Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

6th Years and Leavers :: Chat Thread #1 Watch

• View Poll Results: Highest Mark in the AH Maths Prelim :: YOUR BETS (Votes are public)
    namedeprived
    21.74%
    Ape Gone Insane [No one's going to vote for me ]
    26.09%
    Me, I take AH Maths!
    21.74%
    APE! You wasted your one chance of a poll...on THIS! NOOOOOO
    30.43%

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    You are Juliet and I am ... :awesome:

And, I have to disagree with you there, the best quote is:
    :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:
    Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind
    Shakespeare --> clearly gay.

How long does it take to run a mile? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Shakespeare --> clearly gay.

How long does it take to run a mile? :eek3:
    what speed ya running at :teeth:

I refuse to accept that unless you have asked the man himself and he has confirmed it.

How long is a piece of string?
    :awesome:

My 'friends' are exchanging 'notes' on How to Write A Personal Statement, but have yet to inform me I fail to see how you can get notes on how to write an entirely personal document; at our school, they said it should be two-thirds extra-curricular, one-third about your subject, which is the exact opposite to the advice given on here What do I do?!

(Original post by LuhLah)
    what speed ya running at :teeth:
    I dunno ... I can crank it up to 11 km/h for a little while before I feel like throwing up. :o: But I want to go at a consistent speed, like 6 km/h.

ReputationRep:
    What do I do?!
    Do whatever you feel is appropriate. I would suggest a heavier bias on academic traits is much less likely to backfire than the reverse, unless you have an extraordinary number of strongly subject-related extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:

My 'friends' are exchanging 'notes' on How to Write A Personal Statement, but have yet to inform me I fail to see how you can get notes on how to write an entirely personal document; at our school, they said it should be two-thirds extra-curricular, one-third about your subject, which is the exact opposite to the advice given on here What do I do?!
    ALWAYS make it revolved around about much you love the subject, and clubs/hobbies/skills/traits which are relevant. Noone cares if you rescued some random french town from a bomb, or if you guided your brownie group from a wild bear. Only include stuff if it's relevant OR if you got skills from it which are relevant. It's about you, and how much ya want to do English, not an essay. Screw yer school.

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see how you can get notes on how to write an entirely personal document; at our school, they said it should be two-thirds extra-curricular, one-third about your subject, which is the exact opposite to the advice given on here What do I do?!
    most definetely follow the advice on here. although i think music instruments/sports will interest the unis, i don't think they care about that time you helped out at a parents night for one of your prefect duties.

Screw my three 'friends' then :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I dunno ... I can crank it up to 11 km/h for a little while before I feel like throwing up. :o: But I want to go at a consistent speed, like 6 km/h.
    6km/h is 3.73mph according to google. 1/3.73 = 0.27. 0.27 x 60 = 16.2 minutes.

i think you should be aiming considerably higher. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Screw my three 'friends' then :awesome:
    If that's the case, I want to join in. :ninja:

Anyone actually finding weird logging into UCAS?!! I do.

ReputationRep:
    freshers week is amaaazing, but I came home today cos I needed a dinner hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    This. :p: As a guideline, I use 3.5 mph (5.6 km/h) as a guideline for walking speed, and I think I probably walk a little faster than that. I'm ridiculously out of shape and even I can average a smidgeon over 5 mph over about 4 miles.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't they have parallel gradients as in the same gradients?

mPK = mPM ?

:sigh:

I can't remember this stuff.

If they share the point P, then they can hardly be parallel! AHMaths:eek3:

(Original post by Dado Prso)
    6km/h is 3.73mph according to google. 1/3.73 = 0.27. 0.27 x 60 = 16.2 minutes.

Sounds ... painful. So, say I ran for 9 km/h ... how long would it take to run a mile? :o:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds ... painful. So, say I ran for 9 km/h ... how long would it take to run a mile? :o:
    Google is your friend

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    This. :p: As a guideline, I use 3.5 mph (5.6 km/h) as a guideline for walking speed, and I think I probably walk a little faster than that. I'm ridiculously out of shape and even I can average a smidgeon over 5 mph over about 4 miles.
    :beard: Interesting stuff. Have you ever had a 'runner's high'? I haven't :ninja:

(Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    Google is your friend
    Thank you :o:

ReputationRep:
    :beard: Interesting stuff. Have you ever had a 'runner's high'? I haven't :ninja:
    Er, I find exercise generally makes me feel better, as you'd expect (endorphins and all that), but nothing that I would remotely describe as a 'high'. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Corresponding quantities:
    Distance x traveled by light in a vacuum from x=ct:\n | 119.9 million miles\n | 1.93x10^8 km (kilometers)\n | 1.3 AU (astronomical units)
    Frequency nu from nu=1/T:\n | 0.001553 Hz (hertz)
    YAGNI

ReputationRep:
    others have already answered i see. i would say if you're in reasonable shape you should be aiming for about 6/7 minutes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.