah?

And, Luhlah, how is Ayr anyway? Was at Belmont myself. But now marooned as far away as it is possible to be. Possibly nearer Meteorshower's haunts than Ayr nowadays.
Reply 5444
LuhLah
Oh :erm: We were told that we could use Smeddum for the exam, :colondollar:. What do you think of the creative writing exam that's being added to Higher English?

It's entirely appropriate as an exam text. I just didn't want to plunge them straight into SS!
Ape Gone Insane
Heheh :p: :yep:

Tell me your story now. What's happening and where she going?

My situation is sort of a reversed version of yours -- some of the unis I've looked at are pretty far, whilst she's not planning to go further than Glasgow. She is truly the most important facet of my existence... alongside study. Therein lies the problem.

Is it worth going away to do a course I'd love at university I'd love, if it means being without the girl I love? Are my studies - which are, I can't dispute, a high priority of mine - important enough to go through the next few years completely miserable and alone (trust me, there'd be no replacement -- there is no replacement)? I've had 2 years of seeing her pretty much every single day. Her presence in my life is as natural as the air.

So, slightly different situation, but I relate to you on the basic ideas underpinning your quandary there... :smile: . I'm also ruling out a long-distance relationship, as you seem to; I need her... always, not just little parts of her now and then. That'd be masochistic. To top it off... I can't deny that part of me is disturbingly obsessive and jealous over every aspect of her being... to have her as a lost sheep thousands of miles away in a city of lowlifes... no, it won't do.

What can be said really? Life's a bitch!
Reply 5446
Nonie No
At no point did I claim they would guarantee an A. All I said was that my son got an A by systematically going through the things. And Luhlah's original query did not allude to A passes. I am sure she'd be pefectly happy with a B:wink: Huh, Luhlah?

And, Luhlah, how is Ayr anyway? Was at Belmont myself. But now marooned as far away as it is possible to be. Possibly nearer Meteorshower's haunts than Ayr nowadays.

I went to belmont for a year and then moved to queen margaret (2 mins walk from belmont, ever seen it?) :p: Ayr college is quite good though, but the town is dying :awesome:
Ape Gone Insane
Do you think a person could get into Oxford with the below, she got:

4th Year
1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2 and Higher French - A.

5th Year
Higher Maths - A
Higher English - A
Higher Physics - A
Higher Chemistry - A
Higher Biology - A
Advanced Higher French - A

6th Year
Advanced Higher Maths - Predicted A
Advanced Higher English - Predicted A
Advanced Higher Physics - Predicted A
Advanced Higher Biology - Pedicted B :awesome:
Advanced Higher Chemistry - Predicted B

Extra-circular being;

Club swimmer for 7 years (18 awards/trophies)
Duke of Edinburgh Gold
Scottish Baccalaureate
Violin playing for 8 years (4 awards)
Piano playing for 6 years (2 awards)
Teaching juniors swimming
Rotary Leadership award

That is an amazing record and probably alot of oxbridge applicants would have similar, remember it comes down to a good interview as well which can often let people down. You just don't know yet, try and think about the present and what you have now.
Ape Gone Insane
Do you think a person could get into Oxford with the below

Yes. Whether she will or not is down to subject choice, interview and subject-specific tests (e.g. LNAT).

Extra-circular being;

They really, really don't care about almost all of that unless she's applying for medicine. The Scottish Bac sounds promising though, if that's one of the new qualifications.
Reply 5449
Ape Gone Insane
Do you think a person could get into Oxford with the below, she got:

4th Year
1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2 and Higher French - A.

