Turn on thread page Beta

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    To be honest, I think that there's a very substantial extent to which corruption (be it casual bribery, 'old boys networks' or anything else) makes the world go round.
    That's the tory way

I jest :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie9391)
    I'm been listening to it non-stop on youtube. :p: I really enjoyed Exogenisis: Redemption but yeah the whole lot is pretty amazing! Unnatural Selection and Undisclosed Desires are my favs so far. I like how each album is different, it makes them more diverse from most and a lot of artists simply wouldn't be able to pull it off.
    I like unnatural selection, but I can't help feeling it could have been so much more. The bit with the distorted bass that is a bit slower, I can't help being reminding of Citizen Erased which has a fair cooler solo at the end of the quieter bit (the most ridiculous thing muse have ever done I reckon)

Undisclosed desires is so damn good I wont even try to convey that further with mere words :p:

ReputationRep:
    I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading. :sexface:
    What have you been reading that merits the use of the "sexface" smiley :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    What have you been reading that merits the use of the "sexface" smiley :p:
    :rofl: Austen's Emma. I couldn't find a book-reading smiley, okay?!

If I don't have mentoring/prefects/captaincy/peer mentoring to talk about on my Personal Statement, but things I've done relevant to the course, will I still get in? I'm just worried because I seem to be the only person in my year who hasn't won the Nobel Peace Prize or built a school in Nigeria. :rolleyes: BUT I've done charity work for India and anti-abortionist groups within the school :o:

ReputationRep:
    I like unnatural selection, but I can't help feeling it could have been so much more. The bit with the distorted bass that is a bit slower, I can't help being reminding of Citizen Erased which has a fair cooler solo at the end of the quieter bit (the most ridiculous thing muse have ever done I reckon)

Undisclosed desires is so damn good I wont even try to convey that further with mere words :p:
    From unnatural selection I got an essence of 'New Born' :p: Was slightly dissapointed with Guiding Light, it sounds too familiar and overdone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    If I don't have mentoring/prefects/captaincy/peer mentoring to talk about on my Personal Statement, but things I've done relevant to the course, will I still get in?
    Yes (or, to be more precise, I can't imagine that it would be to any measurable detriment of your application). Especially since you do have some things to talk about. Remember your personal statement should be primarily academic, and it's not very long to begin with!

Yes (or, to be more precise, I can't imagine that it would be to any measurable detriment of your application). Especially since you do have some things to talk about. Remember your personal statement should be primarily academic, and it's not very long to begin with!
    Thank God!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Thank God!!
    The total extent of my non-academic extracurricular activities mentioned in my personal statement: skiing, rowing and photography.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Austen's Emma. I couldn't find a book-reading smiley, okay?!
    So that was the next most natural thing? :p:

Yeah I love books too I haven't been reading anything as heavy as that recently, but reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist (every new undergraduate at St Andrews got sent a copy :cool: ) after a string of non fiction pop-sci books was quite refreshing!

ReputationRep:
    From unnatural selection I got an essence of 'New Born' :p: Was slightly dissapointed with Guiding Light, it sounds too familiar and overdone.
    Guiding light is one of my favourites :p: I didn't like it so much on first listen, but after a while I learnt to love it! It's a completely over the top piss take of 80's stadium anthems, and the solo is just soooo good

ReputationRep:
    So that was the next most natural thing? :p:
    Clearly. :p:

Yeah I love books too I haven't been reading anything as heavy as that recently, but reading The Reluctant Fundamentalist (every new undergraduate at St Andrews got sent a copy :cool: ) after a string of non fiction pop-sci books was quite refreshing!
    I'm not sure I'd call it heavy, as such. The vocabulary and structure are a bit more intricate than Twilight, granted, but it's not Finnegan's Wake! I'm also quite fond of Austen, which helps. But this is probably the first new fiction I've read outside of class since 2005 (another Austen - Jane Eyre).

I saw that Reluctant Fundamentalist gig - what's the thinking between giving it to all of the freshers, do you know?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I'd call it heavy, as such. The vocabulary and structure are a bit more intricate than Twilight, granted, but it's not Finnegan's Wake! I'm also quite fond of Austen, which helps. But this is probably the first new fiction I've read outside of class since 2005 (another Austen - Jane Eyre).
    Fair enough, i've never actually read any Austen :p:

I saw that Reluctant Fundamentalist gig - what's the thinking between giving it to all of the freshers, do you know?
    I think it's so whatever subject you're doing, we all be initially able to go to discussions about the book and academically mingle with all sorts :p:

The author is also coming fairly shortly to give a talk on it all. How successful it'll be - only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Guiding light is one of my favourites :p: I didn't like it so much on first listen, but after a while I learnt to love it! It's a completely over the top piss take of 80's stadium anthems, and the solo is just soooo good
    I can't help but think of My Chemical Romance with that song :p: but yeah maybe it will grow, I haven't really gave it a chance yet.

So what one do you least like? or are they all just soo awesome :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but think of My Chemical Romance with that song :p: but yeah maybe it will grow, I haven't really gave it a chance yet.

So what one do you least like? or are they all just soo awesome :p:
    I actually really dislike Uprising, I think it's dire compared to Muse's normal brilliance :p: Like seriously, by far the worst Muse song ever

Funnily enough when Matt yells "love is our resistaaaaaaaaaaaance" in... Resistance I get reminding of My Chemical Romance :p: They were supporting Muse in 2006 when I saw them funnily enough!

ReputationRep:
    I actually really dislike Uprising, I think it's dire compared to Muse's normal brilliance :p: Like seriously, by far the worst Muse song ever

Funnily enough when Matt yells "love is our resistaaaaaaaaaaaance" in... Resistance I get reminding of My Chemical Romance :p: They were supporting Muse in 2006 when I saw them funnily enough!
    Oh...that would be in my top 5 for this album, I think it's the catchy lyrics and a guitar solo three quarters of the way through that gets me going :p: however wouldn't have made it a single.

Ooh you've seen them live. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Oh...that would be in my top 5 for this album, I think it's the catchy lyrics and a guitar solo three quarters of the way through that gets me going :p: however wouldn't have made it a single.

Ooh you've seen them live. :awesome:
    That totally does not qualify as a solo :p:

Compare it to the one in guiding light, or exogenesis: overture. You can't, because there is no comparison!

I never thought Muse would go worse than Super Massive Black Hole (2nd worse song they've ever done... also a first single!) but yeah they did. The second worst song on the album I would say is Eurasia, and that is a really damn good song

I hope the B-sides are up to the usual standard. The remix of uprising is brilliant, far better than the actual song, but I'm still waiting on some decent B-sides! When you look at the past, with glorious, easily, fury, the groove, map of your head, hyperchondriac music etc...

ReputationRep:
    i actually really liked Super Massive Black Hole. But it became dominated by Twilight fan girls and I was put off it instantly.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I think it's great, but compared to everything else they've done (bar uprising) it's just not up to par.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.