Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Word. Why are you "depressed" that you have a beautiful and intelligent girlfriend? She could be thick and ugly, or you could be alone :p:

(Why has this thread become solely for 6th years?)

By the way ...

I HAVE A JOB!!! :woo: I had an interview at TK Maxx on Sunday but didn't want to say anything in case I didn't get it, but - I GOT IT!! The manager called to tell me I'd been successful. First job interview and I got it!! So happy!!

Congrats on the job

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE A JOB!!!
    Git.

First job interview and I got it!!
    Gitty gitty gitdrops.

:p: Congrats

(Original post by CallumFR)
    Congrats on the job
    Thank you!!!

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Git.

Gitty gitty gitdrops.

:p: Congrats
    :giggle: Thanks!

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Because of losing that special, "beautiful and intelligent" girlfriend.

PS. I bet they loved your excessive Stephen Fry quoting. :p:
    Awww ... Friendly sniping aside, you seem like such a nice person Your girlfriend is very lucky to have you.

FYI, I rambled on and on and used the word "polite" far too many times; I was nowhere near as eloquent as to quote Le Fry :awesome: But I'm reallllly happy though

ReputationRep:
    Who would have thought it..the Unbeliever has some love in his ol' disbelieving cold heart. :p:
    :p: Hushaby, you!

ReputationRep:
    Word. Why are you "depressed" that you have a beautiful and intelligent girlfriend? She could be thick and ugly, or you could be alone :p:

(Why has this thread become solely for 6th years?)

By the way ...

I HAVE A JOB!!! :woo: I had an interview at TK Maxx on Sunday but didn't want to say anything in case I didn't get it, but - I GOT IT!! The manager called to tell me I'd been successful. First job interview and I got it!! So happy!!
    :borat: :love:

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on the job Arcadia

ReputationRep:
    I HAVE A JOB!!!
    So jealous of you. Congratulations!
    Can you please spare me some of your magic-job-getting dust? I am in great need... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have returned from the darkness (well, south of Fife...) bearing solace and advice!

Ape, I was in a similar situation to you a little over a year ago. I wanted to apply to Edinburgh, or somewhere similar, and my ex girlfriend wanted to apply to Cambridge. Then we switched places, but that's not the point :p: I was worried about the end, even though it was more than a year away. But you do learn to repress that worry, especially when the relationship is going well. Just so long as you don't talk about it with her too much and don't dwell. You can't predict the future anyway, remember it's possible to be doing craploads of advanced highers and not get into Oxbridge.

Don't worry about it all until it gets to the point where you need to decide what to do. I personally see no point on discussing what will happen post-school until the time comes. If you set an expiry date, then you will just get miserable about it. If you decide you will continue no matter what, then it may be harder to end it if at that point in time you both feel it's necessary. My ex and I loved each other a lot, but we did have our problems that weren't just due to impending distance. Don't take what happened to me to mean LDR's can't last, because there are plenty of cases where they do. Enjoy your relationship while it's going well, and try not to think too hard about the future. Any further questions I'll be happy to answer Ape!

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'd forgotten quite the extent if of the accent around these parts...

ReputationRep:
    *Awkward silence continues*

Someone please, please say something controversial so everyone can jump on you and beat you verbally to death.

:awesome:

Getting into Harvard is much, much harder than getting into Oxford. Oxford is a walk in the PARK. :awesome: :awesome:
    In first year a guy in my school (he was Russian) got into a silly argument and blurted out that "Scotland is Gayland".

A few minutes later he got surrounded by a :mob: of neds and was backed onto a tree.

The result was not pretty

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, your controversy is tame...

So, homosexuality: mental illness or natural condition?

(please recognize that this is a joke!)

ReputationRep:
    It would work if there were any homosexuals in the thread ...
    So you're saying that it's perfectly alright to persecute minorities if they're not willing (or, in this case, able) to defend themselves?

First they came...

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, your controversy is tame...

So, homosexuality: mental illness or natural condition?

(please recognize that this is a joke!)
    It's more controversial if you use the false dichotomy of "mental illness or free choice".

It's clearly a natural condition, as it appears in nature :p: I wouldn't call homosexuality a mental illness though.

ReputationRep:
    That was very ... touching, Meteorshower. :p:

Thank you, those 2 paragraphs mean a lot to me. I'll just re-read them whenever I get depressed :awesome:

*awkward silence*

This is worse than when Arcadia called me a nice person. :awesome: :p:

And, LOL, that sounds awkward, "switched places"...wtf...how did that happen?
    No problem Ape!

Well, I ended up wanting to go to Cambridge and she Edinburgh :p: She had been to Cambridge to sail and didn't think it for her, whereas I went on a summer school and absolutely loved it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    It's more controversial if you use the false dichotomy of "mental illness or free choice".
    I considered it but decided that it was too easy to criticize. This way, there are fairly compelling arguments for both houses.

Sooo, you're implying that homosexuals are an illness because they are not common enough or that they aren't enough of them to be everywhere to defend themselves?
    I'm implying nothing at all. If I start debating sufficiently strongly to be adequately controversial, I don't think I'll remain awfully popular. :p:

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying that it's perfectly alright to persecute minorities if they're not willing (or, in this case, able) to defend themselves?

First they came...
    You love it when you get a chance to refer to that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    It's clearly a natural condition, as it appears in nature :p:
    Well, yes. However, without being obtuse, another meaning of 'natural' is 'normal'. The latter of which is very nicely technically defined by the DSM-IV, but I think the thrust of what I'm saying is quite clear!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.