5th Year
Higher Maths - A
Higher English - A
Higher Physics - A
Higher Chemistry - A
Higher Biology - A
Advanced Higher French - A

6th Year
Advanced Higher Maths - Predicted A
Advanced Higher English - Predicted A
Advanced Higher Physics - Predicted A
Advanced Higher Biology - Pedicted B :awesome:
Advanced Higher Chemistry - Predicted B

Extra-circular being;

Club swimmer for 7 years (18 awards/trophies)
Duke of Edinburgh Gold
Scottish Baccalaureate
Violin playing for 8 years (4 awards)
Piano playing for 6 years (2 awards)
Teaching juniors swimming
Rotary Leadership award

PS. None of this is even slightly exaggerated. It's all exact.

I want to be one of those people who always seem to get a billion million As :huff:
Ape Gone Insane
She is applying for medicine.

Then I would suggest she has two problems.

1) Medicine competition is obscene. A friend with straight top grades (including 5 A1s and 1 A2 at Higher) and more than half a dozen prizes was rejected from Cambridge for medicine. He went on to get AAAA at AH + 2 mechanics NABs and the overall dux. I can't speak to his extracurricular activities, but my point is that it's much more than grades that matter.

2) Predicted B at chemistry isn't going to be a good thing, since chemistry's one of the most important subjects for medicine.

Nonetheless, she clearly has a stellar academic record. The first point is the same for every applicant, and I doubt the second would be a deal-breaker.
Nonie No

I believe I put A/B? I'm simply saying that you'll do better by really trying to understand things than just memorising formulas and strategies of common exam questions. Sure some will be able to do it with just memorising and doing as many past papers as possible but not everyone can.
Reply 5452
queen margaret (2 mins walk from belmont, ever seen it?) It was a new build when I was at school:frown: but the town is dying Yes - my folks still live there. It's all a bit down-at-heel, I'd have to admit.
Reply 5453
Ape Gone Insane
Can you imagine how embarrassing it was to get ABBC (She doesn't care about that sort of stuff which is great about her but still):sigh: LOL TSR is my only source of comfort :p:

:bawling:
Ape Gone Insane
Can you imagine how embarrassing it was to get ABBC (She doesn't care about that sort of stuff which is great about her but still):sigh: LOL TSR is my only source of comfort :p:

It's sometimes good to just let it all out. :yep: Yeah, I can imagine the embarrassment as I feel the same on here but it's awesome that she has done so well and can share that with you and doesn't care, it's who you are as a person.
Reply 5455
Nonie No
queen margaret (2 mins walk from belmont, ever seen it?) It was a new build when I was at school:frown: but the town is dying Yes - my folks still live there. It's all a bit down-at-heel, I'd have to admit.

Lol qma is a crumbling mess now. The two schools still fight...and Belmont was knocked down and rebuilt, it looks like a huge poly(styrene)-tin can.

Ayr smells :sad: I can't wait until I can move out LOL
don't see the problem with moving this thread to Chat assuming we're allowed to have 6th years + leavers :: chat thread V2 still in the scottish qualifications section.
Reply 5457
Ape Gone Insane
Moderation team said this thread would be moving to Chat AS WELL when it reached 10,000...unless a request for Chat Threads in here was approved by the mod team.

So I am currently putting forward a case to why there should be Chat Thread in Scottish Qualifications.

Tell them that since we're a sort of minority here, and noone in england really understands/cares about the scottish system.
Reply 5458
Ape Gone Insane
Look post #6099.

:spam: lol

Btw, the straightline stuff in the H Maths Unit 1 is quite easy, I've currently done distance formula, midpoint & gradient :awesome: But now looks like it's getting terribly complicated, lol.
Ape Gone Insane
Can't. When something enters my mind, it stays there. :sigh:

Word. Why are you "depressed" that you have a beautiful and intelligent girlfriend? She could be thick and ugly, or you could be alone :p:

(Why has this thread become solely for 6th years?)

By the way ...

I HAVE A JOB!!! :woo: I had an interview at TK Maxx on Sunday but didn't want to say anything in case I didn't get it, but - I GOT IT!! :biggrin: The manager called to tell me I'd been successful. First job interview and I got it!! So happy!!

Latest